Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An answer. I have a 2006 base 2.4 with 107,000 miles. Second summer coming up for me. Last summer coolant temp was running 210+. After some research came to the conclusion of while its on the high side of normal it should be no problem. Doing a little spring detailing of my vehicles. Cleaning the radiator with coil safe non acid coil cleaner is one thing I do. Mix rate 1:1. Its very important on my stupid Dodge pickup to keep the radiator clean because of possible overheating issues. The dodge gets a couple cleanings per year. I cleaned the radiator on the Solstice also. Coolant temp now +-195. A significant drop in temp. It didnt look that plugged but apparently it was. Clean your radiators boys and girls.

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
Seems like good advice, and an easy first step.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Are we talking this product goes inside or outside the radiator?
(Sorry if it is an obvious question)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Sorry, nursing a nasty Moderna hangover.

So you folks are pulling your radiators to do this?
Pretty big job no?

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts

Pretty big job no?
This type of radiator cleaning is generally done with it in place. At most I think you might remove the shroud to provide better access.

·
Registered
110 Posts
An answer. I have a 2006 base 2.4 with 107,000 miles. Second summer coming up for me. Last summer coolant temp was running 210+. After some research came to the conclusion of while its on the high side of normal it should be no problem. Doing a little spring detailing of my vehicles. Cleaning the radiator with coil safe non acid coil cleaner is one thing I do. Mix rate 1:1. Its very important on my stupid Dodge pickup to keep the radiator clean because of possible overheating issues. The dodge gets a couple cleanings per year. I cleaned the radiator on the Solstice also. Coolant temp now +-195. A significant drop in temp. It didnt look that plugged but apparently it was. Clean your radiators boys and girls.
This seems like a duh moment for me. I never even thought to do this on the car. I spray down the coils on our AC condenser every year with a similar product for the same reasons. Considering how our radiators sit in our cars they don't get hosed off well with everything around it. I usually run in the low 200's almost always and considering the amount of Oklahoma dust/silt I found in every crevice of the car when I bought it, I bet the radiator is just filled with it. A big THANK YOU for this idea, I love this forum!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
This type of radiator cleaning is generally done with it in place. At most I think you might remove the shroud to provide better access.
Ahh. That sounds more do-able. The one shark I really don’t want to poke on this car is the coolant / water pump.
I do not believe the vehicles pump was replaced before I bought it and at 22K miles it’s fingers crossed :)

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
Ahh. That sounds more do-able. The one shark I really don’t want to poke on this car is the coolant / water pump.
I do not believe the vehicles pump was replaced before I bought it and at 22K miles it’s fingers crossed :)
The coolant has a published life of five years, so you are going to have to replace that eventually.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Well I bought her online from a dealership in Montana.
They claimed to have replaced the battery, brake pads and tires as well as fluid changes.
That being said is there anyway to tell in the age of your fluid?
Smell? Texture? Taste? (Just kidding!)
I assume not but figured I’d ask.

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
Well I bought her online from a dealership in Montana.
They claimed to have replaced the battery, brake pads and tires as well as fluid changes.
That being said is there anyway to tell in the age of your fluid?
Smell? Texture? Taste? (Just kidding!)
I assume not but figured I’d ask.
The most reliable test is dne with test strips, but those are usually sold in packs of 100 for $20 +, and have a shelf life of 6 months. If you have a fleet that is cost effective, but for one or two cars you are probably better off just changing the coolant when in doubt.

I have seen people swear by conductivity testing, but for every positive review of that process I have seen a negative one, so I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Pretty big job no?
Just spray on the outside of the radiator. I took the front 2 little grills off sprayed on waited rinsed and replete. Pretty simple on mine. You need a little pump sprayer so you can get the solution through. The AC condenser is there also.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP mean yellow
59 Posts
I confess - this was the first thing I did when the car came to us.
The radiators were clogged with all kinds of dirt. Terrible sandwich (pictured).
I cleaned everything with a special nozzle of a vacuum cleaner and a compressor with a long tube (specially bent). Cleanliness is the foundation of health :)
But any chemistry needs to be washed off with a stream of water. And then purge the radiator with air again using the compressor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Great suggestion! I did some research. Now I am going to clean my AC coil as well!

Amazon.com Thanks You

No Rinse Evaporator Coil Cleaner Review - YouTube
The stuff shown in the video is only for an inside A/C coil. It relies on the condensate water to do the rinsing of the coil and break down the cleaning agents in the spray. If it is sprayed on any coils that don't get wet it will dry sticky and actually trap more dirt on the coil instead of allowing it to pass through. I've used thousands of can of that stuff throughout 30 plus years in the hvac field

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is what I use on my home’s AC condenser and since I had it handy I used it this afternoon on my radiator and hosed it off. It worked spectacular.

Aerosol Foam Coil Cleaner https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-Common...45-5-in-x-22-126-in-Box-Air-Filter/1000024695

BTW the space between the condenser and radiator was disgusting. I had no idea it would be that bad it was filled with grass, dirt, leaves, etc. I can understand now why I was always in the low 200’s. After, I ran around real quick I couldn’t believe the difference, I never once went over 199. Granted it was in the mid 70’s and the sun was setting, but I punched it hard on and off the highway, and sat at a few lights. The weekend next cruise will be a better test. For now I’m thrilled I can’t believe I never even considered this before!

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP mean yellow
59 Posts
The stuff shown in the video is only for an inside A/C coil. It relies on the condensate water to do the rinsing of the coil and break down the cleaning agents in the spray. If it is sprayed on any coils that don't get wet it will dry sticky and actually trap more dirt on the coil instead of allowing it to pass through. I've used thousands of can of that stuff throughout 30 plus years in the hvac field
I agree. There is very little space. It will be very difficult to rinse. Therefore, for now, I will stick to the dry cleaning practice (vacuum cleaner + compressor).

·
Super Moderator
16,744 Posts
True

Which is why it needs to be rinsed off.

It is an example of the kind of product that can be used. I have not used it but it looks like worth investigating further.

the product recommended above also needs to be rinsed

(4) How To Clean Your A/C Coils in 2021 for MAX COLD Air Conditioning Boost + Web Coil Cleaner Review - YouTube

·
Super Moderator
16,744 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts