Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been gone into painful detail at some point, but please indulge a more recent member.

I placed my order during the EOP period, but well after the first 1000. My dealer indicated I was #41 at that dealership (which I suspect puts my order somewhere in summer 2006!). After much hounding, I finally received a VOM# from my dealer (I kept getting the feeling my order was sitting on a shelf somewhere). Anyway, how can I proceed in determining where (and when) my order will fall into production? I've been following y'all since April, so I'm aware they haven't started production yet. This is for my future sanity as I'm slowly losing it to date :willy: .

I spoke with Pontiac and they stated only my dealer could inform me of progress with my order/production. This is a little disconcerting considering my dealer tends to forget who I am :( . I think it's a San Diego thing - most of them are like that out here.
Didn't I read about folks calling Pontiac for updates on order status? Or was that some of our friendly dealers out there?

(different tangent coming...)

I don't want to get off on a rant but...(too late) All I'd really like is a close estimate as to when I might get this vehicle. I can wait for a year if need be, I'd just like some time to plan - as I'm sure many of us would :cuss:

Any help in this arena would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Holy crap #41...maybe your dealer moves a lot of cars!

I think given your position you have no alternative but to wait until you know what allocation you fall into (#2, #3???). When once he's cleared some of the other orders out you can start bugging the dealer more. For now I'd just show my face every once and while (or e-mail) so they know you're still around.

The order updates were for the first 1000 people (a special case). Normal allocation orders do have to go through the dealers for status updates.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - I know it seems insane! Their original guess was second allocation (of course they also told me that would be delivered around August! :smash: ) But I will keep trying as you suggested mceb - thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Keep bugging your dealer. Or better yet, assuming that it is a larger dealership, find out whos job it is to place and track orders. Call him/her directly. Salespeople tend to forget about you once the sale is made.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
SD SOL said:
Yes - I know it seems insane! Their original guess was second allocation (of course they also told me that would be delivered around August! :smash: ) But I will keep trying as you suggested mceb - thanks!
:lol: August for #41! Sorry, but I had to laugh. My dealer is one of the larger here in Houston and he is ONLY getting 7 Sols in his first quarter allotment. That means that buyer #8 is waiting until 2006 FOR SURE! He has 50+ people on his "order" list and does not expect to deliver 2006 model Sols to all of them!

Sounds like your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about, or he is just stringing you along. I hope it is the first choice, then at least he is honest.

I would suggest going to another dealer and asking their position. As has been stated and proven in other threads, you can find a HUGE difference between dealers. Try small dealers in quiet towns, they may be better positioned with less demand.
JMHO

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You really need to find out how many cars your dealer has in his first allocation. That will give you some idea of what to expect. If he is getting 15-20, you will probably fall into the third allocation, but if he's only getting 5-10, you could be out of luck for this model year. I'm sure the allocations may be different for each quarter, but they will most likely be in the same ballpark. The fact that he is a California dealer near a large city makes me think he could have a fairly large allocation and you may be in pretty good shape (though obviously not first allocation).

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Also keep in mind some of those 41 could drop out. Between deliveries and dropouts you could move up.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm certainly not an insider, but if you are #41 on anyone's list - you should be looking for another dealer. :willy:

It may be too late to find someone (close) with any first allocation slots available :( but unless this is one of the largest dealers in the country - I'd guess you are in the third allocation at best. Based on what we have heard from most dealers, you'd be in allocation #5 or #6 - that's spring 2007!

To make it easier, go to a site like edmunds.com and let them find you a dealer - though a little leg work (finding those out-of-the-way dealers) would probably yield better results.

Good-Luck ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting a real bad feeling about this...
I couldn't get a hold of the fleet manager to see what the hold up is with my order. However, the salesperson I talked to said "Oh gee - I think they said we were getting 5 in our first allocation, but I'm not sure."

FIVE!!!! Are you friggin' kidding me??!!?!! :willy:

If people in this forum are knowledgeble enough to realize that a 1st allocation of five probably put's me out of the running, why are they still trying to tell me that as #41 mine will probably be in by October?! Are these people high, crooked or just dumb? :brentil:

I blame all the sun out here - it must have fried their brains :cool:

"no worries dude...surf's up, uh-hah"

I'll try and catch the manager tomorrow and see what he says before I completely blow a gasket. Thanks all!

·
Registered
120 Posts
edmunds dealer

went on Edmunds and asked for a local dealer to contact me just to see what is being offered. Got an Email indicating that a dealer could find me a car in a couple days. Sent in my requirements and a second Email stating a price below the $19,995.00 base price because of "rebates"?. I responded with a question about his initial allocation, no answer yet. "REBATE"?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll tell ya, I'd be willing to fly to Nebraska (or wherever!) if I thought I could be guaranteed a car in the first or second allocation!

Anybody out there got the hook-up that could help me out?

·
Registered
139 Posts
just be ready to pounce on a slightly used one. people will buy these up and then decide its just not right for them. im sure youll be able to find a few up for sale with less than 3k on them...

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
SD SOL said:
I'll tell ya, I'd be willing to fly to Nebraska (or wherever!) if I thought I could be guaranteed a car in the first or second allocation!

Anybody out there got the hook-up that could help me out?
I recall that just a couple of weeks ago, there was a dealer in Austin, TX and another one in Latrobe, PA who both had 3 slots of their 4 first-allocation cars left. You might want to try calling the dealers in those areas and check their status.

Keep in mind that GM has a "courtesy delivery" program which would allow you to order through one dealer and have it delivered to one closer to home. That way, you wouldn't have to actually travel forever to pick it up.

Also, your dealer may have a rather large allocation. I can't imagine that dealers in the San Diego area would be getting only 5 cars. The person you talked to may have gotten mixed up by the 5-car limit that was placed on EOP cars. A number of dealers screwed that up for a while, so you may have gotten somebody who wasn't up to speed. Check with the manager. And let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey everyone, please humor me for a moment....

I'm doing the math and either I can't add or I'm missing something here:

1st year production is 20,000 units

Pontiac claims to have 9,000 +/- orders in house

That being the case, would not new orders and certainly SD Sol's order fall into the second half of the production run which in my calculations would be spring 2006???

Is it because of the allocation situation with each dealer. If so, I would think that SD Sol could find a dealer out there that should be able to get him a car in 2006

Please tell me where I'm missing something! :willy:
:cool:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The Mayor said:

That being the case, would not new orders and certainly SD Sol's order fall into the second half of the production run which in my calculations would be spring 2006???

Is it because of the allocation situation with each dealer. If so, I would think that SD Sol could find a dealer out there that should be able to get him a car in 2006

I'm not sure how your math is off, or not, but... My dealer has FAR MORE "orders" than allocation for all of the model year that he has been given. I suspect that this is true for other dealers as well. I suspect that the 9,000 number is low. I suspect it represents only orders put into the starts of the order system and there are many more in the wings.

My dealer has only put in those that he has allocation numbers for so far.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah ... the numbers are a bit confusing. I thought they were only taking orders to fill up their first allocation slots and making a waitlist for the rest of their customers. But if they've taken over 9000 orders (I heard the same thing), either they are already putting second allocation orders into the system or each of the following four-month allocations is going to be much less than their first allocation. Unless they're actually planning on producing 27,000 cars for the year instead of 20,000. I dunno ... I'd be interested in getting to the bottom of it too.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
More interesting math

There are 8 or 9 Pontiac dealers here in the houston "area", it seems that conversation among them shows that most are getting ONE car in the first shipment of their first allocation and only a couple are getting 2!!

So, if I do the math right... Any one who gets an EOP, or #1 in First Allocation, will have a VERY rare and unique ride for a good period of time!

I wonder how much I can charge for a ride? :lol: Take it to the beach and make my monthly payment in one days cruising! (bikini discounts DO apply.) :yesnod: Sort of redefines "cruising for cash"

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Actually, the numbers are quite bleak...

The Mayor said:

Let's look at this with some subtraction and division....

First, the subtraction:
20,000 units minus 2000 units for Canada* = 18,000 for the US

* see Link to: Canadian production numbers
Now the division:
18,000 units / 2800 U.S. dealerships = 6.428571 average units per dealership
[for Model Year 2006 (2005-06-01/2006-05-31)]

Obviously some will get more, some will get less, a few may get none.
Now, more division:
6.4 average units for Model Year 2006 / 2 = 3.2 average units for calendar year 2005
[period 2005-06-01/2005-12-31]​
Summary:
If you're #41, you have only a remote chance to get a car.​
Detailed Discussion:
Let's say you're a large dealer, (one in Pasadena that I know had 7 units for the 1st four month period), and there are three 4 month periods for the model year...
7 * 3 = 21 units for Model Year 2006​
The way that I see it, if you really are #41, you're waiting in vain.​
What to do?
Start calling dealerships. Ask to speak to the fleet manager, and the following questions should be put:
  1. How many units do you have for your first 4 month allocation?
  2. How many of those do you not already have allocated to customer orders?
  3. Will you sell at MSRP?
Keep calling until you've reached at least two, preferably 3 dealers with cars available and willing to sell at MSRP.

Then get your MSRP price in writing. The deposit agreement is the best place to record the MSRP agreement. [see link to "Deposit Acceptance Agreement".]

Also, contact GTOJ by PM and see how many folks he has on his waiting list for his 2nd four month allocation. Then order a car with the California smog package and have it courtesy delivered to a different dealership than the one at which you are #41.

Inaction will mean you probably won't drive a Solstice, no matter how patient you are.​
Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts