Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to this, but I need some help and didn't see this question answered anywhere.

Just bought a 2006 Solstice - great car, and I really enjoy it so far. However, I can't get my emissions test because there's no power to the OBD2 port. I checked all my fuses (literally checked every single one under the passenger dash and under the hood), followed my wires from the port to the firewall, everything looks fine.

Just installed some new interior lighting, but used the wiper fuse for power. Lights work fine and wipers work fine, so I don't think that's the issue either. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
Although your lights are working you may want to undo that mod and see what the results are.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have read the ignition switch is the most common problem and I have read it could be the 12v fuse. If not, dealerships use a different scan tool (or should) that "cheap" or "cheaper" scan tools can not pick up or get power to.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
According to the wiring diagram I have, the power to OBD is "always on" sourced via fuse #29 in the under-hood fuse box. The wire comes direct from that fuse and no other equipment or connectors are in-line.

I suggest you check fuse 29 very carefully. Either test for voltage with a meter, or just replace it if you don't have one, because fuses can look good but be bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 2008 Solstice. But I look under hood at fuses and there's no 29 fuse in it. But the OBD 2 port was working before so help me figure that out please. The check engine light is on to. Help me please.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Like soup says, the OBD port is always on, key or no key. I would check not only the #29 fuse but continuity in the fuse holder as well. according to my schematics, #29 fuse is a 15A and is for the data link connection.

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 2008 Solstice. But I look under hood at fuses and there's no 29 fuse in it. But the OBD 2 port was working before so help me figure that out please. The check engine light is on to. Help me please.
First, welcome to the forum.

Do you mean that there is not a fuse in the #29 space? If you could take and post a picture of the inside of the fuse block it may help.

What are you trying to do that you believe that the port is not working? I am going to gues that you are trying to read the code that is causing the service engine light to be on, but it would be good to have confirmation, as well as some information about how you are doing that.

Is there anything else that doesn't work? Other than the service engine light, are yo having any problems?

·
Registered
11 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

Do you mean that there is not a fuse in the #29 space? If you could take and post a picture of the inside of the fuse block it may help.

What are you trying to do that you believe that the port is not working? I am going to gues that you are trying to read the code that is causing the service engine light to be on, but it would be good to have confirmation, as well as some information about how you are doing that.

Is there anything else that doesn't work? Other than the service engine light, are yo having any problems?
I took it to auto zone and they couldn't read it cause it was not working. Then took it to another place samething.. My blower motor quit. But it popped on the other day so I think it works. Might be loose wire don't know. I don't have a fuse 29. There is no fuse in that spot. Hasent been since I owned the car. And the port worked. Explain that. Help. I'll send picture so you'll know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took it to auto zone and they couldn't read it cause it was not working. Then took it to another place samething.. My blower motor quit. But it popped on the other day so I think it works. Might be loose wire don't know. I don't have a fuse 29. There is no fuse in that spot. Hasent been since I owned the car. And the port worked. Explain that. Help. I'll send picture so you'll know.
Its not the service engine light, its the check engine like light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its not the service engine light, its the check engine light

·
Super Moderator
7,143 Posts
To provide some more background:
  • Under what circumstances did you use the port previously? How long ago?
  • Did the engine light come on first, or did you find that the port didn't work first?
Its not the service engine light, its the check engine like light.
Service Engine and Check Engine refer to the samr light, I'm sorry for that confusion.

My suggestion is that you put a 15A fuse in spot #29 and check to see if the port iworks. It can't hurt anything, and may be a quick solution.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
  • Did the engine light come on first, or did you find that the port didn't work first?
Service Engine and Check Engine refer to the samr light, I'm sorry for that confusion.

My suggestion is that you put a 15A fuse in spot #29 and check to see if the port iworks. It can't hurt anything, and may be a quick solution.

just went out and checked my fuse block. there is definitely a 15A fuse in mine in the #29 position. Try what john says and stick a fuse in there.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
just went out and checked my fuse block. there is definitely a 15A fuse in mine in the #29 position. Try what john says and stick a fuse in there.
Just to be sure, went back and checked the schematics again. That #29 fuse is described as a data link connector fuse and the diagnostic port under the dash at your left knee is described as the data link connector. That fuse may not solve all your problems but it should energize the diagnostic port.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The engine light came on first. The port worked for along time when light was on. Then all of the sudden it didn't work when I took it to Auto Zone and O'Riley's to see what the check engine code was and they told me it was not working. My blower motor also went out. But it scared me the other day and came on but when I shut car off it didn't come on again. HELP

·
Registered
11 Posts

Mine is a 2008 does it still go in the 29 slot its a roadster also

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
The engine light came on first. The port worked for along time when light was on. Then all of the sudden it didn't work when I took it to Auto Zone and O'Riley's to see what the check engine code was and they told me it was not working. My blower motor also went out. But it scared me the other day and came on but when I shut car off it didn't come on again. HELP
Not uncommon for some "non-critical" codes to go away after you cycle the car on and off. After you go through the fuse "fixes" the others have recommended let us know how that works.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts