Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OMG.....I have not had a good week. And now I got a CEL on the way to work....code p2188 engine too rich at idle. What is/are the fix(es) for this? From the posts I've read nobody has really "fixed" their car when this comes up. So here's a list of stuff done in the last 2k miles:

- Replaced the smaller rubber hoses from IC piping to IC
- re-tuned*
- cleaned the MAF on the intake
- cleaned the air filter but did not oil it

*let me add that I have about 2k on it since the tune, so I would have thought it if was related to that, I would have had this issue much sooner.

I might add that I was decelerating from 55mph and the CEL came on while I was sitting idle at the light. I cleared the code when I got here to work so we will see what happens on the way home tonight. Still getting 23psi of boost.

Will I be chasing a "ghost" (no pun intended...LMAO) for eternity now???? Everything I've read this never really goes away or gets fixed.... Of course I don't have a lot of time to read past posts this morning.... As always, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Do you have a scanner. What do your LTFTs look like. I bet they are sitting around -20.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Limp Mode Lite, Half Boost, and P2188. - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

See post #14, if lucky we can nip this is the bud ASAP!!
Your lucky I remembered the code number so I can refer you to this. Apparently it has something to do with carbon buildup..

P2188 Pontiac Fuel Trim System Rich at Idle OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

good luck buddy..:thumbs:

Click on the amazon link on post #14
Lucas fuel injector cleaner
It doesn't say Lucas -

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Man Ghost you do have the problems. Good luck sorting it out.

·
Registered
728 Posts
OK, your right right, here is the Lucas website..
Fuel Treatment
I'm more in tune of reading his comments, rather than chasing down that link, something doesn't jive with both.. I noticed that this morn after I posted..
I would still toss a couple of bottles for the next 2 fill ups, clear the codes and see if it perhaps it helped and see what happens..
Looks like those links disappeared or were faulty..

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man Ghost you do have the problems. Good luck sorting it out.
I know....it's getting ridiculous. I'm beginning to think I screwed up by not buying that ATS....

I did drive it to work again today....put almost 50 miles on it since I cleared the code....no CEL so far. I did put some Techron fuel additive in it last night.... Will look for the Lucas stuff this weekend. Also put 7 gallons of Shell gas (the + Nitro stuff they're advertising...still only 93 octane) in it last night....something I don't normally do. I'm always afraid to use a station I'm not familiar with...I got bad gas from a MOBIL station last summer and my car burbled and growled for days. But I figured I would splurge and spend $0.20 more per gallon for name brand gas instead of my usual Speedway or Kroger.....:cool:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I only use top tier fuels on my NA, mostly Shell and Chevron, on occasions, depending on price BP>.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I think I found my issue. I seem to get the CEL if I have the A/C on and idling down from about 50mph. I also watched my Torque app and found the motor at this point is calling for an afr of 12.8....the same that it calls for without the A/C on. So, I'm going to contact ZZP tomorrow and talk to them about this and see if they can shed any light on this issue. On a side note, had my boost issue again where I can't get full boost. Pulled over to a parking lot, revved it to 5k a few times, pulled back out and voila, 23lbs of boost.... I'm thinking my bearings are starting to cake....

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a scanner. What do your LTFTs look like. I bet they are sitting around -20.
LTFTs always seemed to be at -1. Don't know if I got the right PID....will play a little more tomorrow with it GXP-Coupe1....

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The code has come back at least 4 times. All seem to be at the same time and place in my commute. It's always after a 45mph drive and comes on while I'm sitting at the same stop light. It's really odd. The other odd occurance is that the motor runs fine...no miss and I still get my 23psi of boost. Even with the light on. So, I didn't realize that our ECM actually "freeze frames" important parameters when the code is set. Here is the Freeze Info if anyone can help:

Vehicle Manufacturer: Pontiac
Vehicle Calibration ID: 12619549

Freeze frame information:
------------------
Fuel Status = 0 byte
Engine Load = 13.333 %
Engine Coolant Temperature = 197.6 °F
Fuel Trim Bank 1 Short Term = -10.938 %
Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term = -3.125 %
Intake Manifold Pressure = 4.351 psi
Engine RPM = 808 rpm
Speed (OBD) = 0 mph
Timing Advance = 11 °
Intake Air Temperature = 95 °F
Mass Air Flow Rate = 24.064 cfm
Throttle Position(Manifold) = 16.078 %
Run time since engine start = 2,054 s
Fuel Rail Pressure = 533.739 psi
Fuel Level (From Engine ECU) = 72.941 %
Barometric pressure (from vehicle) = 14.214 psi
Voltage (Control Module) = 14.088 V
Engine Load(Absolute) = 19.216 %
Commanded Equivalence Ratio(lambda) = 1
Relative Throttle Position = 2.353 %
Ambient air temp = 62.6 °F
Absolute Throttle Position B = 16.078 %
Accelerator PedalPosition D = 19.608 %
Accelerator PedalPosition E = 18.824 %

End of report.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the official word from the tuner at ZZP is that my MAF reading is VERY high for idle. He said it could be a leak or a bad MAF. So, I guess I have my long weekend cut out of me!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It happened again and I did the freeze frame reading again....3.62 gallons/sec for the MAF, so that equates to right around the 24.07cfm at idle. But if I do an actual read at idle, it's nowhwere near that.....So I am ordering a MAF and will report back....

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cleaned my MAF sensor about 3 weeks ago and so far it hasn't come back on....<knock on wood>. It would be the MAF that is bad because it is measuring incorrectly at the point it sets the CEL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same code on my 2007, but I'm experiencing different issues. First off, this is the first month my check engine light has come on, and all of the codes are p2188. This is the issue I'm experiencing, when it's hot out, after I drive it to temp, I let it sit for about an hour or two and try starting it... won't start. Acts like it's either vapor locked or flooded. Only thing I can do to start it is have the gas pedal half way down while starting it. So I take it to the dealership to get the fuel system cleaned and run a diagnostic on the code. They came back with replacing the air filter and MAF, so I let them replace the air filter. Afterwards, I replaced the MAF (boy was it dirty) and the light went off. Thought my issue was fixed but as soon as the starting issue came back (about a week after replacing MAF), the light came back on with the same code. This time I could smell fumes inside my car after the starting issue happens. I'm at a loss, not sure what to try next... any suggestions?

I also replaced the purge valve, which I believe lets fumes into the engine while running.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm having the same code on my 2007, but I'm experiencing different issues. First off, this is the first month my check engine light has come on, and all of the codes are p2188. This is the issue I'm experiencing, when it's hot out, after I drive it to temp, I let it sit for about an hour or two and try starting it... won't start. Acts like it's either vapor locked or flooded. Only thing I can do to start it is have the gas pedal half way down while starting it. So I take it to the dealership to get the fuel system cleaned and run a diagnostic on the code. They came back with replacing the air filter and MAF, so I let them replace the air filter. Afterwards, I replaced the MAF (boy was it dirty) and the light went off. Thought my issue was fixed but as soon as the starting issue came back (about a week after replacing MAF), the light came back on with the same code. This time I could smell fumes inside my car after the starting issue happens. I'm at a loss, not sure what to try next... any suggestions?

I also replaced the purge valve, which I believe lets fumes into the engine while running.
How longs it been since you put the new MAF in? I'm guessing you still have "dirt" that is getting on it. If the original was that dirty, I would recommend cleaning all of the intake, then clean the MAF again and install it. Now are you using the OE intake or CAI? If you're using a CAI and an aftermarket filter, most have oil on them....and that is what's fowling your MAF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had the new MAF in for a few weeks now and I'm pretty sure it's the OE intake but I bought the car used in 2013 so I guess it could be different. I'm not really sure how to tell. I did check the new MAF though and it isn't dirty at all, unless dirt got into it and I just didn't see it. I did pull out the air filter and it doesn't look oiled, but that doesn't mean the previous one wasn't. I plan to pull out the whole intake and clean it I just haven't had time to do it yet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts