Why did it fail?

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lack of continued support from membership and little to no interest from others to serve as committee members.
That's a shame. Maybe it can be a smaller run organization. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson; "How hard can it be?"

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
That's a shame. Maybe it can be a smaller run organization. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson; "How hard can it be?"
About a year ago or so, several members looked into it again and it was decided that due to the relative small number of active Kappa owners there was not enough interest at this time. Right now everyone is relying on forums and Facebook for local, regional, and national meet information.

Possibly in the future, as our cars age and become more in the "classics" stage, there may be more inclination toward a national organization. Only time will tell.

Oh...and as far as your quote....I think you'd be surprised at how hard it can be, been there, done that! :D

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i remember correctly, it's usually not long after issuing that challenge to the automobile gods that he ends up in traction and his car explodes...:glol:
shhhhh! :)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About a year ago or so, several members looked into it again and it was decided that due to the relative small number of active Kappa owners there was not enough interest at this time. Right now everyone is relying on forums and Facebook for local, regional, and national meet information.

Possibly in the future, as our cars age and become more in the "classics" stage, there may be more inclination toward a national organization. Only time will tell.

Oh...and as far as your quote....I think you'd be surprised at how hard it can be, been there, done that! :D
That's disappointing. I think part of the problem could be that we have a Solstice forum and a Sky forum; not to mention a performance page. If we can consolidate them into one, it would be a start.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
The real problem is that a "National Organization" doesn't really bring any added value. The forums provide all of the communication and information that are needed, and no one is going to restrict meet attendance to "members only".

Forum consolidation isn't going to happen. There is no financial justification for Autoforums to combine theirs, and the "Performance" forum was started because of certain members dissatisfaction with how things were handled here.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Forum consolidation isn't going to happen. There is no financial justification for Autoforums to combine theirs, and the "Performance" forum was started because of certain members dissatisfaction with how things were handled here.
You keep repeating this yet that was not the main reason (you may ask via PM how I know :D) it mostly had to do with having a forum designed specifically around those who wanted to talk about performance mods and enhancements to the Kappa platform, which at the time was not occurring much on either of the forums. Those members came off a totally different forum when the admin/owner of that forum started doing some underhanded things.

< I really do dislike the spread of misinformation and try to find the truth as best I can before relaying said information :yesnod:>

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
MomsSol : You keep repeating this yet that was not the main reason (you may ask via PM how I know ) it mostly had to do with having a forum designed specifically around those who wanted to talk about performance mods and enhancements to the Kappa platform, which at the time was not occurring much on either of the forums. Those members came off a totally different forum when the admin/owner of that forum started doing some underhanded things.

< I really do dislike the spread of misinformation and try to find the truth as best I can before relaying said information >
When KP was formed I received a PM inviting me to join it and stating the reasons I would like it better. Those stated reasons specified several areas of dissatisfaction with this forum and the way it was run. I will stand by what I was told, but at the end of the day the why really doesn't matter.

Regardless of the original reasons, how would you rate the chances of the forums being consolidated ? That was my real point.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When KP was formed I received a PM inviting me to join it and stating the reasons I would like it better. Those stated reasons specified several areas of dissatisfaction with this forum and the way it was run. I will stand by what I was told, but at the end of the day the why really doesn't matter.

Regardless of the original reasons, how would you rate the chances of the forums being consolidated ? That was my real point.
I think it would be a huge benefit for everyone to merge them. It would help spur interest in the cars and keep the community alive. It would also make having a national organization much simpler seeing as membership in the organization could be as simple as being a paying member on the forum.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Originally Posted by JRinKY

I think it would be a huge benefit for everyone to merge them. It would help spur interest in the cars and keep the community alive. It would also make having a national organization much simpler seeing as membership in the organization could be as simple as being a paying member on the forum.
The discussion of merging the Solstice and Sky Forums has been ongoing by many members for the past 5-6 years. However, because both are now own by Autoforums and no longer an independent owner, the chances of a merger occurring are slim to none. Autoforums also owns another lessor known and less frequented Solstice forum.... solsticeforums.com which basically is a "dead" forum yet they won't take it down even though it is a spam haven.

If you have never Google Autoforums, do it....they own a large part of all the auto forums on the Internet!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The discussion of merging the Solstice and Sky Forums has been ongoing by many members for the past 5-6 years. However, because both are now own by Autoforums and no longer an independent owner, the chances of a merger occurring are slim to none. Autoforums also owns another lessor known and less frequented Solstice forum.... solsticeforums.com which basically is a "dead" forum yet they won't take it down even though it is a spam haven.

If you have never Google Autoforums, do it....they own a large part of all the auto forums on the Internet!
Sounds like we are being held hostage. :D

So how do we alter the forum in any way? i.e. change the banner on top or add sections for Sky discussion.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
As mom said it will not happen. And the three forums do have a different character. Most people like having them separate in my opinion
On top of 3 forums, add Facebook. Most all of the local groups, as well as regional and national meets, have Facebook pages. It does take a lot of effort to cross post information to all sites but many are learning that to reach more owners they've had to extended their reach.

I agree with Rob regarding the forums having their own character, some vist all 3 plus Facebook, some only frequent the forums, some only stay on the smaller boards ( there is actually a 4th) because they like the smaller more friendly forums where they have met most of the members.

As far as making major changes, like the banner or new sub-forums, that must be done by the Admin at Autoforums.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
On top of 3 forums, add Facebook. Most all of the local groups, as well as regional and national meets, have Facebook pages. It does take a lot of effort to cross post information to all sites but many are learning that to reach more owners they've had to extended their reach.
When I created the threads for T2TR VII I 1st put it HERE, then Skyside and only then on FB. Imagine my surprise when I checked SKYside to see (initally) 36 reads and ZERO posts. After John (JRinky) mentioned he did NOT frequent FB some of us old timers started posting recaps on Skyside.
But 90+% of all activity has been on FB.

Even here..on SOLside almost all posts are by the old timers to keep everyone in the loop.

I've been here 7 years now and sometimes think it sad that FB holds the controlling interest.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
When I created the threads for T2TR VII I 1st put it HERE, then Skyside and only then on FB. Imagine my surprise when I checked SKYside to see (initally) 36 reads and ZERO posts. After John (JRinky) mentioned he did NOT frequent FB some of us old timers started posting recaps on Skyside.
But 90+% of all activity has been on FB.

Even here..on SOLside almost all posts are by the old timers to keep everyone in the loop.

I've been here 7 years now and sometimes think it sad that FB holds the controlling interest.
I've never seen any facebook solstice clubs. :confused:

I did follow your links to solstice-forum.com I registered for the SWSC page, but can't get on the solstice-forum. It says registration is closed. :(

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts