Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Chicken Wire,
You asked me to keep you posted so here goes. I spent the weekend and buffed 09 GXP Coupe out. Being as it is black, even though it has less than 500 miles on it there were still dealer installed swirl marks and the black didn't look as deep as I would like. So I used a really light compound and a swirl remover and went to town on the car. Seemed to lift the majority and looked great. Now the issue was how to seal or wax it so I could minimize the the time it takes to wash it. I hate to drive a dirty car but I refuse to take it through the swirl-o-matic car wash. I was anxious to try a hydrophobic sealant.

I researched Opti Coat 2.0 and it seemed to be the best solution. It took less than an hour to apply and it looked outstanding. But here is the best part. It started to rain today on my way home. I figured for sure I was going to have to wash the car before I put it away for a few days. I was wet but looked clean. I just went out to the garage to see how bad it was now that it has dried and it was incredible. It looked like it had never been out today. My Camaro (not treated till this weekend) showed the rain and all the dirt that came with it. But the Solstice looked awesome and since this is permanent it should be like this for the next few years.

This is the first time I have used a sealant like this but I thought it might cut down on the time I spend trying to keep all the cars looking good. I don't sell the product, I don't have any interest in it other than telling you I was very impressed and it was super easy. Here is the car, after the driving home in the rain and then just letting it dry without any intervention. The pictures are dark because of the current crappy weather but you can see the shine a bit. Notice the only thing on the camaro that shines is the reflector.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Sweet BG! I may or may not have stated that I've used the Klasse sealant on both my Sol and my friend's Miata (pics on another thread.) My buddy's car is a daily and/or shop car so it gets driven no matter the weather. I noticed today when I visited his shop on business that it still looked pretty clean especially given that he's been driving for several weeks in rainy spring weather. It's still spraying off quite nicely with minimal water spots.

The Klasse sealant claims 12 months, but like I said, I wash the snot outta my car so I don't think it holds up that long (or at least I won't trust it to, lol). The Opti-Coat claims 2 years?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
boatguy who sells this---> Opti Coat 2.0 ? and is the swirl remover in it or another product ? Thanks in advance Bobby The Coupe does LOOK Good

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Opti Coat 2.0 says it's permanent. That is to say it's as permanent as the clearcoat on a car would be since it bonds to that. I have a friend in Florida who is onto his second year and it still performs like it was just applied. I have never been a fan of sealents and he won me over by letting me wash his truck. I was in awe so that's why I did it. I too wash the cars alot but I am taking a different approach this year. I have a foam cannon on the pressure washer, and I am no longer going to towel dry the cars. I am going to a lubricated waterless wipedown after washing. I figure it will be faster and save me those annoying scratches I get even with a two bucket wash and a grit guard. My wife thinks I am obsessive, I prefer to think I am just thorough.

Lots of pro detailers sell it but I learned most about it on autogeek.net and I read for days on how, and who uses it. I used a super light compound for my swirl remover. I got lazy after my last post and had a friend who is a car painter take the vette and he is doing the prep on it tomorrow. I will still do the Opti Coat application cause its easy and I am lazy.

I just keep scratching my head because I never had a car that looked that good after being driven in the rain. I had never heard the hydrophobic but it is a riot to watch the water actually try and escape the surface. Hopefully by next week all the cars will be done and then we can get some freakin decent weather....

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts