Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Were inviting everyone to join the OKISS wine lovers on a trip to Northern Michigan to tour the Tunnel of Trees and then the wine country around Traverse City Mi. This trip will begin in Pellston Mi. We will be arriving at Pellston on Friday afternoon Sept 23rd and spend the night at Pellston Lodge Pellston Lodge - Reservations We will depart Pellston Saturday morning the 24th at 8:30 am and drive to Cross Village Mi to start the drive through the tunnel of trees. After the Tunnel of Trees drive we will head to Traverse City Mi and drive to the first of several wineries located here Michigan Wines : Maps : Winery Tour Map : Northwest Region after the wine tour we will return to Traverse City for dinner ( location to be decided later) Sunday Sept 25 we will depart Traverse City and make stops at a few of the southern wineries on our way back home. Those wineries will be determined later.
We will be staying at the Super 8 in Traverse City Saturday night. Super8: Online hotel reservations, special hotel discounts, vacation packages and Wyndham Rewards

The final details have been set for this run. For all interested parties you may join us at the starting point in Pellston Mi. either Friday night the 23rd or Saturday morning the 24th Dinner Friday night will be here Douglas Lake Bar and Steakhouse we plan on leaving the motel at 7 pm for dinner.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip. While you are that close you should be sure to go to the tunnel of trees. You may even get a few MKC members to tag along. Sceenery should be great.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a nice trip. While you are that close you should be sure to go to the tunnel of trees. You may even get a few MKC members to tag along. Sceenery should be great.

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Would welcome anyone who is interested. I am looking at making the starting point where the tunnel starts on Saturday morning and still arriving at the wineries area in time to take in a few of them. I think it will work. Only change would be that we would spend Friday night somewhere around Cross Village Mi. If we started at Cross Village the tunnel of trees is around a 20 mile trip. If we allow and hour and a half to run the 20 miles of the tunnel it would allow for some time for stopping to view the sights. We would still have enough time to reach the wine area north of Traverse City by noon or so to take in the some wine tasting and lunch. For those wondering about the tunnel of trees here is a nice article about it. Touring Michigan's Tunnel of Trees - Grand Rapids Tourism | Examiner.com. I will post motel info soon that we could use as a starting point on Saturday morning and anyone interested can just be there to make the run. I would appreciate it that you post here if you do plan to attend.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
You won't find any accomodations around the tunnel of trees. Cross Village is in the middle of nowhere but the tunnel of trees is worth the drive. Very interesting polish restaurant located in Cross Village (about the only thing there!). Unfortunately weekends can be hectic on the tunnel of trees. Probably your best hotel location will be Petosky. You will drive through Harbor Springs on your way to the tunnel. It is a very scenic little town. Still have time to hit wine country around Traverse City.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You won't find any accomodations around the tunnel of trees. Cross Village is in the middle of nowhere but the tunnel of trees is worth the drive. Very interesting polish restaurant located in Cross Village (about the only thing there!). Unfortunately weekends can be hectic on the tunnel of trees. Probably your best hotel location will be Petosky. You will drive through Harbor Springs on your way to the tunnel. It is a very scenic little town. Still have time to hit wine country around Traverse City.

Was thinking of trying this hotel in Pellston Mi Welcome to the Pellston Lodge it is about 15 miles or so from Cross Village.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Were inviting everyone to join the OKISS wine lovers on a trip to Northern Michigan to tour the Tunnel of Trees and then the wine country around Traverse City Mi. This trip will begin in Pellston Mi. We will be arriving at Pellston on Friday afternoon Sept 23rd and spend the night at Pellston Lodge Pellston Lodge - Reservations We will depart Pellston Saturday morning the 24th at 8:30 am and drive to Cross Village Mi to start the drive through the tunnel of trees. After the Tunnel of Trees drive we will head to Traverse City Mi and drive to the first of several wineries located here Michigan Wines : Maps : Winery Tour Map : Northwest Region after the wine tour we will return to Traverse City for dinner ( location to be decided later) Sunday Sept 25 we will depart Traverse City and make stops at a few of the southern wineries on our way back home. Those wineries will be determined later.
We will be staying at the Super 8 in Traverse City Saturday night. Super8: Online hotel reservations, special hotel discounts, vacation packages and Wyndham Rewards

The final details have been set for this run. For all interested parties you may join us at the starting point in Pellston Mi. either Friday night the 23rd or Saturday morning the 24th Dinner Friday night will be here Douglas Lake Bar and Steakhouse we plan on leaving the motel at 7 pm for dinner.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Hoosier: It has been you and I on these posts. How many do you have joining you for this cruise? Hopefully the weather will cooperate with you.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoosier: It has been you and I on these posts. How many do you have joining you for this cruise? Hopefully the weather will cooperate with you.
As it stands now just one other car and myself. Kind of hard to get a handle on the weather at this point but it is looking promising in the long range forecast.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
I had hoped to get up there and join you guys, but wasn't able to work it out. Hopefully the weather was OK and that you enjoyed the great roads. Weekends are busy on the tunnel of trees so I hope you hit it right and were able to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had hoped to get up there and join you guys, but wasn't able to work it out. Hopefully the weather was OK and that you enjoyed the great roads. Weekends are busy on the tunnel of trees so I hope you hit it right and were able to enjoy.

Sorry you couldn't make it. Had a little light rain in the morning. Had the tunnel all to ourselves met 2 vehicles on the whole run. Weather turned more to our favor by the time we reached Traverse City and allowed for several nice wineries and an excellent meal that evening. We are a little early for the colors but we did have a good drive up the mission peninsula with all the excellent views.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Missed this post or may have met up. We are routinely up there and were even up there this particular weekend with the Solstice. We tend to be over on the Lelanau Pennensula / M22 / west bay areas most times. In addition to Tunnel of Trees, lots of good fall drives up in the area like Mission Point like you said.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey KitsonJC, going back to the hotel in Traverse City on Saturday night, the 24th, I was right behind a Sky, license plate "TC SKY", know them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts