Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unknown when I bought my '06 Solstice last June, in researching what was on the car, I discovered her Riken Raptor ZR tires were UHP Summer tires.

Don't let anyone fool you, it may not get 30 below in South Alabama, but it gets cold. Sometimes in the teens with below zero windchill. It certainly drops below 40 degrees, the limit for Summer tires.

The Solstice is my daily driver and intend to keep her on the road through winter. I'm anxious to see if the CAI kicks in a bit more in the already cold air!

I like the Riken Raptors. The tread design helps reduce hydroplaning and they down right look cool! Cornering is great and tread wear is holding up well. I did get to run three 80+ mph Parade Laps at Barber Motorsports Park and they scuffed a little, but evened out after a few hundred miles back on the road.

Now I have to replace the summer tires. And I like the Riken Raptors.

So I just bought a set of Raptor ZR All Seasons from Tire Rack. Delivered today. Checked the DOT number for manufacture date and verified they were recently made.

Then I went back to Tire Rack to check the price on the ZR summer tires in case I need a spare. It appears they are no longer available in 245-45-18's.

A quick check around the Net showed "Out Of Stock" or "Unavailable." Some were for sale on E-Bay (used) and new ones on Amazon for $100 per tire more than I paid for the All Seasons!

So, now it seems we can add Riken Raptor UHP Summer tires to the list of rare items for the Solstice.

If this is the case, we can probably expect retailers who may have a stash of these tires on hand to jack up the price of this inexpensive (Michelin-made) UHP summer tire.

I'll try to follow this up after the swap-over to the All Season tires and let you know the difference between them and the UHP Summer tires.

I expect a bit more slippery ride!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I ran Rikens for years, but after they went extinct I switched to Sumitomos. Like Dave said, almost the same performance at 1/2 the price. I'm in Dallas & run summer tires year around with zero issues.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I had an 84 Vette, Olds Aurora, SC430, and an SLK, all took "odd" sized tires. I ran Sumitomos because they were the cheapest, but I never had good mileage or good performance from them. Many like the Conti's. I have never tried them. I also don't like tires under $100 each. Just my .02.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The 245/45/18 is a common size tire.....used on some model Dodge Challengers for one.....they'll be around for a long time, maybe not in the specific model tire you want but the size will be around.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Tire Rack shows 17 options for ultra high performance summer tires in that size and another 27 options if you throw in extreme and max performance summer. . One brand discontinuing a model doesn't indicate a coming dearth of tires for our cars.

·
Super Moderator
6,983 Posts
Tire Rack shows 17 options for ultra high performance summer tires in that size and another 27 options if you throw in extreme and max performance summer. . One brand discontinuing a model doesn't indicate a coming dearth of tires for our cars.
Most of the time it means that the manufacturer has introduced a replacement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see we're digging up old posts. This far down the line what I posted seems to be slightly misinterpreted.

The title "Now Even Tires Are Rare" is an overall reference on how parts for our cars are becoming difficult to find. In this case... a particular brand of tire.

The subject of the post is about the Riken Raptor ZR Summer tires. Not only did they come on my Solstice when I bought it, but many members of this forum have run them in the past - or, like me, still do. That made their lack of availability relevant to the forum.

Obviously, there are still many, many varieties of 245-45-18 tires available on the market.

Although appreciated, I personally don't need recommendations on other tires to purchase. I have two sets of tires - a set of Raptor ZR's (summer) and a set of Raptor UHP All Seasons. As my original post states, the ZR summers are no longer available so when one (or the set) goes away, then I will have to run the All Seasons exclusively or if I want a summer tire - change brands.

I agree with John:

Most of the time it means that the manufacturer has introduced a replacement.
Riken's replacement for the ZR's was with the All Season tire. Which run just fine, but the Solstice doesn't feel quite as "planted" as it does with the summers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Achilles ATR Sport 2 is available in an insane number of sizes including 245/45/18. $73 per tire at Simple Tire. These tires are the drifters choice of a 'sticky' tire, I run them as my street tires on several cars and they perform very well for a budget tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts