Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST SPENT THE AFTERNOON POLISHING MY RED SOL. 1145

I just found the old article. Consumer Report. May 2000.

I have used this product for years. $5.98 at Walmart.

The info might be outdated, But the RED looks real nice.

Nice and slippery. It is supposed to last for months.

Now that is is Polished up real nice, Could someone recomend a a good spray detailer, that would keep up the shine with a spray and wipe.?

Back in 2000 it was a turtle wax spray. Anything better out there that shines nice with a quick spray and wipe. Mitch :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
MITCH said:

Now that is is Polished up real nice, Could someone recomend a a good spray detailer, that would keep up the shine with a spray and wipe.?

Back in 2000 it was a turtle wax spray. Anything better out there that shines nice with a quick spray and wipe. Mitch :)
They say zaino is the best, you can buy it on line, thats what I'm going to try.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I looked at Meguiar's tonight and instead opted for Dupont branded spray detail wax with Teflon. I was actually looking for Meguiar's #7 polish as I have been using up a bottle of it with great success on powdercoated farm tractors (yes they need to look pretty one time at least) The advantage for me of it is its claim to be paintable. I have used AstroSHield polish forever and this past year used NuFinish and was happy with the results although for apolish Astroshield is the easiest to apply and buff other than the new Armorall wax as you dry gel. That has been a timesaver this summer. In fact it works so well at bringing out the luster of dark paint ("deep" GTP) that friends of my wife thought she got a new car. The reasoning is tha tyou are going to hand dry your car anyway after washing so why not wax as you dry. I have also been happy with EagleOne spray deatailing as well as a similar ArmorAll product.

Don't forget the tires once you are done and foam applications are better than pure liquid. And your wheels whether painted, polished or chromed need an application of wax as well.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
deluke said:
They say zaino is the best, you can buy it on line, thats what I'm going to try.
I did the Zaino treatment on my car last Wednesday, including the use of a clay bar. The whole process took 5 hours, but I'm so glad I did it - it makes this amazing car look spectacular!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Best Quick Spray Detailer......

MITCH said:

Meguiar's works best for me...... :yesnod:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I've used Nu Finish in the past, and like it because it is easy to use. However, it is not my first choice on my red Fiero.

I like Meguires Gold Class for the red. It seems to last longer than the Nu Finish, and it gives it a deeper shine. But it is more of a pain to take off than Nu Finish too. I am yet to try Zaino, but I plan ongiving it a shot in the spring with all the positive comments about it on here.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
SolsticeWaiting said:
I did the Zaino treatment on my car last Wednesday, including the use of a clay bar. The whole process took 5 hours, but I'm so glad I did it - it makes this amazing car look spectacular!
Everytime I see anyone mention the clay bar... the first thing that comes to my mind is:

"You have to go over every square inch of your car with that tiny little thing? That would take forever.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortimir said:
Everytime I see anyone mention the clay bar... the first thing that comes to my mind is:

"You have to go over every square inch of your car with that tiny little thing? That would take forever.
:lol: Yeah, for me it brings back the nightmares of wetsanding between coats of paint. Very labor and time intensive!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Fortimir said:

All the more reason to buy the smallest car possible, with a fabric roof! :lol: If you think it would be a lot of work going over a Solstice with that little piece of clay, imagine how much work and time it would take to clay bar all 200 inches of a new Charger! :eek:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fortimir said:

Several years ago I got the idea that I should use a clay bar on the Eldorado. I loved the results, but the length of time it took on that ol' girl felt like I'd passed two birthdays before I was done. It took seemingly forever. Does it work wonders? You bet it does. In the end it was all worth it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mitch - you are asking about detailers,,,,,,,,go with Meguiar's Quik-Detailer sold just about everywhere,,or if you want their best detailer, buy Meguiar's "Final Detail" > professional grade detailer. Final Detail comes in one gallon jugs, available for most auto body paint and supply stores or special order through Carquest Auto Parts stores. Part # D - 5101
Easy to use, works great, and smells good also, jmo.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Fformula88 said:
All the more reason to buy the smallest car possible, with a fabric roof! :lol: If you think it would be a lot of work going over a Solstice with that little piece of clay, imagine how much work and time it would take to clay bar all 200 inches of a new Charger! :eek:
In the spring I'm doing our Monte Carlo with the clay bar. It really needs it after 5 years I think. My husband got sapp from trees at work on it. Ane we can't get it off even after professional detailing.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I use Nu-Finish as a base and prefer it over all the others I've tried. I drive my Miata every day and Nu-Finish seems to hold up to the weather the best.

Normally in the spring I strip with Dawn and then claybar. Using a claybar on a car that has the paint maintained is easy and quick. I find that just using a good car wash product like Meguiars is enough lube and the claybar glides easily over the paint.

Then I use Meguiars Deep Crystal System Polish with my DA polisher followed by a coat of Nu-Finish (on/off with DA polisher).

If a special event is coming up I'll wash and then hit the car with a quick coat of Meguiars NXT.

Late fall I'll do another coat of Nu-Finish (by hand) because I do drive it all winter and I think it helps to protect better, with not being able to wash as much as really needed because of the cold temps.

If were taking the a long trip I'll give the front bumper cover a quick coat of Nu-finish. Makes wiping the bugs off with detailing spray a lot easier.

In between washing I use a California Duster and Meguiars Quick Detailer.

It works for me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
SolsticeWaiting said:
:agree:

Spent most of the day Saturday applying Zaino and the dust doesn't cling to the car as badly. Living on a dirt road (1mile) stinks, but the view is worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts