Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: New to the site. Looks great. I have this info from a local dealer, much the same as I have read here:

Our information is a little bit limited but here is what we know. The
vehicle will begin production in May of 2005 as a 2006 model. Delivery date
would be approx. late summer of 2005. The availability will be limited
(likely a first come first serve type scenario), and the expected price of
the vehicle is in the $30,000 range. I hope this info helps you a bit, let
me know if you have any other questions.

I'll visit regularly. Love the car!

CM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah thats waht I was expecting. Im from ontario and I expected the car to go for about 35k or a little higher for a fully loaded solstice. which isnt that bad of a price for a sports car considering you cant find a S2000 used for under 45k. but its wierd cause there offering a brand new Caviler or Sunfire for 13,999$. its odd.:banghead

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Cavalier is a car that GM loses money on for every one they sell for a variety of reasons. Main one is that the car is very out of date, and not very competitive. Hence, GM offers large rebates to move the cars, cutting any profit they would have had. This should improve for GM, since the Cavalier is in it's last year, and the new Cobalt appears to be a MUCH better car, and very competitive with the best compacts out there.

In regards to CAFE, GM also does not overly mind that they sell the Cavalier at a loss since it is a small, fuel-efficient vehicle that allows them to meet government fuel regulations. In other words, for every Cavalier they sell at a loss, they lower their average fuel consumption per vehicle, allowing them to sell a larger vehicle that consumes more fuel, at a profit.

All manufacturers are forced to agree to these CAFE requirements, hence Nissan's current arguments with the government on how certain vehicles are classified.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Supply and demand and economy of scale. Not many Solstice and no one is very excited about the hundreds of thousands of Cavaliers and Sunbirds. Plus they got to ditch the Cavaliers to make way for the Cobalt.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It better not be $35K Canadian. At the current exchange rate, $20K US would be well below $30K Canadian.
For 35K Canadian, you can get into a base RX8!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Remember- That info is from a dealer. He is probably building in his dealer mark up and giving himself alittle wiggle room. It's better for him to quote you a little high than low. Right now there is no way any dealer can give you an accurate price, they haven't built the car yet! The fact that your in the dealership asking about it a year and a half out means to them that you're hot and bothered to get one. They hope you'll buy it no matter what!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts