Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my car a hosing down today. I was surprised to see that you can barely run your hand around the inside of the wheel well without hitting the tire. There is less than an inch of space. This would concern me if I planned to use the car in the snow. I remember when I was a kid, my father had a body shop on Long Island. Each year, he had one or two Corvettes in the shop having the fenders repaired. The owners would drive the car in the snow. The ice and snow would build up around the wheel weld. Occasionally a chunk would break free and ride around the tire. In doing so, it would tear out a bid piece of the wheel weld/fender.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have driven my C5 corvette in the snow..(been caught in bad storms that surprised us)

Although I don't believe the solstice will be a good snow car I wouldn't worry about damaging the car from snow in the wheel wells.

JMO

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have seen some C4 and C5 Corvette's driven through winters here too. Not sure how they put up with it because they must not be easy to drive in the winter, but they must get buy. They cannot be that bad.

The Sol should be able to handle snow. Even Lori Queen said it was ok in snow. With a low ground clearance, fairly light weight for a car, RWD layout, shorter wheelbase, and wide tires, the Sol is certainly NOT an ideal winter vehicle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Not sure how they put up with it because they must not be easy to drive in the winter, but they must get buy. They cannot be that bad.

The Sol should be able to handle snow. Even Lori Queen said it was ok in snow. With a low ground clearance, fairly light weight for a car, RWD layout, shorter wheelbase, and wide tires, the Sol is certainly NOT an ideal winter vehicle.

I think my experience with my MR2 in Snow has been what I expect in the Solstice. It doesn't handle turns well, with the back end breaking loose. I have driven in up to 4 inches -- Delaware doesn't get much --- and it was a manageable adventure. fortunately, work here gets cancelled with that much snow still on the roads. :)

Thus, I don't really worry too much and look forward to our rare snowstorms.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Eastocean said:
I think my experience with my MR2 in Snow has been what I expect in the Solstice. It doesn't handle turns well, with the back end breaking loose. I have driven in up to 4 inches -- Delaware doesn't get much --- and it was a manageable adventure. fortunately, work here gets cancelled with that much snow still on the roads. :)

Thus, I don't really worry too much and look forward to our rare snowstorms.
Just a guess, but I am thinking that the Sol may turn a little better than the MR2 in the snow. Having driven Fieros in the winter in the past, I found that they could break lose in the back too, but it is in part because the engine is back there and creates a pendulum effect. Also, the front tires don't have the weight of the engine over them, so they don't bite as well either. The Sol by comparison is slightly front weight biased (about 52-48) so the rear end probably won't be as quick to give way as athe MR2. At least it is a balanced car which helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Santa's sled is a convertible! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts