Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Grille

Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Wheel Tire

I put in an order for one of these a few weeks ago. I think this will really add the nice touch of aggressiveness that the GXP needs.
The only thing I'm concerned about is rain water
getting through those vents. After all, I live in Florida and it rains like every other day. :oops:

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,189 Posts
thats not bad, possiably the best Ive seen for our cars.but to me it looks more like the new supra hood...I was parked next to a viper last week, but the supre looked a lot more like that.of coarse differnent years may have one like that on the viper too. that wooda looked wicked on my wicked coupe...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats not bad, possiably the best Ive seen for our cars.but to me it looks more like the new supra hood...I was parked next to a viper last week, but the supre looked a lot more like that.of coarse differnent years may have one like that on the viper too. that wooda looked wicked on my wicked coupe...
I can't see the resemblance at all. The new Supra's hood doesn't have any of the same vents as this one

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I must be remembering something different than....darn old brains....perhaps it was on the viper then I looked at the supra....

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,153 Posts
View attachment 116369

View attachment 116370

I put in an order for one of these a few weeks ago. I think this will really add the nice touch of aggressiveness that the GXP needs.
The only thing I'm concerned about is rain water
getting through those vents. After all, I live in Florida and it rains like every other day. :oops:
Where did that lip under the front bumper come from? Is that a Norm thing too?

·
Registered
586 Posts
There are some channels that are supposed to divert rain water away when the car is parked. They probably don't do anything if the car is in motion seeing as the airflow will be up out of the hood, but considering there's a number of holes in the front and bottom of the car designed to allow air (and therefore rain water) in anyway I never understood the concern of water intrusion to the engine compartment.

Reactions: Alex_GXP

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are drip trays that can be removed from under the vents. They hold a fair amount of water and are designed to drain water into the nose of the car When the hood is opened. No issues with washing, but would think they would fill up quickly in a rain storm if parked.

My experiences are from the viper hood from a Sky. Imagine they are the same.

·
Premium Member
17,243 Posts
There are some channels that are supposed to divert rain water away when the car is parked. They probably don't do anything if the car is in motion seeing as the airflow will be up out of the hood, but considering there's a number of holes in the front and bottom of the car designed to allow air (and therefore rain water) in anyway I never understood the concern of water intrusion to the engine compartment.
Well it depends. On my car, it can take days to clean up the engine bay if it got seriously dirty. :) But fortunately, the only water it sees is from washing the exterior and even in the odd rain shower, the top side of the engine stays dry. Well it did stay dry till I got the new GTO hood. LOL.

·
Administrator
9,172 Posts
I have driven my Skys in some really hard rain, and the upper part of the engine (where all of the wiring is) has never shown evidence of getting wet. My concern, whether or not it is rational, would be water falling on top of the engine.

·
Registered
586 Posts
While I'm only one data point, I don't have fender liners and the hood scoops dump straight into the engine bay. It sees lots of water on the highway during rain.

Engine bay also gets power washed out roughly once a year, though I do make a conscious effort to avoid hitting the air filter element and keep the nozzle at least 2ft back from most other surfaces in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I must be remembering something different than....darn old brains....perhaps it was on the viper then I looked at the supra....
The new Supra A90 does have a aftermarket viperish hood available for it by Art of the Attack, it also has flat fiberglass panels on the underside of the hood to help direct water from the engine.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Grille

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Brethern,
That Lip Is Norms,I Have One On My GXP,& as For CAI Holes On The Hood, Drove Through Some Pretty Heavy Rain & No Issues
Nervous
Yup. Caught that after my post. Thanks :)

Did you install the lip yourself or have a body shop do it? Curious as to how it attaches and how and if there is some “surgery” involved?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup. Caught that after my post. Thanks :)

Did you install the lip yourself or have a body shop do it? Curious as to how it attaches and how and if there is some “surgery” involved?
Brethern,
Norm Installed It For Me When I made A Road Trip To His Shop To Have His GTO Hood & Rear Facia Installed.Made me An Offer I Couldn't Refuse. Had A Blast Hanging Around His Old Shop & Meeting His Buddies As They Came Around.Reminded Me Of The Old Days Of Working In The Filling Station.By The Way,I Know He Doesn't Like To Paint,But He Is Excellent At It
Nervous,, P.S. He Fabbed Up Some Braces To Mount That Thing

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Brethern,
Norm Installed It For Me When I made A Road Trip To His Shop To Have His GTO Hood & Rear Facia Installed.Made me An Offer I Couldn't Refuse. Had A Blast Hanging Around His Old Shop & Meeting His Buddies As They Came Around.Reminded Me Of The Old Days Of Working In The Filling Station.By The Way,I Know He Doesn't Like To Paint,But He Is Excellent At It
Nervous,, P.S. He Fabbed Up Some Braces To Mount That Thing
Thanks for the info Nervous.
Sounds like a fun hang :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I do like nice lips, pontaic should of had them on these cars.just like that one, Im kinda fond of the norms spoiler on the coupe top he makes vs the gm spoiler on my coupe . I wish I had the $$ to put a norms top on my 06. as for painting. I was good at it, liked doing it, I've done quite a few, but it's been 18 years since I've painted a car so....when it comes time to have the nose of my coupe painted.I wont be doing it. I wish my budget had enough for that spoiler.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts