Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had issues with Norms Fiberglass delivering on parts purchased? I ordered and paid for a rear bumper valence back in October 10th of 2014 and have yet to receive it. I called more times than I care to comment on and have spoken with Norm several times. I keep hearing the same old thing "yeah it's here and I need to send it out". I still have no valence and not sure on the next course of action.

Am I crazy to think that after 6 plus months that this is normal?:banghead:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello, sorry for my confusion. Seems while building parts for various Race teams, show and SEMA cars I get sidetracked too often. I apolize for that, but you should have your part by tomorrow thurs at the latest, as it was sent out. Thanks again for your patience, Norm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you send a PM with tracking number?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
The good thing is that once you get the valance installed on the car and see the amazing work that Norm does, you'll forget about the delay.

Norm does great work and his stuff is custom made to order. Six months is a little long to wait, but it'll be worth it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard he does great work, that's why I was very patient and professional dealing with him. I'm just a little frustrated on the wait.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello, thankyou. You were always nice to me on the phone and professional too. I mailed out a couple more orders also to some that have been too . Thanks again Norm

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I have been buying Norms products for years. He allways delivers and the quality is great. He is a one man ( and one daughter) shop and since he can no longer afford to build inventory, he basically builds to order. And being a great guy, he wants to deliver early and often. But is not allways able to do so.

What works for me is to order with no anticipation of delivery date. Then when it shows up I'm happily surprised! Like a present!

I do contact him at least once a month along the way.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
He always delivers and the quality is great. He is a one man ( and one daughter) shop and since he can no longer afford to build inventory, he basically builds to order.
The good thing is that once you get the valance installed on the car and see the amazing work that Norm does, you'll forget about the delay.
The above comments sum it up nicely.

I ordered a full body kit fully painted about 9 months ago. Individual parts started arriving over the past 6 months. I expect the last part, the hood, to arrive any day now. Yup, you'll be amazed at how thin, yet about as strong as the oem panels, Norm makes his stuff. I would love to see how he makes an entire hood. And the look, once they're on your car, is seriously cool. Also, where ya gonna go to get a custom kit for your Solstice? The urethane stuff on ebay? I hear there are fitment issues with that stuff.

One cool aspect that might make the bitter pill of the long wait easier to swallow: Norm doesn't make much of this stuff, due to various issues, therefore when you finally get your new toy it's RARE. Not too many people have his stuff. You can drive around smugly self-assured that not only is your car a rare Solstice/Sky, but it's got even RARER kit parts on it. I've put my kit on a Coupe, you should see how smugly I drive around! I almost can't see where I'm driving 'cuz my nose is so high in the air!

:lol:

I've been contacted by at least 5 people, privately, about the delivery time issue, though. What can I tell them other than what I've quoted and said? Norm, I suggest telling folks right off the bat "Estimated delivery in six months to a year(for a full kit, the smaller number for individual pieces)". Your stuff is worth the wait and the honesty would sooth our thoughts. If you get the parts to us sooner, which is likely, then we'll be pleasantly surprised!

Here's a thought: Norm, how many items would you figure you make for non-race team regular folks in a year? I figure that you can only manage to bang out about 10-12 full kits and maybe 50-100 individual pieces. How many hoods do you make in a year? I figure that the number is pretty small. My point being, if we better understood how few of these things you make, we would better appreciate the time it takes for them to get to us.

I shall now go out and smugly drive around in my Coupe with it's cool-ass Norm stuff on it.......

:)

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
The above comments sum it up nicely.

I ordered a full body kit fully painted about 9 months ago. Individual parts started arriving over the past 6 months. I expect the last part, the hood, to arrive any day now. Yup, you'll be amazed at how thin, yet about as strong as the oem panels, Norm makes his stuff. I would love to see how he makes an entire hood. And the look, once they're on your car, is seriously cool. Also, where ya gonna go to get a custom kit for your Solstice? The urethane stuff on ebay? I hear there are fitment issues with that stuff.

One cool aspect that might make the bitter pill of the long wait easier to swallow: Norm doesn't make much of this stuff, due to various issues, therefore when you finally get your new toy it's RARE. Not too many people have his stuff. You can drive around smugly self-assured that not only is your car a rare Solstice/Sky, but it's got even RARER kit parts on it. I've put my kit on a Coupe, you should see how smugly I drive around! I almost can't see where I'm driving 'cuz my nose is so high in the air!

:lol:

I've been contacted by at least 5 people, privately, about the delivery time issue, though. What can I tell them other than what I've quoted and said? Norm, I suggest telling folks right off the bat "Estimated delivery in six months to a year(for a full kit, the smaller number for individual pieces)". Your stuff is worth the wait and the honesty would sooth our thoughts. If you get the parts to us sooner, which is likely, then we'll be pleasantly surprised!

Here's a thought: Norm, how many items would you figure you make for non-race team regular folks in a year? I figure that you can only manage to bang out about 10-12 full kits and maybe 50-100 individual pieces. How many hoods do you make in a year? I figure that the number is pretty small. My point being, if we better understood how few of these things you make, we would better appreciate the time it takes for them to get to us.

I shall now go out and smugly drive around in my Coupe with it's cool-ass Norm stuff on it.......

Great write up. :agree: I order stuff from Norm in November when I park my Sol for the winter and ask for delievery or I go to him and he installs in mid April (Spring). Have done this a few times and has worked out.:thumbs: Was at my Dealership today to get a new battery put in. Between the employees and customers there was a total drool fest over my car. Had my Smoothline Hard Top on. Tons of compliments on the "completed look" of my Sol. My Norm's Mods are a big part of this.:thumbs:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have known norm for a number of years and we have become very good friends. Norm built my Mallet solstice, which was at SEMA last year. Here are just a few awards as a result!

2015 Valvoline Display Booth Car, Hot Important Nights
2015 Hot Important Nights, 2nd Place Best Domestic
2015 Hot Important Night 3rd Place, Best of Show
2015 Tuner Galleria, Best GM
2014 SEMA Show Car, Sponsored by House of Kolors
2014 NHRA Nationals Chicago, Maguire’s Display Car
2014 Tuner Galleria, Best GM
2014 Detroit Autorama, Conservative Sports 97-2010, 2nd Place
2013 DUB Tour Chicago, Best Overall Car and Display
2013 World of Wheel, Chicago, Best in Class, Conservative Sport 97-2010
2013 World of Wheels, Street Achievement Custom Sports

I have been to Norm’s shop a lot, since he is only about 2 hours from my house. I have worked side by side on a couple of projects with him on my car. Even Rob the Elder was impressed with the car at SEMA!

Norm is one of the finest people I have known. He is old school and everything he does is by hand and he works on each and every piece He has two people that work for him, the do some general stuff. Norm does 95% of the work and every part is hand laid, formed, finished, and painted. He almost works day and night. Often times he sleeps on the couch at his shop. He has not taken a vacation for 5 years! I can tell you that shop is a shop and nothing fancy. For those who have been to his shop, you know what I mean.
Norm is very aware that people get upset when they finally make a decision and then want the part quickly and have to wait. This is very understandable as we all excited about enhancing their car. When the car comes out for the summer, you always want new parts, as does everyone else. He does not want people getting upset with him, because if takes time. I have seen him buffing hoods at 2am. Building crates by hand to ship bigger parts at midnight. I have a hood, took a year. I have seen the process and I know that he loses money on every hood and hardtop he sells. Nevertheless, he will not raise the price even though his material keeps going up as do all his expenses.
During one very snowy day in Chicago, Norm delivered my car after a year and a half in his shop, at 1 am in morning, I ask him to stay, as I know that he is tired, you could tell he had not slept in a while, trying to finish my car, while getting other customer parts out the door. So he left and drove back to his place, about two hours away, the next day I call him, he says that he made it back, but he had to stop on the side of the road and get a couple of hours of sleep. He did this because; he wanted to get back to the shop to ship out some orders the next day. He works, every day, Christmas, New Year’s, Thanksgiving. So please, don’t think, he is out there sitting by the pool, and drinking a fruity drink. His only break is to get hot tea, oatmeal and bacon, for lunch and dinner at his local diner! He has been taking a few minutes each day, nursing the duckling back to health, that he found in his parking lot :)
Norms work is like fine pottery, if the fiberglass does not cure right. Instead of trying to make repairs, he starts over. Norm takes a lot of pride in what he does. He could just make some repairs that you would never know. Nevertheless, not norm, he will do it again, even though it is a waste of money, and material. He will repaint and refinish a part several times, until it is as perfect as it can be. If you order a factory five car, you would spend thousands of dollars, preparing that fiberglass part for paint. When you get the part and he paints, it is ready to go. All this takes time and frankly, he does not charge enough. Each part is made to order. I think he should charge more. Over the past two years, Norm has made parts for me, in fact, with the exception of the trunk lid; every part on the Mallett has been modified by Norm or Dave at Werks. I have the only motorized wing that we know of. It was an engineering marvel, and it took a year and we worked on this together.
As Rob had stated, he has his own personal stories. His mom recently passed away and his dad is very ill. Norm try to find time to go to visit him every day.
Why am I sharing this, because? Norm is one of the finest people, I know. He is Very talent, very kind, and caring and wants everyone to be pleased with his work. His is an old school artist that takes pride in what he does. Any bespoke product, would take time. It does not matter it is a custom order exotic car, Seville Row Suit, a Bob Krammer Knife. I am thankful, that someone is still making parts for this dead brand. Frankly, Norm would be better off financially, if he focused on new cars, like Porsche parts, or the Camaro parts that people ask him to build or developing new product for more relevant brands. I would encourage you to give him a call, if he does not answer right away, it is because the grinder is running and he is sanding or his painting your part. By the way, Norm is not all that tech savvy, he can barely navigate a computer, he just learned about Facebook and still has that old Motorola flip phone. Call him, get to know him before you judge. He is a good, hardworking, honest person and very smart. Best of all he can build some very cool stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I have known norm for a number of years and we have become very good friends. Norm built my Mallet solstice, which was at SEMA last year. Here are just a few awards as a result!

2015 Valvoline Display Booth Car, Hot Important Nights
2015 Hot Important Nights, 2nd Place Best Domestic
2015 Hot Important Night 3rd Place, Best of Show
2015 Tuner Galleria, Best GM
2014 SEMA Show Car, Sponsored by House of Kolors
2014 NHRA Nationals Chicago, Maguire’s Display Car
2014 Tuner Galleria, Best GM
2014 Detroit Autorama, Conservative Sports 97-2010, 2nd Place
2013 DUB Tour Chicago, Best Overall Car and Display
2013 World of Wheel, Chicago, Best in Class, Conservative Sport 97-2010
2013 World of Wheels, Street Achievement Custom Sports

I have been to Norm’s shop a lot, since he is only about 2 hours from my house. I have worked side by side on a couple of projects with him on my car. Even Rob the Elder was impressed with the car at SEMA!

Norm is one of the finest people I have known. He is old school and everything he does is by hand and he works on each and every piece He has two people that work for him, the do some general stuff. Norm does 95% of the work and every part is hand laid, formed, finished, and painted. He almost works day and night. Often times he sleeps on the couch at his shop. He has not taken a vacation for 5 years! I can tell you that shop is a shop and nothing fancy. For those who have been to his shop, you know what I mean.
Norm is very aware that people get upset when they finally make a decision and then want the part quickly and have to wait. This is very understandable as we all excited about enhancing their car. When the car comes out for the summer, you always want new parts, as does everyone else. He does not want people getting upset with him, because if takes time. I have seen him buffing hoods at 2am. Building crates by hand to ship bigger parts at midnight. I have a hood, took a year. I have seen the process and I know that he loses money on every hood and hardtop he sells. Nevertheless, he will not raise the price even though his material keeps going up as do all his expenses.
During one very snowy day in Chicago, Norm delivered my car after a year and a half in his shop, at 1 am in morning, I ask him to stay, as I know that he is tired, you could tell he had not slept in a while, trying to finish my car, while getting other customer parts out the door. So he left and drove back to his place, about two hours away, the next day I call him, he says that he made it back, but he had to stop on the side of the road and get a couple of hours of sleep. He did this because; he wanted to get back to the shop to ship out some orders the next day. He works, every day, Christmas, New Year’s, Thanksgiving. So please, don’t think, he is out there sitting by the pool, and drinking a fruity drink. His only break is to get hot tea, oatmeal and bacon, for lunch and dinner at his local diner! He has been taking a few minutes each day, nursing the duckling back to health, that he found in his parking lot :)
Norms work is like fine pottery, if the fiberglass does not cure right. Instead of trying to make repairs, he starts over. Norm takes a lot of pride in what he does. He could just make some repairs that you would never know. Nevertheless, not norm, he will do it again, even though it is a waste of money, and material. He will repaint and refinish a part several times, until it is as perfect as it can be. If you order a factory five car, you would spend thousands of dollars, preparing that fiberglass part for paint. When you get the part and he paints, it is ready to go. All this takes time and frankly, he does not charge enough. Each part is made to order. I think he should charge more. Over the past two years, Norm has made parts for me, in fact, with the exception of the trunk lid; every part on the Mallett has been modified by Norm or Dave at Werks. I have the only motorized wing that we know of. It was an engineering marvel, and it took a year and we worked on this together.
As Rob had stated, he has his own personal stories. His mom recently passed away and his dad is very ill. Norm try to find time to go to visit him every day.
Why am I sharing this, because? Norm is one of the finest people, I know. He is Very talent, very kind, and caring and wants everyone to be pleased with his work. His is an old school artist that takes pride in what he does. Any bespoke product, would take time. It does not matter it is a custom order exotic car, Seville Row Suit, a Bob Krammer Knife. I am thankful, that someone is still making parts for this dead brand. Frankly, Norm would be better off financially, if he focused on new cars, like Porsche parts, or the Camaro parts that people ask him to build or developing new product for more relevant brands. I would encourage you to give him a call, if he does not answer right away, it is because the grinder is running and he is sanding or his painting your part. By the way, Norm is not all that tech savvy, he can barely navigate a computer, he just learned about Facebook and still has that old Motorola flip phone. Call him, get to know him before you judge. He is a good, hardworking, honest person and very smart. Best of all he can build some very cool stuff.
Well said.:agree: I had lunch with him at the diner and that is exactly what he ate!:lol:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Mean, thanks for given folks some perspective on Norm, and his business. Rarely do I see or understand the small business person's point of view.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Just for the record I ordered a set of fenders from Norm and received them when promised but they were unpainted .When I talked to Katrina Norm's daughter I got the impression that he paints things on a limited basis maybe once or twice a month so could this be the hang up as far as getting parts ? As for the fenders my painter was impressed with the quality and fit very little prep work involved now if he'd only make a cowl injection type hood mmmmmm?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks like everyone has stepped in. I haven't personally ordered from Norm but every thread I see his name come up on say he is a one man army and builds to order. Sometimes there is a delay but he seems to always deliver.

Funny thing is I can understand were he comes from. Doing these projects and build to order parts take time and between that and other work sometimes time really does fly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Norm,

Does make a "cowl" hood. It is actually, a cold air ram air induction hood, I have some photos, Cant figure out how post them up.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Norm just sent me an email saying that my hood has shipped. It should be here next week.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I think it's the GTO hood. Since my goal was to try to make the car sort of look like a modern envisioning of a 70's Opel GT, I needed two slotted scoops in the front, and my car's car show persona is The Red Baron, so the louver/vent thing on the hood sort of lends some help to that look. The Formula hood was a little too aggressive. The big single scoop hood he has would have been my choice if I was just dressing the car up to be classy cool.

Here's the pics Norm sent me a couple of weeks ago:

Red Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Hood Bumper
Red Vehicle Car Hood Classic car
Red Product Vehicle Automotive exterior Car
Red Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I think it's the GTO hood. Since my goal was to try to make the car sort of look like a modern envisioning of a 70's Opel GT, I needed two slotted scoops in the front, and my car's car show persona is The Red Baron, so the louver/vent thing on the hood sort of lends some help to that look. The Formula hood was a little too aggressive. The big single scoop hood he has would have been my choice if I was just dressing the car up to be classy cool.

Here's the pics Norm sent me a couple of weeks ago:

View attachment 47065 View attachment 47073 View attachment 47081 View attachment 47089
That is fantastic! Single scoop is what I have.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Show us some pics of that single scooper! That ought to look really classy on a yellow car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts