Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove back from my office today and my Sol suddenly lost power, even in second gear. I get to 2500 rpm and there is no power unless I can coax the rpm up to over 4K. Even with my foot to the floor I have nothing under me. It's a major change since I have a performance muffler and a CAI, I'm not used to not having power. I've never experience anything like this before. Anyone have the same problem, and if so, how did you correct it? My Sol is staying parked until Moday when I can get it to my dealer unless the problem is a simple do-it-yourself fix. :willy:

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
For what it is worth I would try the "Battery Disconnect" for 30 minutes trick and if that does not do anything then yes I would have it at the dealer first thing on Monday ... by the way that does SUCK :brentil:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GREAT IDEA. I'm going to go out now and disconect the battery and see what happens in a half hour.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worse than that....we are supposed to have rain tomorrow so we aren't going to run. We're going to go help bb doc clay bar his car. If my Sol is still sick I'll have to drive my S-10....quite a demotion from my Sol.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Worse than that....we are supposed to have rain tomorrow so we aren't going to run. We're going to go help bb doc clay bar his car. If my Sol is still sick I'll have to drive my S-10....quite a demotion from my Sol.
I stole Devo from Deb today and clayed him. Holy Toledo, I don't think he was that clean the day we picked him up.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clay bar is good! :)

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Clay bar is good! :)
Let me tell you that Devo was a real "Whitemare", little black specs and stuff all over him. If it would just do something for all the stone chips and door dings I would be all set. You will be glad to hear that his tailpipe is all nice and shiny again.
Anyway back to the no power, You haven't sucked up any water that could have gotten to the MAF sensor have you? Ethan's Riviera acted like that when his MAF went bad.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still No Luck!

I just took Nittany for a run and she is still sick. I was talking to Moms and she asked me about gas. I gassed up today at a station that I normally don't stop at. It's a name station, just not one of my regulars. She suggested the possibility of bad gas. On my run I stopped and got a can of dry gas and added it to my full tank. Still no good but it may take awhile to fully mix. If I push the car it will run to around 5500 and then start to break up. It will almost stall and I have to coax it along. I'm going to see how she runs in the AM after the dry gas has been in her tank all night. If don't have any luck it will be a quick trip to the Dealer on Monday.

·
4,592 Posts
fuel filter?

I know you have a lot of miles, it's possible.

also, if a gas station has recently recevied gas, it's possible sediment got stirred in the tanks, and I've heard stories of that sediment being enough to clog a new filter. since you mentioned a fill up, it's a possibility.

just a thought. I wonder how easy/hard it is to get to the filter, it might be worth a quick trip to pep boys (they did mine on the truck).

I had a filter go once, and had veery little power, I limped 100 miles into vegas before I could get it diagnosed.

i also had a poor running engine once on my truck due to gas filter.

hope that might help!

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I was waiting to hear what the reset did, too bad it wasn't simple. It might be one of a dozen things and guessing isn't gonna fix it tonight.

You haven't just turned 36,000 mi. and hit the warranty time out feature that we build into the computers now, have you?

:glol: :glol: :glol: :glol:

For those that don't understand humor, that was a joke.
No need to have this become the topic of discussion for the next week.:willy:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
does it sound different??

the third week i had m car, i was driving and suddenly its bogged down and it had no power whatsoever, i mean it still ran, but god it felt like i was alwyas in a low gear.. turned out that a harness for the cylinder 3 and 4 came loose and my dealer fixed it in like 10 minutes..

·
Registered
481 Posts
fuel filter?

I know you have a lot of miles, it's possible.

also, if a gas station has recently recevied gas, it's possible sediment got stirred in the tanks, and I've heard stories of that sediment being enough to clog a new filter. since you mentioned a fill up, it's a possibility.

just a thought. I wonder how easy/hard it is to get to the filter, it might be worth a quick trip to pep boys (they did mine on the truck).

I had a filter go once, and had veery little power, I limped 100 miles into vegas before I could get it diagnosed.

i also had a poor running engine once on my truck due to gas filter.

hope that might help!
:agree: :agree:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I drove back from my office today and my Sol suddenly lost power, even in second gear. I get to 2500 rpm and there is no power unless I can coax the rpm up to over 4K. Even with my foot to the floor I have nothing under me. It's a major change since I have a performance muffler and a CAI, I'm not used to not having power. I've never experience anything like this before. Anyone have the same problem, and if so, how did you correct it? My Sol is staying parked until Moday when I can get it to my dealer unless the problem is a simple do-it-yourself fix. :willy:
Ex-Miata Man is the new hard top Miata looking better every day!!;)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
O.K. I'm stupid. What's clay bar?

It is a specail type of clay (really) that is used for detailing the body of a car. Use the search function and enter either "clay" or "clay bar" and some threads willpop up. Used properly, clay bars are amazing.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My .02, it sounds like it might be an ignition problem. Either a coil gone south or an ignition module (more likely a coil). Drive it gingerly to the dealer and tell them you have mis-fire problems. Any warning lights popping up in the gauge cluster?

I just noticed your signiture "32,000+ miles." Get it to the dealer soon. I'm even more inclined to call it an ignition coil problem at this point. Should be an easy fix, but you might as well get it done under warranty!

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
didn't you have starting problems last spring too?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No difference so far this AM. I bought the full 5 year 100K warranty with the car, but I still want this to be corrected as soon as possible. I feel naked driving my S-10 compared to my Sol. I'm going to check the connections and maybe try the fuel filter myself later today. THANKS EVERYONE for the advise. I'll post what I finally find out.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts