Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my valve train is slightly noisy these days, not like its gonna explode or something but just i can hear it all working and ticking. I pulled my valve cover off and inspected everything. timing chain is tight, guides are fine, lifters are in teact, same with rockers and valve springs. Im probaly paranoid now because i just blew up my fiero... agian and ive not drove my solstice in 2 years. Anyone else have a noisy 2.4?

·
Registered
453 Posts
My 2.4 was making a large about of noise that sounded like the chain rattling to me. I had it check out and it ended up having a cracked exhaust manifold. This has been over a year ago and there were only 2 GM exhaust manifolds then... And I bought one. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I don't think the 2.4L has a HPFP, but here's a video of my HPFP when cold:

HPFP tick - YouTube

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Thus my confusion

This engine come with larger engine capacities, this Ecotec LE5 come with 2.4 L—2,384 cc (145.5 cu in) of engine capacities or also called with piston displacement, this displacement value is produce by 4 pieces of cylinders were installed with straight 4 cylinders configuration. Each of cylinders are completed with 4 pieces of valves were controlled with Double Over Head Camshaft valves gears. To increase the engine capacities, this Ecotec LE5 Engine is use 3.5 inches of bore and 3.9 inches of strokes specifications. There are special thing that you can found on this engine series, you’ll find variable valve timing feature, Variable valve timing (VVT), also known as Variable valve actuation (VVA), is any mechanism or method that can alter the shape or timing of a valve lift event within an internal combustion engine. VVT allows the lift, duration, or timing (in various combinations) of the intake and/or exhaust valves to be changed while the engine is in operation. This Ecotec LE5 Engine is using normal engine aspiration with direct injection fuel system. Detailed specifications of this engine can be seen on following table.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Thus my confusion

This engine come with larger engine capacities, this Ecotec LE5 come with 2.4 L—2,384 cc (145.5 cu in) of engine capacities or also called with piston displacement, this displacement value is produce by 4 pieces of cylinders were installed with straight 4 cylinders configuration. Each of cylinders are completed with 4 pieces of valves were controlled with Double Over Head Camshaft valves gears. To increase the engine capacities, this Ecotec LE5 Engine is use 3.5 inches of bore and 3.9 inches of strokes specifications. There are special thing that you can found on this engine series, you’ll find variable valve timing feature, Variable valve timing (VVT), also known as Variable valve actuation (VVA), is any mechanism or method that can alter the shape or timing of a valve lift event within an internal combustion engine. VVT allows the lift, duration, or timing (in various combinations) of the intake and/or exhaust valves to be changed while the engine is in operation. This Ecotec LE5 Engine is using normal engine aspiration with direct injection fuel system. Detailed specifications of this engine can be seen on following table.
Where did you find that quoted material? It is incorrect as the LE5 engine is not direct injected.

The quoted material also appears to have been written by a normally non-English speaking person.

Just asking.

Never mind, I found a site with the exact quote above, http://allenginelist.com/cars/ecotec-le5-engine-specs/.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Where did you find that quoted material? It is incorrect as the LE5 engine is not direct injected.

The quoted material also appears to have been written by a normally non-English speaking person.

Just asking.

Never mind, I found a site with the exact quote above, Ecotec LE5 Engine Specs | Engine Specifications.
The Ecotec in my 2010 Equinox was direct injected. Maybe it's from a later version of the engine in another vehicle?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
The Ecotec in my 2010 Equinox was direct injected. Maybe it's from a later version of the engine in another vehicle?
The Ecotec LE5 in our Solstices/Skys is NOT direct injected. The LE5 version of the Ecotec is NOT direct injected.

The Ecotec LNF (turbo) in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline IS direct injected.

There are other versions of the Ecotec also, some are direct injected, some are not.

:willy:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I noticed my valve train is slightly noisy these days, not like its gonna explode or something but just i can hear it all working and ticking. I pulled my valve cover off and inspected everything. timing chain is tight, guides are fine, lifters are in teact, same with rockers and valve springs. Im probaly paranoid now because i just blew up my fiero... agian and ive not drove my solstice in 2 years. Anyone else have a noisy 2.4?
Getting back on track.

As the OP has not driven his 2.4 Solstice in two years, I can imagine that the the cams/lifters/springs/valves et al are a bit dry and oil free. I can imagine it being a bit noisy until the oil pressure builds a bit and oil finally makes it to the top of the engine. This would normally be a very brief bit of time however.

:dunno:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It gets less noticable when it heats up. im just VERY paranoid of any engine noise on any car at the moment. After blowing two motors on my fiero all i see is dollar signs when i rev any car lol. Also the e-85 version of the 2.4 is the direct injected version. Our 2.4 is not direct injected. The 2.4 to my knowledge has always been a noise valvetrain motor. Ever since i can remember when i bought it and then tossed that ugly sound deadener that was on top of the motor. Everything is good on it its just noisey! Im not 100% worried about it anyways because im rebuilding the motor in it this winter. I have done nothing but run the hell out of my car since it was new. 50k racing miles and counting. Burns no oil, doesnt overheat etc! The only damage i can find is that clyinder 3 has lower compression. This is why im rebuilding. Gonna go slightly nuts on the 2.4 but i also have an ls1 sitting around collecting dust that would be nice nestled into my solstice or my fiero...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts