Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this issue:

When I am driving at any speed and I hold the accelerator at what I would call the "neutral" position - light enough as to maintain your speed, and not so light as to be slowed by the engine - there is a very distinct whine. It sounds to me to be unmistakably hydraulic in nature. It sounds very much like the sound made by a power steering pump on some cars when you turn the steering wheel to its limits. Does this make any sense?

To further compound the issue, it only happens after the car has been driven for ~15 minutes. Before that, the sound is absent.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from the transmission? Have you tried altering the cabin heating fan and verifying that's not the cause?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yeah I bet if you turn the fan off, the sound goes away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm certain because I've turned off the fan to discern where the noise is coming from. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by the cabin fan. I am assuming you mean the fan controlled on the dash for the heat and A/C.

Also, I should mention the sound goes away when I place the car in neutral while traveling.

I will see if I can pick up the sound on video and upload it to youtube.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yeah it sounds like a transmission issue. :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
My car also has a new 'whine'. I first heard it about 3 weeks ago after I got my waterpump fixed. It's possible it was making the noise prior to that but not sure. I was aware of the whine as a possible warning that the dealer didn't 'clamp' my timing chain when replaceing the waterpump, so I listened for it when I got the car back. Sure enough, everytime I hit the gas I can hear a whining (not the blow off valve whistle). The pitch changes with more acceleration and stops immediately when I let off the gas pedal.
The noise isn't super loud but it is noticeable. Normally I have the radio turned up so that is why I say it could have been making the noise earlier. I'll have to have someone else rev the engine while I stand outside to pinpoint the origin point.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sorry to hear about any unwanted noises coming from your cars. Please keep us posted on the status. If you decide to take it to the dealership, please let us know. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, dealership name, and contact information. I hope all is well despite any car concerns. Thank you and have a great New Year!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will be taking it to the Cadillac service center this weekend. Hopefully they will have some answers :)

here is the video I made. I apologize the road noise makes it difficult, but you should be able to hear the sound when the tach is around 1.5k. It's hard to notice in the first 10 seconds or so, but it becomes more noticeable near the middle of the video.

Solstice GXP auto transmission noise - YouTube

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking into possible differential issue. Seems to be predominantly in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Will hopefully have answers soon.

Why does it seem there are a lot of issues with the Solstice rear ends? Are there ways to avoid these issues in the future, if I do need mine replaced? It appears Caddy owners with this rear end have historically had some problems as well. Pretty interesting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sorry to hear about any unwanted noises coming from your cars. Please keep us posted on the status. If you decide to take it to the dealership, please let us know. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, dealership name, and contact information. I hope all is well despite any car concerns. Thank you and have a great New Year!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
Matt,

Thanks for the interest, but most of the 'unwanted noises' I hear in my car is when the wife is in the passenger seat. Is there anything you can do to help me with that??;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Matt,

Thanks for the interest, but most of the 'unwanted noises' I hear in my car is when the wife is in the passenger seat. Is there anything you can do to help me with that??;)
Haha! Sorry but can't do much about that. Keep us posted on your truck status if anything occurs. Hope all is well!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Looking forward to the diagnostic answer on this ,#0991 is a light whiner as well. With a twist, vibration , but I assumed it was tire imbalance .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts