Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
you can see at the bottom where I have the air dam piece stitched to the honeycomb insert. The Intercooler is one of the aftermarket ones so it is a touch bigger.
Norms GXP spoiler is held on with 3M tape at various points in the front, and the ends wrap around the front of the wheel well and then screws into a wheel liner attachment point. But the GXP center section does provide additional support for it to be held on. I suppose it could work without it, but I'm just not sure for how long.

If you look closely at the ends you can see how they wrap inside the wheel well, there's either one or two holes in the ends that line up with the wheel well liner attachment bolts. But even when the spoiler is attached properly you still run the risk of it being ripped off by parking stops, speed bumps, high angled entry and exit ramps, etc. Especially if the car is also lowered with lowering springs or adjustable coilovers.

Point being it really would be in your best interest to replace your GXP fascia.

Car Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
you can see at the bottom where I have the air dam piece stitched to the honeycomb insert. The Intercooler is one of the aftermarket ones so it is a touch bigger.

View attachment 123044 View attachment 123043
I dont think there is enough support left on your bumper.
Norms actually goes into that bottom hole and is attached with 2 sided tape at that area.
There would be nothing holding the middle of the splitter up.

that being said if you got creative you could probably drill some holes so that the center of Norms could be fastened to the bottom yellow edge in your photo…

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,377 Posts
3M automotive trim tape. Put a line of it along the top edge of the splitter on the back side and stick the splitter to the bumper cover.

Prep the surface really well. I would compound the area on the bumper cover to get any wax off of it. Then I would give a liberal rubbing of alcohol where the tape is being applied on both the bumper cover and also the splitter. HEAT HEAT HEAT. you have to use heat when you apply the tape. I roll off the length I need and let it hang. I do not cut it off the roll. I then use a small butane torch and heat the exposed side of the tape until it starts to sizzle. Then stick that down to the splitter. Peel the backing off and then torch that side. Sick the splitter onto the car.

I have seen cars get wailed pretty hard in a car accident and the emblems do not fall off or get knocked loose. Same goes for trim. That tape is NO JOKE!!! You can get it at any auto parts store.

The trick to making the best possible adhesion is surface prep and heating the tape up.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The splitter comes with the tape preinstalled.
As ChopTop pointed out though it only bolts / christmass tree pins on the on the wheel well sides.
It is designed to slide into the hole that is missing the bottom half in the damaged bumper pictured above.
As i mentioned perhaps adding fasteners to the top edge of the hole instead of just tape would suffice but i would be wary because if it fails in the middle and there is no bottom support it could hang down while you are driving and be destroyed…
I think a new bumper cover would be the recommended course of action here.
You could always call Norm for his professional opinion though.

·
Registered
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
26 Posts
The GXP fascia is hard to come by.

when I saw the splitter I thought that would be a prefabricated piece to complete that part of the fascia but it does not seem like it would based on y’all’s thoughts.

My other idea is to try my hand at fabricating a piece of of aluminum to bridge the space between the honeycomb and the lower black piece. This has been low on my priority list but I think I’ve got everything else working well on the car. It was in moderately rough shape when I first got it two years ago

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The GXP fascia is hard to come by.

when I saw the splitter I thought that would be a prefabricated piece to complete that part of the fascia but it does not seem like it would based on y’all’s thoughts.

My other idea is to try my hand at fabricating a piece of of aluminum to bridge the space between the honeycomb and the lower black piece. This has been low on my priority list but I think I’ve got everything else working well on the car. It was in moderately rough shape when I first got it two years ago
Again, you may want to call Norm to get his thoughts. It is possible (since he hand makes them) that he could offer a slight change in his design to accommodate your damaged Fascia....

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,377 Posts
adding something like a piece of aluminum flat bar where that bottom piece was to support the new lip. easy to do. couple of "T" bolts, fender washers and lock nuts (all stainless steel) and bolt the bar right to the old bumper cover at the bottom. Because the new lip would cover the hardware and flat bar it wouldn't be seen at al unless the bumper cover gets taken off the vehicle. Then there is something there for the lip to rest on so it will not sag or fall.

I think that would be a viable solution.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts