Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Pammy's great pictures it showed a picture of the tires.
They had Goodyears Eagles on the show car.
I hate eagles and Good year. :mad Had eagles on a Grand Prix and STS. And also Goodyear tires on a truck.
Do you think Goodyear will be on the production car?

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I'm glad they have four tires on the car :lol

·
4,592 Posts
well, there goes another grand to replace the tires! :mad

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I won't mind the Eagles. I've had nothing but good performance and about 60K miles from the oem skins on my 97 GTP, so good that I replaced them with same. And my wife says my right foot is made of lead. Somebody has to verify that Motor Trend got the numbers right.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
So far everything has pointed to the Solstice having 18 inch Goodyear Eagle RS-A all season tires. I think the biggest surprise is the lack of a dedicated performance tire on the car! Its still supposed to have really good handling numbers from what should be an ideal suspension setup, but there should be plenty of room to improve handling with stickier tires.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
We've seen it with the good old "screamin' eagle" RS-A tires and some other performance tire. Possibly the performance tire will be an option packaged with different wheels. Can't recall now what the other tire was. Toyo Proxis, maybe?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
So far everything has pointed to the Solstice having 18 inch Goodyear Eagle RS-A all season tires. I think the biggest surprise is the lack of a dedicated performance tire on the car! Its still supposed to have really good handling numbers from what should be an ideal suspension setup, but there should be plenty of room to improve handling with stickier tires.
Gotta remember, the majority of us are just going to drive this thing around town and will never be on a track. Some of us would prefer not to replace the tires at 20k miles. People that care about maximum traction will have their own personal favorites and GM could never pick a tire to make everyone happy. Also consider that GM has a working relationship with Goodyear that goes back decades. Good working relations and price breaks go along way further than skid pad numbers when you're trying to make a profit on a 20k roadster.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Gotta remember, the majority of us are just going to drive this thing around town and will never be on a track. Some of us would prefer not to replace the tires at 20k miles. People that care about maximum traction will have their own personal favorites and GM could never pick a tire to make everyone happy. Also consider that GM has a working relationship with Goodyear that goes back decades. Good working relations and price breaks go along way further than skid pad numbers when you're trying to make a profit on a 20k roadster.
Don’t get me wrong. I am fine with an all season tire. The weather in Buffalo leans more towards bad weather than good anyway, and the all seasons will offer better poor weather traction in the rain and light snow than any performance tire could dream of. I am happy with them. I am just surprised on a dedicated sports car they would not have more aggressive rubber is all. The Ion Redline uses dedicated 17” Dunlop performance tires, SP 8000’s or something similar, I don’t remember exactly. The Cobalt SS is getting 18” Perrelli performance tires on it (I saw some may get Yokohama tires too). Based on these cars having summer rubber, I was surprised to see all seasons on the Sol.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think that it mainly has to do with roadsters typically being crusing cars. They expect the people who want to track it are going to replace the wheels with light weight possibly smaller rims with their own slicks on them.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The Ion Redline uses dedicated 17” Dunlop performance tires, SP 8000’s or something similar, I don’t remember exactly. The Cobalt SS is getting 18” Perrelli performance tires on it (I saw some may get Yokohama tires too). Based on these cars having summer rubber, I was surprised to see all seasons on the Sol.
Both the Ion and Cobalt have a lot more built in profit margin to allow more expensive upgrades because they are based on high volume sedans. The Solstice being only 20k units and selling for only 20k, well.. every penny counts. Also the the base Ion and Cobalt don't come with that rubber, so perhaps there is a performance upgrade package in the works for the Solstice too.

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
AeroDave said:
Both the Ion and Cobalt have a lot more built in profit margin to allow more expensive upgrades because they are based on high volume sedans. The Solstice being only 20k units and selling for only 20k, well.. every penny counts. Also the the base Ion and Cobalt don't come with that rubber, so perhaps there is a performance upgrade package in the works for the Solstice too.
I have to second his opinion, I think we may see some diferent rubber if and when the SC or turbo are announce by GM.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I agree that we are bound to see more aggressive rubber when a higher output engine hits market. Yet, I am still a little surprised. I understand saving some money here and there, and the profit margin debate. However, the base Solstice is not an economy car appliance like a run of the mill Cobalt of Ion is. Its a sports car from the start. GM also did not appear to cut any corners on any other aspects of the Solstices running gear. Dedicated aluminum suspension, bit 18 inch wheels, the new VVT engine, the CTS rear diff. The cost cutting in this car is in the feature content, not the stuff that affects performance.

My best guess is that the have managed to tune the suspension so well, that they can get extremely good ride and handling characteristics as well as good road feel while sticking with less agressive tires. Maybe this thing just drives so well that it doesn't need gumballs to hold the road! :thumbs

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have never had a sports car before so I have never really payed much attention to the tires on my cars aside from wear and inflation. What are the better tires available for sports cars that are good for all season traction, longevity, and stickyness?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Brian said:
I have never had a sports car before so I have never really payed much attention to the tires on my cars aside from wear and inflation. What are the better tires available for sports cars that are good for all season traction, longevity, and stickyness?
Anything that's considered a good sports car tire will in essence give you a very sticky/soft rubber that wears down quickly compared to most tires. You're also not going to have good dirt/snow/ice/water at all.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Brian said:
I am not sure there really is one great all around tire. Any all season compromises a few attributes, and they really are a jack of all trades, master of none. If you drive year round and face bad weather conditions in the winter (Chicago certainly qualifies here!) then all seasons still may not be enough in the winter either. However, you probably could get by, dedicated snows would make life much easier.

A lot of people seem to like Dunlop SP A2 all season tires for sporty applications. I had a set on my Fiero a while back and they were good in the rain and dry. I don't drive that car in snow so I cannot comment there. However, they wore quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:

My best guess is that the have managed to tune the suspension so well, that they can get extremely good ride and handling characteristics as well as good road feel while sticking with less agressive tires. Maybe this thing just drives so well that it doesn't need gumballs to hold the road! :thumbs

What about the possibility of the RS-A actually being tuned to provide good dry traction and sacrifice some of the really good snow traction, or wet traction for a different balance point? Maybe this is actually a pretty good hi-perf all season tire...

or maybe I'm just full of it.

I know it's possible, though. And the notion of tuning a suspension to get great ride and handling on "greasy rags" is not really possible. The tire is the number 1, top, major, numero-uno component for handling. No matter how you tune a suspension, you can't get a crappy tire to grip better than a sticky tire on a so-so suspension.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In 1992 I bought a brand new Chevrolet Lumina with Goodyear Eagles. I babied this car since it was the first brand new car I ever bought. So that being said every 3,000 miles I changed the oil rotated and checked air pressure on the tires. At 30,000 miles I had to replace the tires because they were all 4 evenly worn. I did manage to avoid cupping but I was hoping that with that kind of maintenance that I woiuld have seen at least 40,000 in not 60,000(if nothing else I should have had to replace the studs from wear first). I replace them with a cheaper brand called Kumho and got 40,000 with the same maintenance. That being said I won't let the fact that GM insist on using this soft rubber tire prevent me from buying this car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts