Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally did a full detail of the paint this weekend. Wash, clay, polish, wax, and sealant. While I'm still not completely pleased with the results, it's getting there. (As I told the wife, the more I improve it, the more I want perfection - lol!)

Used Klasse high gloss sealant and glaze for the final pass. Applied with a jeweling pad, low speed on my dual action buffer. This stuff buffed off EXTREMELY hard. Nice results, but was a pain in the a$$ to take off with a micro fiber towel.

Anybody else have experience with this? Are other sealants that difficult to buff off or did I overdo it with the d/a buffer?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I'll tell ya' about my experiences with Klasse in a few days as I'm gonna pick up a bottle in a few days and do my car. I suspect you used too much product which is why you had trouble taking it off. Check out the instructions below. I have hi lighted the part where they talk about the product being difficult to remove.

http://www.eshine.ca/klasse_article.htm

Klasse Sealant Glaze Application by Hand

While the Klasse All-In-One is applied easily, Sealant Glaze can be temperamental, and the Application/removal procedure should be followed closely.
Work in a shaded area out of direct sunlight and on a cool surface. This allows for longer curing time and allows the Klasse Sealant Glaze to be worked longer before hazing.
Klasse Sealant Glaze should be applied with a Fine Foam Applicator such as our Black Sealant Applicator. Using the proper applicator with Klasse Sealant Glaze is crucial to ensure a thin/even application. If Klasse Sealant Glaze is applied too thickly or unevenly, it will be very difficult to remove.
Wet the Applicator, then wring out any excess water. The applicator should be evenly damp, but not wet. To dry the applicator you can place the applicator in a towel and squeeze; this leaves the applicator damp, but not wet.
Place a quarter sized dab on the applicator and apply with large overlapping strokes. It is a good idea to follow the contour of each vehicle. Move in a moderate speed, little to no pressure is required. Do one section at a time (e.g., half hood, one fender etc) with each quarter sized dap of Klasse Sealant Glaze. Klasse Sealant Glaze should be applied so thin that the product is difficult to see when applied!
If applicator starts to get dirty or dry, rinse applicator with water and wring out again.
Klasse Sealant Glaze can be applied/removed in two ways for maximum ease,
Wipe-On, Wipe-Off. This method involved simply applying the Sealant on smaller sections at a time and removing immediately. It is a good idea to let sit for approximately 15 seconds. Many find this way reduces the chance of difficult removal and find the end result is unaffected. OR,
Apply the Sealant Glaze to the entire vehicle before you start to remove the residue. The longer you let Sealant Glaze Dry, the easier it is to remove. Many customers even let it sit overnight!
Remove with a plush microfiber towel. If the product is caked on and difficult to remove, you applied too much product. Try thinner application on the next panel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I apply mine pretty much as Sly Bob posted. Black pad on the PC, low speed, no pressure, relatively quick passes, and as thin as possible. I let it sit as long as I can, usually applying on Saturday and buffing it off on Sunday with a microfiber and a little bit of detail spray. It comes right off and stays tough for a long time!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I thought I may have put it on too heavily. At the time I thought I was using it quite sparingly. I was hoping it meant it would be very durable (as Josh stated) since it was difficult to remove. Good info for next time!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Yeah, I've put products on before heavier than I was supposed to an fought to get them off, products from a bunch of manufacturers. With most of today's hi tech products less is more.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have to state that my better half and I started to detail the paint for the upcoming "driving season". After 3 years of polishing and using the Klasse sealant, this years clay bar treatment went extremely quickly. Hardly anything being rubbed out of the paint surface.

My bride isn't as "into it" as I am, but she could tell the different when she came to the back of the doors and the rear wheel wells - she was picking up and taking out dirt and could feel it.

Between the two of us it only took about an hour to do the whole car. Polish and sealant to follow tomorrow.

I'm sure other synthetic waxes/sealants would perform similarly, but if you've not used one I'd recommend you try it. A bit of work to begin with but saves you effort in the long run!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I'm gonna either try the Silica based protectant this year or Liquid Glass....it's expensive and hard to work with, but I've heard it's worth the effort and $$$. This is the stuff I was going to use: CQUARTZ Finest I was going to have it done, but I'm not paying a company $700 to put it on!! So instead I'll order it off ebay and do it myself. I've always liked Simoniz because it really shines after a waxing. Even though I know that I do it backwards, it really brings out the shine after the wax.

On a side note, do you know where I can get a dual action buffer Chicken? I have an orbital and my rotary (to wheel the car out), but want a dual action polisher this year to do a more professional job.... Do you know of a good brand (cheap of course!! LOL) that I should look at? I used to use the commercial one we had at the dealership with dual heads as well.... Also what polish to cut the scratches with it? Meguiar's swirl remover just doesn't get the deep ones out!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've read good things about the CQuartz product - though it does appear to be a project to apply.

I bought a Porter Cable DA buffer through Autogeek.net and it's worked well. I've read many buy a cheap one through Harbor Freight and are happy with it. I'm leery of buying "cheap" anythings anymore, but I guess it's all relative to how often you use it versus how long you expect it to last. If you're doing it right, you're not buffing that frequently so you might be able to get away with a cheaper one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts