Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

No more waxing or sealing

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  solstice1319 
#1 ·
No more waxing or sealing your finish anymore!!! Ever hear that statement before? I hear it allot and it seems that car dealers are passing this misinformation around. I think that in order to justify the outrageous prices they charge for their paint sealant application, (around here anywhere from $600-$900) they tell people do it once and you never have to do it again. I guess if you look at it from their distorted view point, I can say I don’t ever have to take a shower either. But if you don’t want people to run away from you, you better take care of your hygiene. You really don’t have to ever wax or seal your car either, however if you want it to look good and be protected, you had better do something to protect and enhance the finish. In my detailing clinics I’m shocked at the amount of people that fall prey to false statements about car care. When it gets right down to it, the clear coat system (on most cars made from late 70’s to present) is only 4 mils thick which is like a piece of paper. In order to achieve clarity, color enhancement, slickness, reflectivity, depth, and over shine, you need to apply the best sacrificial layer of protection you can on the top of your finish. When I get a car in that is going to show, it takes work to create a mirror finish. Most of the time people ask how I get outstanding results the way I do, and I tell them all the same thing. All you need is the right products, and know how to use them. Seems simple enough, but I still get cars in my shop that people attempt to do themselves and do damage to the finish. The reason I am here is to answer those questions and to offer advice so you don’t mess up your beauty. Gary

See less See more
#2 ·
turbomangt said:
No more waxing or sealing your finish anymore!!! Ever hear that statement before? I hear it allot and it seems that car dealers are passing this misinformation around. I think that in order to justify the outrageous prices they charge for their paint sealant application, (around here anywhere from $600-$900) they tell people do it once and you never have to do it again. I guess if you look at it from their distorted view point, I can say I don’t ever have to take a shower either. But if you don’t want people to run away from you, you better take care of your hygiene. You really don’t have to ever wax or seal your car either, however if you want it to look good and be protected, you had better do something to protect and enhance the finish. In my detailing clinics I’m shocked at the amount of people that fall prey to false statements about car care. When it gets right down to it, the clear coat system (on most cars made from late 70’s to present) is only 4 mils thick which is like a piece of paper. In order to achieve clarity, color enhancement, slickness, reflectivity, depth, and over shine, you need to apply the best sacrificial layer of protection you can on the top of your finish. When I get a car in that is going to show, it takes work to create a mirror finish. Most of the time people ask how I get outstanding results the way I do, and I tell them all the same thing. All you need is the right products, and know how to use them. Seems simple enough, but I still get cars in my shop that people attempt to do themselves and do damage to the finish. The reason I am here is to answer those questions and to offer advice so you don’t mess up your beauty. Gary

I AM a dealer and I completely agree with you. When I am selling a car, especially a nice one. I always tell them that the paint sealant is crap and that you should immediately give the car to a true detail shop and let them give the car a proper paint protection.

#3 ·
Gary, what is a fair price to have your car detailed. I would like to have my car done, when we get it, by a professional. I would like the inside and outside done. I know you have talked about the out side getting done. What should we do with the interior, since it will be exposed to some of the elements too.

#4 ·
I charge $225 for interior and exterior (includes engine also) interior should include
carpet vac and extracting (make sure they don't use a shop vac) only a professional extractor will deep clean the carpet. Clean and condition leather. clean console, dash, doors vents, headliner, and trim, rubber door seals, chrome, door jams should be sealed as well. All plastic vinyl should be dressed with a WATER BASED DRESSING no solvent stuff like armor all. Gary

#5 ·
Unfortunately (and $598 later) my wife got stuck with that crap on her car. Our dealer has a policy (money maker) of putting it on all their new vehicles, even special order. Her car arrived last tuesday morning and by the time we picked it up that evening, the MSRP had gone up almost $600. Otherwise the deal went very smooth. I tried to argue, but to no availe. Wouldn't take my Supplier discount either, but I tried.

Sly, two-tone, all options but XM, On-Star, and smokers. VIN 1771

#6 ·
Well now that the secret is out that I got my car I can finally talk about it and ask the questions I've had for the last couple days.

Gary, my dealer put the 'Auto Butler Premier Paint Protection II' on my car. Is this pretty much the same thing that you did to that orange Lambo? I think I remember you said you did it by hand. When I went to pick my car up it was not yet ready, he took me back to it where it had stuff swirled all over it. He told me they were waxing it up, but I assume that it was the paint protection.

I actually got a package (wasn't really my choice, so I don't know if it's a good deal or not) that he told me to bring the car back to the dealership every 6 months for the next 5 years, and they re-apply the paint protection. So is it basically the same?

Another couple questions. I have noticed that already I have lots of mini swirl marks all over my beautiful car. Is that on the protective layer? Will it go away when they re-apply? Also, they told me NOT to wax the car as it isn't good for the protective layer. Is that true? And if so then what sort of things are safe for the surface?

I have issues with waterspots and I want to keep my car looking as glassy as possible. Here is a method I thought of, tell me what you think: I have a spray bottle with 99% Isopropyl alcohol that I mist onto the car, and then wipe it away with a deerskin chamois. Will this deteriorate my paint protection? Also, the directions for the chamois say to wash it after use with mild soap. Is hand soap fine? I'm not supposed to use dish soap right? Also, the black spots I get on the chamois from dirty areas (around the license plate)... do those permanently stain the deerskin or should they wash completely out?

If you recommend something different from what I'm using/doing PLEASE let me know!

#9 ·
I have to be carefull how to word this because I'm still waiting for my sponsorship to be authorized. Most synthetic paint sealants are not that expensive. Dealers over charge because they prey on uneducated people. Most people get intimidated by the sound of paint sealant and think only a pro can apply it. Nothing can be further from the truth. That Lambo you saw the picture of that I posted earlier? I charged the dealer $150 which is fair for 3 hours labor. He charged the customer $750. AND HE DIDN'T DO A THING!@!!! In my business I focus on educating people and teach them how to save money and how to apply professional grade products themselves. Chemicals are NOT expensive. I have had people ask me about Zaino, Zymol and other brands. these are way over priced retail products that target people that go by what other people are saying. and who are these "other" people? they are not professionals. Since I teach detailing at Colleges and High Schools, I get asked many questions. In general people are confused by the over whelming amount of products on the market today. Doesn't suprise me since its a billion dollar industry. One thing I will say. the people that I teach tell me I make the decision process alot simpler for them, Gary

#10 ·
turbomangt,

I don't have my Solstice yet, but I really appreciate your input here. I am a chemistry professor and understand (at least somewhat) the chemistry of car polishes and sealants. I am really looking forward to your being able to tell us more specifics on what products we can get.

Thank you for your participation in this forum.

--Chemist

#13 ·
The "rust" colored dots your friend saw on his Solstice was rail dust. one of the biggest contaminants on new cars. How it happpens. When the car is shipped on the trian, the friction between the steel wheels against the steel tracks creates micro metal fibers that are red hot and float into the air. They end up sticking right on the cars finish. To remove, they make a chemical designed to remove it, sometimes clay will work also. I wouldn't go the acid wash, dealers always take the easy fastest way to do anything, not always the best way however. Most of the techology dealers are using is 10 years old. Nobody teaches or educates them on what is new. Hell they still use high speed buffers on new cars when detailing which is a huge NO NO. I have gone in to a few dealers to teach the staff how to detail, but few really care about the detailing department, they focus on what makes them money, which is selling cars and selling the $800 paint seal package. Gary

#15 ·
Chemist said:
turbomangt,

I don't have my Solstice yet, but I really appreciate your input here. I am a chemistry professor and understand (at least somewhat) the chemistry of car polishes and sealants. I am really looking forward to your being able to tell us more specifics on what products we can get.

Thank you for your participation in this forum.

--Chemist
Gary, I appreciate your posts also for the information we need to take care of our babies. Look forward to more detailed information as to what we need to do. How about a specific checklist for what we need to do when we receive our new car and periodic cleaning we need to do to protect the interior and exterior of our solstice. thanks alot man.

#17 ·
I would guess you would save a lot of money by applying it yourself.

Too much work for me. Besides, when would I find the time? I'm always here on the Forum! :)

So, I gladly paid Bubbles Car Wash to do the Zymol for me. It's Carnauba, or however you spell it, just a higher percentage, so I've been told.

Let the experts tell the true story here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.