Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an article on AOL front page today discussing the continuing finanical woes at GM, whose first quarter losses are apparently their worst since 1992 (sorry, I don't know how to link to the article since it's not accessible through the Internet but only to AOL users). The article states that in response, GM may have to "retire" its two poorest performing divisions, Buick and Pontiac. What would that mean for all of us considering purchasing the Solstice? If GM retires Pontiac, are we left high-and-dry with no dealerships to provide service, honor warranties, etc., or would we simply take our cars to other GM dealerships? Should this news dissuade one from considering buying the Solstice?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
That's old news. Man AOL really is slow. :D Since those comments were made, GM has stated that they are not dropping anymore divisions. They are however, going to put Pontiac, GMC, and Buick into one dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
THis is pretty much old news. If it does happen it won't be for several years down the road. Actually GM is going to consolidate, under dealership roofs anyway, Buick/Pontiac/GMC. This will allow GM to eliminate some model duplication, and emphasis more distinct vehicles within each division. Combined annual sales of over 1,000,000 a year would make this a pretty powerful combo!
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Pontiac is not going anywhere, anytime soon.

AS pass said, they are combining Buick, Pontiac, and GMC dealers all in one dealership. This actually isn't a new plan, as they have about 50% of these dealers already under one roof. Once they complete it, they will scale back each makes product line to about 4-5 models, allowing GM to concentrate each makes cars towards it's supposed strength. Trucks/full frame SUV's to GMC, bigger, plusher, more luxurious cars to Buick, sportier cars to Pontiac.

If GM does phase out Pontiac, it will be many years down the road. It took GM to phase out Oldsmobile from the time they announced it was through, so even if GM announced Pontiac will die tomorrow, you'd likely see Pontiacs for sale until 2010.

As for warranty issues, it is a GM warranty, and any dealership would honor it. In fact, with Oldsmobile they offered a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty to buyers instead of the typical 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
GM dealerships would claim the warranty, and would honor it as suggested. But this does mean that parts not covered by GMPP warrenty (Panels, and other non-mechanical parts) would be very hard to find replacements, and might even be very expensive once all the warrenties have expired. However, I honestly do not think they're going to shut down Pontiac. They've spent SO much money on the G6 and Solstice that they'd be retarded to have wasted that money. They'd be taking an even bigger hit by doing so.

On a side note, I do know that Buick is definately on the way out. I haven't quite figured out why GM let Saturn (one of the higher performance companies) create a clone of the Solstice when Pontiac needs all the help they can get. And the sky is a BIG deturent to buying Pontiac. Very dumb move on their behalf. There are NO incentives to buying Pontiac anymore. It used to be that Pontiac was like a more luxurious Chevy, but has slowly but painfully moved into the same class as Chevy. GM wouldn't allow any similarities between the Corvette and any other car, trying to give more people insentive to buy the Corvette. However, by doing so, this helped eliminate F-bodies which was a HUGE part of Pontiac, being that they had many models of the Firebird. In retrospect, if the Firebird had the option for the HUD, do you think their sales would have been drastically higher? Probably not, but I bet little extras here and there that they removed to make the Vette seem so much better would have kept the F-Bodies rolling along.

Either way, what does Pontiac offer now? GTO (Which they messed up on baddly), Solstice (Which might not be as successful as the Sky due to terrible marketing), Grand Prix (Which is on it's way out to be replaced by a lesser car), and their economy cars (which have less sales then Dodge neons). Fact remains that GM messed up by not marketing right, not having at least one aftermarket provider from the show room floor, and getting greedy with the nich vehicles (like the Vette and SSR).

I'm a big GM fan, but they've screwed up, and it looks like they're going down piece by piece. I guess we can expect them to be getting help from the Govt in a few years if they don't straighten up and fly right.

Sorry for the long post.
Matt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Magnezium said:
On a side note, I do know that Buick is definately on the way out. I haven't quite figured out why GM let Saturn (one of the higher performance companies) create a clone of the Solstice when Pontiac needs all the help they can get. And the sky is a BIG deturent to buying Pontiac. Very dumb move on their behalf. There are NO incentives to buying Pontiac anymore. It used to be that Pontiac was like a more luxurious Chevy, but has slowly but painfully moved into the same class as Chevy. GM wouldn't allow any similarities between the Corvette and any other car, trying to give more people insentive to buy the Corvette. However, by doing so, this helped eliminate F-bodies which was a HUGE part of Pontiac, being that they had many models of the Firebird. In retrospect, if the Firebird had the option for the HUD, do you think their sales would have been drastically higher? Probably not, but I bet little extras here and there that they removed to make the Vette seem so much better would have kept the F-Bodies rolling along.

Either way, what does Pontiac offer now? GTO (Which they messed up on baddly), Solstice (Which might not be as successful as the Sky due to terrible marketing), Grand Prix (Which is on it's way out to be replaced by a lesser car), and their economy cars (which have less sales then Dodge neons). Fact remains that GM messed up by not marketing right, not having at least one aftermarket provider from the show room floor, and getting greedy with the nich vehicles (like the Vette and SSR).

I'm a big GM fan, but they've screwed up, and it looks like they're going down piece by piece. I guess we can expect them to be getting help from the Govt in a few years if they don't straighten up and fly right.

Sorry for the long post.
Matt.
Even though I see that you own a T/A, I sense a heavy bias. Do you feel wronged by Pontiac that they dropped the F-body? It was old & outdated, and the 2002's we have seem just like the 86 my folks had. Maybe it could have been saved, we'll never know.

Buick isn't going anywhere as long as there are AARP cards. It's a cheaper Cadillac. Old people like bargains. Saturn as a "higher performance company?" Saturn is the "first time buyer" car. Entry level, plastic body, high residual...if you buy another Saturn. Besides that, Saturn and Pontiac don't even compete for the same market. It [Saturn] is a good product, but it is not performance. Pontiac is THE performance division of GM. Period.

As far as a Corvette is concerned, yeah, there is nothing else that can touch it....except a GTO, and for 1/2 the price. Even if some people think the car looks like a dog b/c the Mustang came out w/ a retro look and the magazines ate it up even though it was slower and ...too many points to get into here.....where is there an economy Pontiac? Sunfire is gone, part of long-term marketing. Performance isn't economical. Go buy a Chevy Aveo or Cobalt if you want economy. Pontiac = Action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
Magnezium said:
I haven't quite figured out why GM let Saturn (one of the higher performance companies) create a clone of the Solstice when Pontiac needs all the help they can get. And the sky is a BIG deturent to buying Pontiac.
Except for sharing the same basic platform, the two are very different cars. If anything, I think the Solstice will be more successful than the Sky. The Solstice is a completely new look unlike anything else out there. I think the Sky shares a lot more similarities to several other vehicles out there and is much more easily lumped in as just another roadster among the already crowded market. And the Solstice comes in at a price lower than the competition, which gives it an edge in the marketplace. People willing to spend over $25k for the Sky have a lot more cars to choose from.

At any rate, the look of the Solstice is what convinced a longtime GM-hater like myself to give them a shot. I would hardly give the Sky a second glance. Just my opinion, but I also just saw a couple of people in another thread mention they're both selling their Porsche Boxsters and picking up a Solstice. That's a pretty strong indication of the reaction this car is getting.

Magnezium said:
Either way, what does Pontiac offer now? GTO (Which they messed up on baddly), Solstice (Which might not be as successful as the Sky due to terrible marketing)
The marketing of the Solstice was a huge success. There were so many people trying to buy a car on the first day of the Early Order Program that their systems were locked up for almost the first half hour. And even with all the computer problems, the cars were gone in about forty minutes. Then, they continued to waitlist more than 5000 people. It seems that most dealers have already sold out their first four-month allocation even though they haven't even delivered a single customer car yet. There may be a certain amount of attrition because of some delays, but it appears that the vast majority of people are willing to wait it out for their sweet new ride. GM certainly has some problems, but their marketing for the Solstice is by no means one of them.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
Solstice/Sky/Boxster

SlySol said:
... People willing to spend over $25k for the Sky have a lot more cars to choose from.

At any rate, the look of the Solstice is what convinced a longtime GM-hater like myself to give them a shot. ...

It was my only time to drive a Boxster that rekindled my desire for a top-down 2-seater. :willy: As a college professor, the average Porsche (even the relatively affordable Boxster) is way out of my range. The Solstice hits right where I can afford to spend. :yesnod: AND, it looks like a million dollars!

If the Solstice dies before I (Lord willing!) get one next year (and I don't expect that at all), and the Sky is still available at $26-28K, I'll probably just wait one more semester, save up my pennies and spring $30-31 for a used Boxster.

Just my 2-cents from the plains of West Texas.

--Chemist
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Pontiac Wave and Pontac Pursuit
Not in the US.

The lowest, cheapest Pontiac for the US is the Vibe. Pontiac declined the Pursuit, because it is a badge engineered Cobalt, and isn't the Wave a rebadged Chevy Aveo?

The US lineup right now is:

Sunfire (dead after 2005)
Vibe
G6
Grand Prix
Bonneville (dead after 2005)
Montana
Torrent (New for 2006)
Solstice (New for 2006)
GTO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
conejo148 said:
Even though I see that you own a T/A, I sense a heavy bias. Do you feel wronged by Pontiac that they dropped the F-body? It was old & outdated, and the 2002's we have seem just like the 86 my folks had. Maybe it could have been saved, we'll never know.

Buick isn't going anywhere as long as there are AARP cards. It's a cheaper Cadillac. Old people like bargains. Saturn as a "higher performance company?" Saturn is the "first time buyer" car. Entry level, plastic body, high residual...if you buy another Saturn. Besides that, Saturn and Pontiac don't even compete for the same market. It [Saturn] is a good product, but it is not performance. Pontiac is THE performance division of GM. Period.

As far as a Corvette is concerned, yeah, there is nothing else that can touch it....except a GTO, and for 1/2 the price. Even if some people think the car looks like a dog b/c the Mustang came out w/ a retro look and the magazines ate it up even though it was slower and ...too many points to get into here.....where is there an economy Pontiac? Sunfire is gone, part of long-term marketing. Performance isn't economical. Go buy a Chevy Aveo or Cobalt if you want economy. Pontiac = Action.
I don't feel wronged.. I'm pissed that the f-body could have been saved, but GM did NOTHING to save it.

What I meant by Saturn being a "High performance company", I meant that it sells far more... High performance in sales. Sorry for the confussion. Absolutely, you're right about Pontiac being the High Performance Devision and both companies competing at dif markets. But the Pontiac devision NEEDS the sales from the Solstice far more then Saturn needs the sales from the Sky. The Sky is a deturrent to the Solstice because of the markets that they share.

As for the GTO, don't get me started... Just so you know, GM put a computer in the LS2s that are in the GTOs that limits the WOT function. If the computer senses that you're "abusing" WOT, it restricts you down... Check the real stats on the LS2 GTOs against the LS1 GTOs... The 1/4 miles are almost identical! As far as I know, they haven't figured out how to crack it yet. Basically, GM is saying "You've paid for this 400HP LS2, but we're only going to let you use it for the test drive and after that, you get demoted." :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Not in the US.

The lowest, cheapest Pontiac for the US is the Vibe. Pontiac declined the Pursuit, because it is a badge engineered Cobalt, and isn't the Wave a rebadged Chevy Aveo?

The US lineup right now is:

Sunfire (dead after 2005)
Vibe
G6
Grand Prix
Bonneville (dead after 2005)
Montana
Torrent (New for 2006)
Solstice (New for 2006)
GTO
nteresting that they "refused" a badge engineered Chevy in favor of a badge engineered Toyota (Vibe). And yes I like th elooks of our Vibe better than the Matrix but wish it came with AWD in GT trim. Are you listening, GM? Of course you are, listening , yes; paying attention, sometimes.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top