Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
HVAC ducting plenum!
We just ordered some at work and it comes in sheets that you have to assemble. Just fold up the edges, put some duct tape on the corners to seal them and voila.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,377 Posts
There is no such thing as "duct" tape. It is either "duck" tape which is the fabric type of tape usually having a gray backing. It is called "duck" tape because it works underwater. This tape should not be used if it is going to get hot or if it needs to last more then 6 months. The tape that is used on HVAC ducts is foil tape which is an aluminum backed tape that has an adhesive or butyl rubber. This tape is specifically designed to hold up to heat. The butyl rubber works better then the adhesive backed when used in hot applications. It does not work well for cold applications. Neither version works well below freezing.

Reactions: MarkKlein

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
There is no such thing as "duct" tape. It is either "duck" tape which is the fabric type of tape usually having a gray backing. It is called "duck" tape because it works underwater. This tape should not be used if it is going to get hot or if it needs to last more then 6 months. The tape that is used on HVAC ducts is foil tape which is an aluminum backed tape that has an adhesive or butyl rubber. This tape is specifically designed to hold up to heat. The butyl rubber works better then the adhesive backed when used in hot applications. It does not work well for cold applications. Neither version works well below freezing.
Allllllrighty then. Get a cookie pan from the 99 cent store?
;)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Duck is a brand, right? Last month I was in the US and needed some tape to pack my box of Solstice goodies before checking it in at the airport. We stopped at a Walgreens and got a small roll of transparent plastic tape, Duck was the brand 😁
Told the wife "now I know where the term "duct" tape came from. Or did the duct tape came first and then they had the idea for the Duck brand?" Sort of like chicken and egg...

Liquid Drink Gas Grass Font

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
Duck tape was developed sometime around WW2 and was a strip of cotton duck with adhesive, so it was called "duck tape". During the building boom of the post-war era it was incorrectly used to seal HVAC ducts, so started to be called "duct tape". The Duck brand name came later.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
So how did we get from a discussion about Norm's excellent work to "what came first, the chicken or the egg"/ I finally got my parts from Norm and everybody who sees them has been impressed. The wait was longer than expected. When I called him to inquire he actually thought that he had filed the order. I told him that I now needed a rear bumper filler due to being rear ended and he put a rush on it and sent both items within a month or so. Again, excellent workmanship and worth the wait!

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ok. Well the reason I posted it was that I had just been dealing with some HVAC plenum at work and it shipped flat. I looked at the sheet and thought it would make a great temporary drain pan for under the solstice. KG happened to mention needing a shallow pan so I just threw out the thought.

I didn’t expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition.
;)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
It's something that interested people and they decided to go and look it up. It's a bit of history and one of those pieces of cool useless knowledge to have.

I have a bunch of clamps and small sections of 1.5" CSST and I am sure if I combine the pieces together they would be long enough to make the connection. That is what I am going to poke about with today. Along with cutting up the trees that broke and fell from the last snow storm. Had a tree fal and miss my solstice by ~1'.. There are 2 across my driveway that are 1/2 way down (uprooted) and a bunch snapped of 1/2 way up the tree (widow makers)

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have noticed most of my threads (intended or not) end up meandering this way and that due to everyone's input.
I am fine with that as i didnt start the post as a step by step "how to". I personally enjoy the banter and sometimes a thought or perspective may be offered that sends me down another helpful path. Sometimes I even learn something :)
Keep it coming is my vote !

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Those conversational tangents can lead to solutions for a problem. Its how peoples brains work. Reading some seemingly unrelated thing can trigger an idea. and that idea can lead to yet another and finally at the end when it seems really far from the original topic could be a solution to a problem or an answer to a question. That's how it works.

As your comment about a shallow drain pan was a thought/idea. As it turns out I happen to have sheets of galvanized metal used to make HVAC ducts and I could make a pan. I ave the hand tools to bend the metal and could make it without the need to use any "duct" tape :oops: :rolleyes: 😁. It was a solution to my problem. and as such the topic is about Norms front splitter and that drain pan to catch fluids would apply if you have one of Norms splitters installed. While it is a side conversation of sorts it is definitely connected to the title of the forum thread.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
So if you need to change an upper radiator hose and you do not have access to a jack how to catch the coolant when you have a norms fiberglass splitter has the answer of... Make a catch pan out of sheet metal that is used to make HVAC duct work. It can be bought form home depot in the isle where the duct work is and it has a cost of about 20.00 for a 3' x 5' sheet. You can use "duct" tape to seal it or not if it is bent in a manner that does not allow it to leak.

Solution to a problem if you have a Norm splitter installed!!!!

·
Registered
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
26 Posts
Just “snapped” it into place when I got home (temp fit for now so no fasteners)
Damn Norm is good. It almost doesn’t need fasteners the fit is so tight…
I have a GXP that is missing the lower piece of the front fascia. I actually did not realize it was missing this part until just recently when I was having such a hard time lining the bumper back up to the honeycomb piece after replacing the intercooler. Anyway would Norms splitter attach to a GXP fascia that is missing the very lower part and look appropriate? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I have a GXP that is missing the lower piece of the front fascia. I actually did not realize it was missing this part until just recently when I was having such a hard time lining the bumper back up to the honeycomb piece after replacing the intercooler. Anyway would Norms splitter attach to a GXP fascia that is missing the very lower part and look appropriate? Thanks.
Do you have a picture of
the damage you could post so i could better answer?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts