Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more and more I drive my car I'm noticing different things. Sometimes when I push in the clutch and shift.. I here a noise kinda like a clunking (it's not grinding)... is that the gear box engaging? It doesn't happen all the time but, mainly in 1st gear... it's hard to explain.... I have noticed the car is a bit noisy. I just want to make sure this is something normal so I'm not freaking out. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I get what sounds like the same thing in mine. It's been doing it since i got the car a year ago and hasn't changed any so I've convinced myself that it's normal..:willy:..hopefully ;)

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Yeah that's what passes for 'normal'. Many have it, some do not.

The general consensus seems to be the limited slip differential - though mine sounds like drivetrain lash to me.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
The 1-2 shift is notoriously "clunky". The transmission was actually designed for the Hummer 3 if I'm not mistaken. The Buick dealer that replace my cat converter told me that I had a transmission mount that needed to be replaced. I laughed and told him no - that's just the way this thing is. He seemed pretty incredulous when I explained where the tranny came from.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
The 1-2 shift is notoriously "clunky". The transmission was actually designed for the Hummer 3 if I'm not mistaken.
You are mistaken :)... the Hummer came AFTER the Solstice!

The Aisin AR5 transmission was based on the older R154 transmission used in a number of Japanese cars. The AR5 was first used in the Isuzu Trooper, and then the Chevy Colorado in GM form.

Having said all that, the clunk isn't in the tranny anyway. Definitely after that.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
The Colorado was what I was thinking. D'oh. And I agree with your assessment TS - it feels/sounds like back lash to me also.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The more and more I drive my car I'm noticing different things. Sometimes when I push in the clutch and shift.. I here a noise kinda like a clunking (it's not grinding)... is that the gear box engaging? It doesn't happen all the time but, mainly in 1st gear... it's hard to explain.... I have noticed the car is a bit noisy. I just want to make sure this is something normal so I'm not freaking out. Thanks :)
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your Solstice. Please private message if I can be of any assistance.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Woo hoo! Jennifer is going to redesign the drive train!

(Just kidding Jennifer - you know we do truly appreciate you checking in on us!)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Woo hoo! Jennifer is going to redesign the drive train!

(Just kidding Jennifer - you know we do truly appreciate you checking in on us!)
Hey there chickenwire,

Thank you for the compliment.

How do you know that I am not in the middle of redesigning the drive train? Okay, I am not. I will let the experts deal with that area of expertise. ;)

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Actually I was going to mention this to Jackie in another thread - try to get her to step up to your level of involvement!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts