Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally came across the 2002 Popular Science article on the Solstice and from that, found confirmation on why I like the design so much. The 50's & 60's sports car styling elements were no accident. This is what the designer said in that article:

"Sports cars from the '50s and '60s are my favorites. The competition began shortly after I attended the Monterey Historic Races in northern California, so superb Jaguar, Alfa-Romeo, and Cheetah designs were fresh in my mind."

Maybe this is why a lot of us "older" folks are attracted to the car. It also says to me that the designs of that era are timeless. The designer was only 33 years old by the way.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i agree. in one of the earliest threads here, i remarked about how much the solstice reminded me of the porsche 550. its still does. :)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
...and the hardtop concept looks alot like a stretched cheetah to me.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The Solstice does have the sort of round fender styling popular in the 50's and 60's, but it doesn't really look like a Jag, Porsche, Alfa or Cheetah. It only looks like a Solstice. That's the genius of the design, to us old timers it reminds us of some of our favorite cars from our youth that we could never have, but not enough to where it pretends to be a ressurected fill-in-the-blank-hero-car. To young folks it's just a great new car.

It's retro in spirit, but totaly contemporary in execution. A winner by any standard in styling.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
As well as one subtle change. Like the new Thunderbird, the new Mini, the new VW and the old me, if you somehow took one back in time, you'd be surprised how it's gotten so much bigger ! :smile

·
Registered
753 Posts
thanks for the link to the article- the picture on the first page is one i hadn't seen before- solstice looks good from this angle too!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
cdb said:
thanks for the link to the article- the picture on the first page is one i hadn't seen before- solstice looks good from this angle too!
Keep in mind that it's a picture of the original concept, not the more recent showcar. Note the tiny mirrors and the absence of the hood crease. The final product doesn't look much different, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts