Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was taking a look at the new MX-5 on a whim after reading the USAToday review, and I came across something very interesting.

It would seem that the "Special Edition" that was limited to only 750 cars in the U.S. is still in plentiful supply!

Not a great sign for the all new MX-5. Forget the fact that you can walk into almost any Mazda dealership and find an MX-5 sitting on the lot, but you can still walk into a dealership and find a Special Edition sitting around!

I find this very surprising, considering how large of an installed base the Miata has, you would think that they would be clamoring for the limited edition of the very first totally redesigned Miata. Doesn't bode well for the new MX-5 at all IMO.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=mx5LimitedEdition&vehicleCode=MX5

Flagg

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Could be the price, that limited/special edition is 27k I think. Once you get over 25k you start bringing higher priced cars into play.

Hear that Pontiac dealers who are adding market adjustments over MSRP :cuss:

·
Registered
608 Posts
There's lots of turnover in inventory. I monitor the inventory in Denver and very few cars have stayed at any dealer more than a week or two. Same for Salt Lake, St Louis and Pheonix. The third shipment of cars just arrived in the USA so stocks are good again, but the car is selling well. In Japan, they've sold more than twice as many as was expected to date. The car hasn't even made it to Europe yet, a market expected to eventually be bigger than the US for Mazda.

That said, the LE is a huge waste of cash. No way would I spend that much on an MX-5. One local dealer has an LE marked up over 28K. He may be expecting to sit on that one for a while.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mazda does an LE or SE or both every year. While a few may be slightly more "desirable" because of certain colors, most Miata people tend to look at them as just luxury versions. It's just a Miata loaded with every option and at a higher price.

Most years Mazda produced 1000-1500 of each. When 1000 other people have the exact same car, it kind of takes the "special" out of it.

Now me, I've got the rarest. 2002 Laser Blue Mica Custom Order. Only 151 every produced in that color and only 59 like mine with the cloth interior. Now that's a real limited edition.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
So long Miata......

And its still just a Miata.........Not for my money........I'm throught with the Miata. Great welcoming news when I first heard about and saw the Solstice! :yesnod:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I did some MX-5 searching tonight. Looks like there are 5 locally, and 3 of them are $27+ versions. They are probably the special editions. 3 black cars, 2 red.

If I have some free time, I'd like to get out to drive one. After driving a Sol, I'd really like to compare. However, it may not happen this weekend.

Anyway, $27K on the sticker is a lot for an MX-5. I wouldn't rule out spending that much, but it has to be pushing it. I know I could get a new Crossfire coupe at that price, and people have been getting S2K's for about $29K lately.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
toddwcarpenter said:
The third shipment of cars just arrived in the USA so stocks are good again, but the car is selling well. In Japan, they've sold more than twice as many as was expected to date. The car hasn't even made it to Europe yet, a market expected to eventually be bigger than the US for Mazda.
I wouldn't doubt it's selling well outside the country, because it's not competing with the Solstice.

That's kind of the point. The Solstice sold out of the first 1k in 42 minutes (Less, when you factor in the 20+ minutes the Server was crashed. And Mazda still has the 750 Special Editions available months later.

Yes they may have them available every year, but this is the very first total redesign of the Miata since it's inception. It would seem that the Soltice is taking a huge bite out of Mazda's market share, which is more than GM could have ever hoped for.

Flagg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fformula88 said:
I did some MX-5 searching tonight. Looks like there are 5 locally, and 3 of them are $27+ versions. They are probably the special editions. 3 black cars, 2 red.

If I have some free time, I'd like to get out to drive one. After driving a Sol, I'd really like to compare. However, it may not happen this weekend.

Anyway, $27K on the sticker is a lot for an MX-5. I wouldn't rule out spending that much, but it has to be pushing it. I know I could get a new Crossfire coupe at that price, and people have been getting S2K's for about $29K lately.
I plan on test driving an MX-5 very soon. I love the way the Solstice handles so I am very curious to see what all the fuss is about as far as the MX-5 goes. From what I hear, it must handle like a dream.

Flagg

·
Registered
608 Posts
Flagg said:
I wouldn't doubt it's selling well outside the country, because it's not competing with the Solstice.
I seriously doubt that a Solstice in Japan would be the same competition to the MX-5 as the opposite here in the US.

But the point is that it is selling well in the US. Like I said, The inventory on Mazda's site continues to turnover. If a car sells out over 11 months, or a couple minutes, what's the difference? The fact that there is available inventory for the MX-5 is not "bad news". It business as usual. The Solstice will be no different in the years to come.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
toddwcarpenter said:
I seriously doubt that a Solstice in Japan would be the same competition to the MX-5 as the opposite here in the US.
I don't doubt it, the MX-5 is smaller and arguably 'cuter', both of those attributes would appeal more to the Japanese market, but not the US, Canada or Europe.

toddwcarpenter said:
But the point is that it is selling well in the US. Like I said, The inventory on Mazda's site continues to turnover. If a car sells out over 11 months, or a couple minutes, what's the difference? The fact that there is available inventory for the MX-5 is not "bad news". It business as usual. The Solstice will be no different in the years to come.
According to published reports, Mazda only planned on selling 10,000 MX-5s per year to the US market. That's a fairly small production number, and one would think that if demand were equal to that number then the car would be sold out everywhere. If those numbers hold true, then it would appear that the MX-5 will move substantially less than 10,000 units this year, which by all accounts would be seen as a huge disappointment for Mazda.

Flagg

·
Registered
608 Posts
One other thing about the "Search Inventory" tool on Mazda's site. Not all of these cars are actually at the dealers yet (Mazda posts the VIN's just after they leave the port). Others have not gone through dealer prep, and in one case I know of, the car I was tracking turned out to be presold, even though it was listed in the inventory.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Flagg said:
That's a fairly small production number, and one would think that if demand were equal to that number then the car would be sold out everywhere. If those numbers hold true, then it would appear that the MX-5 will move substantially less than 10,000 units this year, which by all accounts would be seen as a huge disappointment for Mazda.
That makes absolutly no sense to me. Most every car on the market that meets it's sales goals, does so without selling out in advance.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Flagg said:
I don't doubt it, the MX-5 is smaller and arguably 'cuter', both of those attributes would appeal more to the Japanese market, but not the US, Canada or Europe.
I'm pretty sure the MX-5 will outsell the Solstice in Europe as well. :p In fact, Mazda looked at it's entire market, and built a sports car (and production line) that will serve 40,000 buyers in it's first model year. Pontiac looked at IT'S market and decided to only build half as many cars. I don't see how selling out the car makes it more of a sucsess, or spells trouble for the company that will sell twice as many units.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
toddwcarpenter said:
That makes absolutly no sense to me. Most every car on the market that meets it's sales goals, does so without selling out in advance.
Maybe so, maybe not.

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000070056677/

Mazda sold around 20,000 Miatas in North America last year. They actually expect to sell LESS of the totally redesigned 2006 MX-5. Seems even Mazda admits that they won't meet their original sales goal, and I would be willing to bet that sales don't even meet the lowered estimate of 16,000 for North America.

Flagg

·
Registered
608 Posts
Flagg said:
There is no doubt that the Solstice will have an effect on US sales. That still does not "spell trouble" for Mazda. They designed a car that would play better in it's other markets. They will sell more MX-5's worldwide this year than last, twice as many sports cars as Pontiac.

BTW, that blog doesn't jive with what Mazda has said in the past. From what I've read, only 10,000 MX-5's are projected to be delivered to North America. Like the Solstice, the MX-5 will be limited by production capicity in it's first year, not demand.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
Except in this case, it's not even loaded. Just a bunch of chrome goodies and some nice wheels.
Nope, the SV has everything but the kitchen sink. It's a GT with the Premium Package 2.

Standard Features
Safety & Security:
48 MONTH / 50,000 MILE "BUMPER-TO-BUMPER" WARRANTY
24 HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
LOANER CAR PROGRAM
DUAL FRONT AIRBAGS
SIDE IMPACT AIRBAGS
ANTITHEFT ENGINE IMMOBILIZER
ANTITHEFT ALARM SYSTEM

Interior:
AIR CONDITIONING
3-SPOKE LEATHER STEERING WHEEL W/ TILT AND LEATHER SHIFT KNOB AND LEATHER PARKING BRAKE LEVER
AM/FM W/CD PLAYER / CLOCK
BOSE 7 SPEAKERS SYSTEM
LEATHER SEAT UPHOLSTERY
STEERING WHEEL MOUNTED CRUISE AND AUDIO CONTROLS
POWER WINDOWS / DOOR LOCKS
MESH AERO BOARD
FLOOR MATS
UNIQUE SILVER CENTER PANEL
SPECIAL ORNAMENT

Exterior:
CHROME PILLAR GARNISH
CHROME FRONT GRILLE GARNISH
UNIQUE DESIGNED ALLOY WHEELS
FOG LAMPS W/ CHROME BEZELS
CHROME DOOR OUTER HANDLES
GLASS REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER

Engine & Mechanical:
2.0L DOHC 16-VALVE I4 ENGINE
6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
REAR-WHEEL DRIVE
4-WHL DISC ANTI-LOCK BRAKES (ABS)
FRONT TOWER BRACE
FRONT DOUBLE WISHBONE SUSP.
FRONT AND REAR STABILIZER BARS
ALUMINUM POWER PLANT FRAME
REAR MULTI-LINK SUSP.
SPORT TUNED SUSPENSION
BILSTEIN SHOCKS
LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
XENON HID HEADLIGHTS
TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
ANTI-THEFT ALARM SYSTEM
DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL
ADVANCED KEYLESS ENTRY

The only option it doesn't have is the run flat tires and they don't come with the sport suspension.

In the US it only comes in one color, Velocity Red Mica.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The limeted addition at my dealer did not have stability/traction control. The button was not there. Didn't have HIDs or the sport suspension either. I'll have to go take another look to be sure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
toddwcarpenter said:
I'm pretty sure the MX-5 will outsell the Solstice in Europe as well. :p In fact, Mazda looked at it's entire market, and built a sports car (and production line) that will serve 40,000 buyers in it's first model year. Pontiac looked at IT'S market and decided to only build half as many cars. I don't see how selling out the car makes it more of a sucsess, or spells trouble for the company that will sell twice as many units.
Well, I agree that Pontiac vastly underestimated demand, but in fairness, who would have thought that a brand new roadster could sell more than 20,000-30,000 units per year, especially trying to compete against a totally redesigned version of the best selling roadster in history?

And like I said, to me it appears that the MX-5 does not appear to be moving well, and I don't think it will meet expectations.

But I guess only time will tell on that one.

Flagg

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been researching the Miata sales in this country and have discovered
that they have been trending down for the past 6 years. North American
sales (which includes Canada) have been 16K,18K,14K,12K,9356 last year, and thru August 31 this year were less than 4300. Corvette sales, for example have been very consistent - over the past 6 years sales have been between 33K and 36K every single year. High water mark for Miata sales
was 75K worldwide in 1989-1990, with 40K + in North America. At their last press release in which they provided sales figures, Mazda North America said that they expect sales in the US to trail those in Europe and Japan for the first time ever - reason : the Solstice and Sky roadsters. If you monitor
Miata sales on EBAY, you'll see that dealers have offered new 2006 models
at a Buy-It-Now price of MSRP minus $1K. None of the five or six cars that
I saw offered got ANY bids, and none of them sold. Several were Special Editions. The thing is - this was a total redesign year for Miata (styling
pretty much didn't change) and they were expecting big things in terms of halting the slide in sales they've been going thru. Don't believe it's going to work. A reporter at the unveiling of the new Miata said that everyone was all ready to applaud when the cover was taken off the new car. When it was there was dead silence. That tell you everything you need to know about how well the new design has been received.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts