Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Northeast thread is lacking some good convo, so I'd figure I'd get some going. Is anyone putting snow tires on their Sol or changing their rims for the winter months up here?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I don't plan on it. My Sol will be mostly garaged for the snowy months, only taken out on nice weather days to get some exercise. My town is too hilly, with the secondary roads usually getting a half-a**ed plowing job, and I wouldn't want to drive a RWD in those conditions.

Then again, NJ snow isn't as bad or long lived as the snows further north, so my Sols exile to the garage shouldn't last too long.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sorry my Sol will be sleeping through the winter in the garage :lol:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Eh, I'm praying for the best. Might throw a bag of kitty litter on both sides of temple for extra traction. Though I think last year I was only caught in the snow like twice, so I'm not too worried (Farmers Almanic does say this one will be bad though...). No hills that I have to worry about and I'm a hop, skip, and jump from the main roads. No garage to put it in, so I don't have that option.

·
Registered
479 Posts
no snow tires for me, baby will be in her crib all winter.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My Sunfire has done admirably with all season BFGoodrich 15s so we'll just have to see.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nope, no snow tires here either. My Sol will also be wintering indoors when there's salt on the roads.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
No snow for mine either. It will sleep with my 86 Monti Carlo SS in the garage when there is salt on the roads just like the SS has for all her years.

Any one in the Northeast who has not seen a Solstice close up my dealer has a preproduction on display from today through Monday 10-10.

The dealer is CHAPDELAINE at 199 Mass Ave. Rte 2A, Lunenburg Mass.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Drex said:
Eh, I'm praying for the best. Might throw a bag of kitty litter on both sides of temple for extra traction. Though I think last year I was only caught in the snow like twice, so I'm not too worried (Farmers Almanic does say this one will be bad though...). No hills that I have to worry about and I'm a hop, skip, and jump from the main roads. No garage to put it in, so I don't have that option.
You get a dusting of snow where you are and the schools close. We are in the traditional lake effect area and it has to be about a foot deep before they cancel. The Sol will hibernate. BTW I heard that the Famer's Almanac correctly forecast Katrina and Rita.

·
Registered
621 Posts
achieftain said:
You get a dusting of snow where you are and the schools close. We are in the traditional lake effect area and it has to be about a foot deep before they cancel. The Sol will hibernate. BTW I heard that the Famer's Almanac correctly forecast Katrina and Rita.
Back in my day, we drove 10 miles through 3 inches of snow to get to school! ... up hill both ways! :lol:

It’s gotten ridiculous now with school closing and delays around here. Media doesn't help at all either though. Every winter I laugh my ass off as people flock to the supermarkets for milk, eggs, and bread when they forecast an inch.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Drex said:
Has teh Farmer's Almanac EVER said that we were to have an easy winter? :crazy:

·
Registered
242 Posts
snow tires on all 4 corners of the pickup truck. I'll be looking to change to summer tires when the solstice all season tires are ready to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Drex said:
Back in my day, we drove 10 miles through 3 inches of snow to get to school! ... up hill both ways! :lol:

It’s gotten ridiculous now with school closing and delays around here. Media doesn't help at all either though. Every winter I laugh my ass off as people flock to the supermarkets for milk, eggs, and bread when they forecast an inch.
Yeah, when they should be going out to the barn in back of the house for their own fresh milk and eggs. :lol: (insert a favorite saying here) Don't talk about farmers when your mouth is full.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
No way. I think the car is going to simply be too low for daily use in Buffalo during the winter. I bet you can get away with using the car in most areas, and probably in Buffalo every other winter, but we usually get way too many 6 inch snow falls to be trying to manuever a car with 3.6 inches of ground clearance around.

If I were to drive it in the winter, I would get 4 snow tires. The all seasons on the Sol are supposed to be ok in the winter, but they are so big and wide that I doubt they will bite into packed snow all that well. These are not the 195/75R14 all season tires of old that were skinny enough to bite in. Snows will certainly give you more bite on slick surfaces.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wish I had that choice to make

I won't have to worry about snow this season beacuse I ordered the car too late and it will probably arrive after the season. :brentil: I do, however, plan to drive in the Winter using the weather report as a guide. If it's going to snow (and it does in suburban Philadelphia) I'll park it and take my Chevy pick-up to work. Otherwise, the Sol will be my daily driver.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Western NY winters and small convertibles, especially rear wheeel drives are not good bedfellows. Mine will be wintered with my '90 Mid Life Chrysler Lebaron Convertible..oh wait I don't have one yet and won't until next spring or early summer! I meant next winter!

·
Registered
33 Posts
anticd70 said:
The Northeast thread is lacking some good convo, so I'd figure I'd get some going. Is anyone putting snow tires on their Sol or changing their rims for the winter months up here?
Yes I will be driving her this winter. Luckily I'm only ten miles from work and the other household car is an SUV. So I will be looking into snow tires soon.

My hubby just got home from driving the Sol and said, " It's like driving in a video game."

·
Registered
27 Posts
vin no 1074 has landed

Good news on the way home I saw a transpoter with 2 Sols heading North so I went South to see if ours was at the dealer. It was there in the shop getting preped for tommorrow pick up :party:

Its true the Northeast will see a solsti berfore snow :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
At the detroit event we were chatting with GM people who were road testing pre production solstices. the reports are it handles well in light snow. The problem is solstice ground clearance in deeper snow. An inch or two is all it can handle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.