Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regards to the solstice having no trunk space. I think the idea of a hidden hitch is the best one. GM has that great place called Saturn that makes dent resistant, lightweight body panels. I’m sure they can come up with some nice shapes for a low wind drag trailer. Even matching colors. So when you go on vacation to that sunny, warm spot you call heaven, you don’t have to take that other gas-eating monster without the convertible top.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Personally think a detachable luggage rack would be ideal. If it starts raining, the top goes up and the whole thing is set, matching luggage and all, into the clam. If the luggage is too big for the clam, it gets damp.

Problem with a hitch is that not that many Americans know how to back up with a trailer (and if the hitch to axle distance is shorter than the wheelbase of the car, things get interesting fast).

How about a receiver on each side and a removable basket ? More stable version of this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40662

Still, lots of touring bikes have trailers

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
It would be interesting to know if the Solstice will be factory rated for any kind of trailer. Several small cars, among them Honda Civics, have a statement in the owners manual that just the mounting of a trailer hitch voids the warranty.

Another option would be a hardsided suitcase custom made to be bolted directly to the rear deck, similar to the detachable saddlebags for touring bikes. It could be shaped to fit between the two headrest nacelles and extend only an inch or two higher, but the bottom would sit only a fraction of an inch above the deck. It could be the same depth and volume as a large suitcase, just not a rectangle, more of a flattened, egg shaped hatbox. If you wanted to go top drawer, it could be painted to match the car. When you arrive at your destination, you undo a couple of latches perminately mounted to the car and carry the case to your room with a handle mounted on one of the sides.

I'm still intrigued by the apparently unused space in front of the radiator. As well as custom luggage made to fit every inch of what little top down space the trunk provides.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
On one hand, a conceiled hitch mount is a great idea for a car that is luggage challanged. It provides options for trailers, bike racks, storage boxes, ect. On the other hand, a hitch is an invitation to all to see what they can get away with towing. People aren't always that bright, and when they see a way to tow their 6,000 lb camp trailer or their 3,500 ski boat trailer many will go for it even though the manual will say 1,500lb max, and the reciever will no doubt only be 1 1/4". You got to remember, there are some real dumb asses out there. If they are lucky enough not to end up a jack knifed mess at the bottom of a grade, they will no doubt end up back at the dealer with smoked brakes and burned out trannys, causing head aches for the dealer. So on small cars, where there is no real expectation to tow, it's easier for manufactures to just say "no towing", and not supply the reciever.

A solution for Pontiac might be to offer a custom receiver that is unique shaped, so conventional tow sliders wouldn't fit, and then design the reciever to break off if more than say 1000 lbs load were applied. Sort of like a fuse to protect the car from dumb asses. If this feature were well labled it might force people to use it only as intended, for bike racks, small cargo boxes, golf clubs, ect. Just an idea.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am sure the Solstice could tow the weight of the trailer. I think the main concern is the trailer getting so heavy that it takes over the car on the highway which gets dangerous.

The short wheelbase Wranglers is rated to tow just 2000 pounds for this reason. The structure and drive train could tow more, but a heavier trailer would be too detrimental on the vehicle which could cause a loss of control. The new Long wheelbase Wranglers, simply a stretched version of the SWB, can tow 3500 because the added wheelbase adds enough stability to control the trailer.

With the hydro formed frame rails, I imagine the Solstice could handle some towing duties. But its overall size and weight would severely limit it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aerodave : Problem with dumb asses is that sometimes you can't teach them anything. If I gave you the option to pull something that a motorcycle could pull then why can't the solstice ? If the dumb asses want to pull a 40 foot camper ,let them. If all the DA want to scream with 1000 hp and want 30 mpg, well so be it for the DA. For the rest of us that think logically , well you know what they say about stupid people.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
My wife tried to rent a trailer from Uhaul last week. Turned down because she is driving a 5L V8 AWD Ford Explorer.

They lost the $$$, she took our horse trailer instead. 14' ~1800LBS empty. Then she bought tarps at Wallys.

Steve

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2091351 said:
My wife tried to rent a trailer from Uhaul last week. Turned down because she is driving a 5L V8 AWD Ford Explorer.

They lost the $$$, she took our horse trailer instead. 14' ~1800LBS empty. Then she bought tarps at Wallys.

Steve
U-haul got nervous with the Explorer roll-over problems and the Firestone tires a few years back and decided not to rent trailers to Explorers anymore… even the newer redesigned Explorers. U-Haul doesn’t want to be dragged into any litigation and accused of being partially liable in any lawsuits filed in conjunction with Explorer roll-overs, so they decided simply not to do business with Explorer owners. In fact, I think they may have had a trailer involved in one of the Explorer/Firestone rollover cases that went to litigation, but I am not positive on that one. Its been a while since that stuff was in the news.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trunk Space

Number one -The car is beauitful- But who the hell wants to drag around a trailer.
This car is to be in the wind, low to the ground, and open to the wind, for people who do not want to pop for the 45 - 50 grand roadsters. This is for the working people to have fun with. But man, you have to have some space for things. You need two cars if you buy this car I think.
You have to go shopping for food and etc. etc. etc. When you do go on vacation, you really do not want to trail along dead weight with you like a trailer. That is why people with bucks but a vette, at least you can shop and bring a suitcase along with you. What do you guys think, the old lady is thinking about a 2005 Mustang GT convertible. We could shop, take suitcases with us and be in the wind and do not have to trail anything behind us. SHE SAYS. Man is she right--maybe, But I want the Sol.

Seapirate

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
tenspeed said:
Who needs a trunk? I have a credit card and there's malls everywhere. Buy new clothes and throw them away when dirty.
If you're willing to just throw money away like that I've got some great swamp land down here in FL you might be interested in :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SeaPirate said:
Number one -The car is beauitful- But who the hell wants to drag around a trailer.
This car is to be in the wind, low to the ground, and open to the wind, for people who do not want to pop for the 45 - 50 grand roadsters. This is for the working people to have fun with. But man, you have to have some space for things. You need two cars if you buy this car I think.
You have to go shopping for food and etc. etc. etc. When you do go on vacation, you really do not want to trail along dead weight with you like a trailer. That is why people with bucks but a vette, at least you can shop and bring a suitcase along with you. What do you guys think, the old lady is thinking about a 2005 Mustang GT convertible. We could shop, take suitcases with us and be in the wind and do not have to trail anything behind us. SHE SAYS. Man is she right--maybe, But I want the Sol.

Seapirate
Let me start by saying I basically agree with you. You do need some storage space in any car, and cars that have absolutely zero, or useless storage just don’t sell as well.

That said, I am going to defend the Solstice and the concept of an occasional use trailer. It is a nifty and easy way to add storage capacity to the car if it is needed in a pinch. It wouldn’t be for use all the time, and if anyone needed to use it all the time they would be better off with a different car… such as a Mustang ragtop.

However, look at it this way. If you only would need the added space a couple times a year, wouldn’t it be better to be able to leave the added dead weight of that space in the garage the rest of the year that you don’t need it instead of carrying around extra car you don’t need all the time in the form of a Mustang?

Finally, comparing a roadster such as the Solstice to a Mustang or even a Corvette is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Roadsters are meant to be small, light and athletic without compromise. Mustangs are pony cars that are meant to be powerful and fast in a straight line, yet remain a practicle car for many people to buy. It’s a completely different driving experience. A Corvette also will not be quite as light, but it might be just as athletic. However, that is why it costs more than twice as much as a Solstice, to offer the power of a pony car and the handling agility of a roadster with a bit of stretch out room in one single package.

If a buyer really need the storage space, be it for trips of because it will be a daily driver, its probably not the right car for that buyer. But, if the space is not a big deal it may be an ideal vehicle. Having an available trailer only encourages these people to buy one even if they don’t usually need the space, because in a pinch they can add the space for occasional use.

If a Mustang fits your needs, and you like the car, then go for it. Nothing wrong with owning one of those, especially the new 2005's! But if you really want a roadster and covet a roadsters driving experience, you will be disappointed by Ford's ponycar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good Answer

Thank you for taking time and answering our question about the Solstice VS the Mustang. I understand what you are saying, and that's about a $ 9,000 savings if we get the Solstice and thats what I, opps I mean WE want. Can or will the Solstice be able to hold our grocery shopping. That is my wife's number one question. What can the trunk actully hold.

Again, thanks for your reply,

Seapirate

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
SeaPirate said:

Seapirate
Can't blame your wife for wanting the Mustang, I think that car's pretty cool too, but it's no roadster, and can't give you the roadster driving experience no matter what you do to it. I guess it just dependes on what is ultimately important to you both, a car that is light and and easy to toss around, or more utility, room for friends and maybe better acceleration. Kind of a tough choice I guess, but I really like light cars so....

You're right about the trailer idea, I think it's a little over kill. I'm not against people making them or using them, I just think that all you would really need would be is a small compartment on the receiver instead of a whole trailer. Actually, a little storage box on the back with some weight in it might even help the handling, although it is behind the axle, so I don't know. Someone here with more experience in suspension and handling could probably tell us. Seems to me though that a trailer would with out a doubt, spoil the driving experience of the Solstice where as a cargo box may only slightly be adverse or even help?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Anybody care to guess on the capacity of a full shopping basket? My guess is not much more than 7 cu ft, if that.

All reports say there's 4 cu ft of trunk with the top up/ 2 with it down. You can pack a lot of groceries in 4 cu ft. Think roughly 3 of the storage boxes they sell at Office Max. Actually, if your talking plastic bags from the market, you might be able to pack the nooks that aren't counted (if any). If the market is just a couple of miles away, a lot can be carried in the passenger foot well without that much of an inconvience or discomfort to the passenger.

I find that for almost all my day in/day out driving, I could get by with no trunk at all. I expect, with very few exceptions, the trunk will only be used for those trips to the market and the (hopefully more frequent) road trips.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A trailer Ain't so bad

Call me crazy but a trailer isn't so bad. I have this little trailer that I tow behind "Pajarito" Par-ha-rito, translates as "little Bird".

Believe it or not me and the car go fishing and camping together often and man does the sight of the car and trailer draw a crowd. Lots of fun and it is easy to tow but impossible to backup.
During car show I do better with the trailer than without as far as ribbons go. People just love to think of the car as more than a roadster, and when they are told it is my "fishing car" they just love it. Keep it simple and have fun that is what the Solstice is all about.

·
4,592 Posts
Here's thought:

My wife and I take our bikes to the store on fairly daily basis (good for the ol' exercse, and we love to ride).

a year or so ago, I mounted a wooden crate on the back, and it can carry exactly 2 paper grocery bags. When filled to the top, we find we carry a lot.

so I got to thinking, that's gotta' be close to the trunk space of the solstice, so I calculated it. 2 paper grocery bags come to a volume of 1.5 sq. ft. (12"x14"x16"). So, next time you're at the store, fill 2 grocery bags to the brim, and figure this is easily what you can fit with the roof down, and more than double that with the roof up.

Be sure to have the bags filled to the brim, remember grocery clerks don't fill this way to avoind heavy bags, so we often have to condense bags for the crate.

With that said, I double DreamerDave's thoughts of carrying any excess in the passenger footwell, did that all the time with the wife in the MGB and Fiat, no big problem.

Once I thought of it that way, it's no problem for me!!!

Besides, it gives you an excuse to go to the store on more regular basis, MORE REASON TO DRIVE THE SOLSTICE, love that idea! :thumbs

If you're wife still has problem with that, you may have to duke it out

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Also keep in mind we don't know the official trunk volume yet. All the figures are best guesses but call me a dreamer but there still could be hope for an additional cubic foot or 2.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SeaPirate said:
Thank you for taking time and answering our question about the Solstice VS the Mustang. I understand what you are saying, and that's about a $ 9,000 savings if we get the Solstice and thats what I, opps I mean WE want. Can or will the Solstice be able to hold our grocery shopping. That is my wife's number one question. What can the trunk actully hold.

Again, thanks for your reply,

Seapirate
No problem! As for your groceries… depends on how much you buy and how often you buy. My guess is that you are not going to be able to stuff a full shopping cart into the back of the Solstice. If you go shopping solo, you could use the trunk and the passenger seat and foot well and probably would make it. Its hard to really say because we don’t know the shape of the trunk. We know it will be 2-4 cubic feet which isn’t much, but the shape of that space could make a difference on how many bags can fit. If its shallow, it might be hard to put any grocery bags in it without emptying them and spreading the contents. If its deep, a couple bags might drop right in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts