Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well The Axe has fallen.

I have been lurking here for a few months and was hoping to make my first post when I got my order confirmed through “Overseas New Car Sales” a military program. The problem was the first allotment sold out and I had to wait on a second. Then we had way too many people sign up for the second. So they decided to draw names to see who got the next slots. My name was not one of the lucky ones pulled so I am out of luck.

But worse now it appears GM is withdrawing from the program so there is no hope for another chance further down the line.

I have obsessed about this car for months, ever since I first put my order in. I had to vent somewhere so I figured I would do it to people who would understand my pain.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sorry to hear Mike, welcome. Give a dealer a call over in the states and get on a list for when you get home :thumbs:

Hey GM, don't withdraw from the program, give these guys the cars they want :yesnod:

·
Registered
142 Posts
mceb said:
Sorry to hear Mike, welcome. Give a dealer a call over in the states and get on a list for when you get home :thumbs:

Hey GM, don't withdraw from the program, give these guys the cars they want :yesnod:
:agree:
Hang in there Mike! We all appreciate your hard work over there.

G

·
Viper_595 said:
But worse now it appears GM is withdrawing from the program so there is no hope for another chance further down the line.
Come on GM, step up to the plate and do the right thing for our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines who are putting their lives on the line on a daily basis for our freedom. It is the LEAST you could do GM!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad news.

Viper_595 said:
This is really not cool :nono: - is there anyone on the forum with contacts at GM that might be able to check into this? Maybe give us a name we could write to. I thought it was a nice way for GM to show its support for the troops and would hate to see it end.

·
Registered
182 Posts
MAKsys said:
Sorry to hear about the bad news.

This is really not cool :nono: - is there anyone on the forum with contacts at GM that might be able to check into this? Maybe give us a name we could write to. I thought it was a nice way for GM to show its support for the troops and would hate to see it end.
:agree:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I wonder if two allotments was just for the '06 model year? Seems odd to end a program like that in the middle of a war. Talk about bad PR. Maybe in the Spring they will allow for '07 orders?

Viper_595 what branch are you in? It's cool to hear from you guys!

:patriot:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Add my vote to this thread, GM needs to do the right thing here for our the men and women of our arm forces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mceb thanks for the advice but I doubt I could get the car with the options I wanted from a dealer for the price I was quoted from ENCS (looking it up on KBB my deal actually came in under invoice)

Which may explain why GM is forced to pull out. You can't make money if you are giving them away.

I emailed them to find out if it was true that they were leaving the program last week but I have not heard back yet.

Please don't turn this into an Anti-GM thread.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Viper_595 said:
mceb thanks for the advice but I doubt I could get the car with the options I wanted from a dealer for the price I was quoted from ENCS (looking it up on KBB my deal actually came in under invoice)

Which may explain why GM is forced to pull out. You can't make money if you are giving them away.

I emailed them to find out if it was true that they were leaving the program last week but I have not heard back yet.

Please don't turn this into an Anti-GM thread.
I would think that a dealer in your home town would be in favor of giving you a price close to what you negotiated.
We are also not trying to be Anti GM in the contrary, we are just ecouraging the General to step up in your case and make it happen.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm unclear on whether GM is pulling out of offering Solstices to overseas military car sales or pulling GM out alltogether.

I almost understand the first, but really believe that they will keep offering a limited number to military car sales (similar to Corvettes).

I totally would not understand the second, as Exchange New Car Sales has been in operation for over 50 years.

Perhaps if you could relate where and from whom you got this information, it would be clearer.

P.S. I'm one of the 40 first allocation 2006 models sold through ENCS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am Jealous Frosty. I am not due back until January so I was in no hurry to get my order in thinking I had time but I underestimated the popularity and the limited availability.

According to the ENCS office starting in September they can no longer take any GM orders. Like I said I emailed GM last week but have not gotten a response. I’ll give it a few more days then try again.

Mike

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Viper,
Sorry to hear about you and Slim (his was cancelled too). I was one of the "lucky" ones ... my check took 3 weeks to travel 45 miles! (to Baghdad) :( I was sweating bullets ... :lol: ... the whole time. However, my paperwork is in Dubai and all I need to do now is go home. ;) Maybe I will be back around Feb 06 and pick up my Sol in April. I was told that they only were offering 40 06's, due to the limited production and low price. ($22,253.50 fo mine)

Take Care and maybe GM will offer the 07's. :grouphug:
MSG McKee

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
I was one of the "lucky" ones ... my check took 3 weeks to travel 45 miles! (to Baghdad) :( I was sweating bullets ... :lol: ... the whole time.
Yet another example of the amazing grip this car can have on people. This guy's in the middle of a war zone and he's "sweating bullets" about getting his Solstice ordered. :)

Why don't you guys post your hometown in this thread and maybe there are some local dealers out there (or people who know them) that would be willing to step up and offer you a special deal on the car? I doubt it would be quite as good as the program GM had, but maybe they will offer the car at invoice or something.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I just got initial word from my agent and yes GM is either being dropped , or leaving the ENCS Program. Here is my agents reply (I did not correct spelling/grammar and he is from Ireland)

Hi Steven,
I think your order was put to
a drawing selection has Sabrina been
on regarding the selection?We are now finished with
GM with the programme so we cannot take anymore orders unfortunately,
Cheers and keep well
Eoin

The reply shows that there was a "drawing" and that GM will no longer sell cars through the overseas program. I do not know how they did the drawing, but I am hoping that no email from "Sabrina" is good news. I believe that Eoin would have said that I was dropped, if in fact I was. He has done an awesome job, so far, for what little information he has on the Sol. I think all parties involved meant well, but were "caught off guard," by the Sol. :grouphug:

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Another one bites the Iraqi dust!

Well I guess that I am out of here. Just received this email.

Hi Steven,
I have been onto my administrator Sabrina,
and unfortunately your name was put in for the allocation but not drawn.
Really sorry about that Steve but GM recently pulled out of the programme
unexpectedly and we will not be going for a second allocation which I previously thought,
Let me know if you need anything else
Eoin

It looks as if ENCS dropped the ball by "selling" too many Sols; however, I do not know why GM has quit the program ... which cancels my chance to reserve a 07. The good news is that I do have $22K saved up and just need to find the right car. I might just go with my initial desire, which was the Z4.

I have lots of time, so I am not going to stress out over it and it was fun to meet fellow Sol nuts.

Thanks to cdb and his wife for going out of their way to get the Sol information and car to me! :grouphug: It was good to here from all of the oveseas guys and I wish things could have worked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SOCAISLANDER, I placed my order in June. So hopefully your April order is just fine.

MSG_McKee, sorry you had to hear the bad news here first. Perhaps GM will get back into the program at a later date hopefully before the middle of Jan but even then I don't think the season opens on 07 orders until spring and I hope I am not here that long.

As for finding something else I may have to think about it. I had a nicely equipped Sol for $20,000 and I don't think I could find anything nearly as fun in my budget.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
You two have my permission to go blow something up! That really really sucks. But hang in there, as we know GM watches this forum like a hawk (sometimes chicken-hawk) and a grassroots pleas to GM won't cost us the skin off our noses. For this car you must always keep in thought the words of your c.i.c. "Stay the course."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.