Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum Members,
Is there anyone out there who can provide a Solstice photo with its top up? I cannot for the life of me seem to find one. Preferably I would like an actual hardtop on the car. Being a fan of the second gen Firebird (which had no actual convertability) I would like something reminiscient of that. The photo of the Solstice with its top up will either make or break my decision to purchase one depending on the feasability of modifying it for "hardtopability". I find it all quite bittersweet.

Thanks,

[email protected]

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with you, I love the Solstice and would buy one in a heart beat if GM would give it more HP (250HP to 300HP) and also come in a hard top.

·
Registered
56 Posts
MaKaVeLi said:
the caddy is like 70+ lol i'd rather buy a house than buy that car neways..
Oh, I thought he meant using the XLR hardtop system, no, I like the XLR a lot, but it is not a performence sport car, a cruiser may be (just my opinion), and I already have a 2002 Corvette, I like to have something to drive daily and have fun doing it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
There are a couple of top up photos in the June issue of Car & Driver but they indicated that it is not the final soft top (these were prototype cars). If the production top looks like the prototype it will not be that attractive in my opinion. That would not stop me from buying the car however. Especially after seeing this side shot of the car with the top down.

http://media.gm.com/events/productseminar/images/hires/X02CC_PN029H.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think there's some well expressed skepticism in an earlier thread about the Solstice getting a factory hardtop option. Aftermarket would also be difficult, I think, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Quiz Question: What was the first sports car to come with a hardtop option? I don't know the answer, but the BMW 507 had a truly beautiful detachable hardtop.

·
Registered
275 Posts
BMW 507 was introed in 1956 the same year the Corvette received a removable hardtop option (with a hoist). 1957 Ford retractable (Sunliner) was first automagic one. Thunderbird had a removable in 1955.

Now if you are just talking sports cars with hardtops, you can drop back to the "fixed head" and "closed" coupes of the '30s. Certainly both Standard Swallow and Rolls/Bentley had several in that period.

BTW I meant that if you wanted 300 hp and a hardtop, you could buy a Cadillac XLR instead of a Solstice. You can bet that GM will not allow the Sostice in stock form to be faster or even close to the XLR.

·
Registered
192 Posts
padgett said:
BMW 507 was introed in 1956 the same year the Corvette received a removable hardtop option (with a hoist).
Thunderbird, Corvette, and 507--all nice detachable hardtops. I love detachable hardtops on sports cars, perhaps my favorite option. The Z3 and Boxster look good with their hardtops, though most people do not get them. S2K is kind of boring stylingwise, but, in addition to the OEM hardtop, there's a cool fastback that's used in racing that may be brought to market, though it may be kind of impractical with the trunk. It will be a shame if no one figures out a way to add a nice detachable hartdop to the Solstice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guys Its A 20,000 Dollar Car...to Think Its Gonna Have A Hard Top Or A Ton Of Horsepower Is Crazy...that Would Make It A 30,000 Dollar Car And We Wouldnt Even Have This Forum If That Was The Case

·
Registered
192 Posts
mstorace said:
Guys Its A 20,000 Dollar Car...to Think Its Gonna Have A Hard Top Or A Ton Of Horsepower Is Crazy...that Would Make It A 30,000 Dollar Car And We Wouldnt Even Have This Forum If That Was The Case
The modest Miata has a detachable hardtop option. It's an option, not included in the base price. I'm not talking about a convertible hardtop. Sorry, thought that was obvious from the cars being mentioned. Anyway, I'm skeptical that the Solstice will offer this option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
padgett said:
BTW I meant that if you wanted 300 hp and a hardtop, you could buy a Cadillac XLR instead of a Solstice. You can bet that GM will not allow the Sostice in stock form to be faster or even close to the XLR.

Well, I like to have something small and fun to drive, it shouldn't be too difficult for GM to add a supercharger to the Ecotec engine making 200 to 250HP (I settle for that), I belived I read somewhere that a GM exec. said that a performence model will follow soon after. As for hardtop, I belive it is cheaper to manufacture the hardtop than the soft top.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The car will also lose its $20,000 price tag with a factory installed supercharger. Just how much extra would that option cost? My guess would be $5k or more. Add full leather and some extra amenities and your car is creeping past the $30k price range. That price tag wrestles with a whole lot of new competition.

-Whit

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Keep thinking about the last "entirely new" two seated open roadster with a folding hardtop and a 300horsepower V8 driving the rear wheels that the "American Revolution" spawned. Anyone want a two ton+ SSR? Really a steal at over $43,000! That's just $10/pound! Yes, GM's had a "weight problem" of late trying to satisfy everyone. I think we shouldn't encourage it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As to the question of removable hardtops, rest assured, there are people already looking at it. If the car really does sell for around 20k, and it is a sales success, then both Pontiac and a vibrant aftermarket will want to sell you one. In the case of the aftermarket, I would bet that the people who make tops are looking at the possibilities right now using photoshop, CAD programs and good old pencil and paper. They know there's a good chance that there's going to be strong demand, and they will want to be prepared with a plan in mind so they can reduce R&D time and get thier top to market quick. It'll happen. :cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I sure hope you're right, Dave (AeroDave). I'd like to see how they pull it off, though, with the way the trunk opens. I had a hardtop for my Miata, and loved it when I needed it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
there still is a possability for a removable hardtop since there is a few inch gap between the beginig of the trunk and the cab of the car. this can be seen in the photo with the trunk and hood open. I am not sure how good the car will look, but it does appear that it is possible to add a hardtop. Also, i would like to believe that when designing the car pontiac saw that a removable hardtop was popular on other convertibles (miata etc.) and incorporated that into the design.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts