Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at an orange 2008 GXP at a dealership and was surprised at how the paint color on the nose did not match the rest of the car very well. I of course questioned whether the car had been repaired and they assured me that this was very typical of the orange GXP's. It did have a clear carfax. Is there any truth to this or was this a salesman line of B/S?
Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I can only tell you by my experience that mine seems to match perfectly. I have a 2008 GXP. Brazen orange (aka inferno)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Go back to 07 & 08 and there are threads discussing color differences between the plastic panels and the body. Was told that the plastic was painted separate from the car and mated with it during assembly. Also discussion about flexible paint having different additives

·
Registered
612 Posts
My Redline has no less than 4 shades of sunburst on it; doors are one shade, hood another, mirrors and spoiler another, and fenders another. I will likely have it repainted this year.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
hello, its the same on the new Camaros. Some do some dont. Plus it depends on the angle of how you look at it too. Thanks Norm

·
Registered
306 Posts
My bumper seems a little darker than the car, I just waxed the car more than the bumper and it doesn't really show much. :)

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
As Rob stated, the plastic uses a different paint and comes off a different line. Sometimes the lots of paint hit dead on, sometimes they don't.

We use a spectraphotometer to check the color match of our plastic components we mold. (Used to do a LOT of interior trim.) It will give you a mathematical error calculation for how far from the target the actual color spectrum measured. The problem is that evaluating Red Blue Green is good, but not perfect. For instance if you're measuring a dark blue panel the amount of Red measured could be out of tolerance and you'd hardly even notice it. On a yellow panel the amount of Red measured could still be within tolerance, but you can really notice the difference.

Always laughed that buying this expensive equipment could tell whether we were in tolerance or not, but the bottom line was measured by the eyeball anyway! (And different people have different levels of color acuity.)

You'll probably notice it looks better or worse depending upon the amount of UV present - bright sunlight versus overcast, versus fluorescent, versus incandescent, etc.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Norm painted my hood, fenders, bumper, side skirts and diffuser. He did a great job. At first I thought the color was off but once I buffed it out, I feel it is spot on. It's the lighting that can mess the color of the Brazen's. Sometimes it looks red and sometimes you see the glimmer of gold fleck coming out more to create the orange effect. I love mine.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
There was a time when flex-additive was also added to the base paint in order for the paint to flex on urethane bumpers during low-impact accidents which was rumored to cause matching issues depending on the color, along with issues of the production process when the metal body is painted in one place and the urethane front and rear fascia's was being painted during another part of the production process. Also, due to how light reflects off differently on pearls and metallic's than straight colors (blk, white) it becomes even more important that during the paint production process that all body panels be painted together so all panels are receiving the same paint pressure and angle in order to color match each other.

A vehicle panels can also play a part if say the door is a flat panel and the front and rear fenders are convex because pearls and metallic's reflect light off differently from each other.

I'm not sure if Carfax has their own independent database or rely on being able to query insurance companies database for reported claims. Which means if someone didn't make a claim to their insurance company and paid for the repair out of their own pocket no one will be the wiser. I also doubt if car dealers record or report minor repairs.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts