Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a check engine light on my 2008 Solstice GXP and have tried 3 OBD 2 readers at Autozone and a $10,000 reader at my mechanics shop and they all power on but display a link error. My mechanic did some research and suggested disconnecting the radio fuse to see if it will read. I need to test this out. I did the below steps but it didn’t work. Any other ideas. Also, I’ve included a picture of the back of my OBD reader and I’m wondering if something supposed to be connected into the black connector circled in the picture? It looks like the black felt wires are coming from the connector in the picture but they are just behind it.

By the way this is what I did:

Problem OBCII display lights up, powered ok, says "communicating", but then comes back with "link error" ( my problem )
1- Remove bottom kick panel that covers the OBDII port under driver side. You need to remove three black snap in clips. A thin screwdriver may help. Once loosened a little, rock the clips out with your fingers so they do not get too damaged.
2- After examining the six front leads, and the panel off, you can examine the back of the OBDII port. Verify all the pins are seated from the rear of the plug.
3- Follow the six-wire bus back about six inches over by the steer column. Two wires branch off to a separate connector, then return ( taped) back to the bus wire. Physically verify this connection.
4- Under hood fuse box. Pull and inspect the following 15A fuses. In addition to checking if blown, clean the leads if necessary.

BCM 3 fuse #4
BCM 2 fuse #6
BCM fuse #7
DLC fuse # 29

Note:
Fuses may be next to empty sockets.
Be sure you check them one at a time and verify you put them back in the same location they came from before moving to the next..

5- Start vehicle. Plug in OBDII reader. OBDII reader should link now, and return with report. (Do not be surprised if it reports "clean" , ( no errors ) after the reset. My reset appeared to erase a code.
6- Shut off vehicle. Unplug OBDII reader. Rest 1 minute. Per reader instructions, plug in OBDII and retest with key fwd engine off.
7- All reading functions restored.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,319 Posts
Nothing gets connected there is that is taped to the wiring harness that runs to the DLC (Data Link Connector) (OBDII port) that connector is I believe the terminator resistor pack.

I had the exact same problem. where everything in the car was functioning as it should be but an OBD Scan tool would not connect, not even the GM Tech2 tool. I traced the problem down to one of the connectors that are beneath the under hood fuse box. There are 2 inline connectors there and when I would move the large connector the OBDII scan tool would start to work again.

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about fretting corrosion forming on the pins of the connectors. This corrosion can only be seen using a high powered magnifying glass. There is an app you can use on an android cell phone called Cozy Magnifier that will allow you to see the corrosion. I cleaned the pins and used dielectric grease on them to keep the corrosion from forming again. It has been fine since.

That is where I would start you investigation. It's a mess below that fuse box and it is easier to get to the clips if you pull the fender on the passenger side and also the wheelhouse liner. Then you can pull the rats nest of harnesses under there out far enough to allow you to get to the clips. the clips ate pinned to the bracket that holds the fuse box. I think the corrosion forms because of it proximity to the turbo ad the heating up and cooling down combined with humidity is what eventually causes it. My car is also a 2008 GXP. Disconnect both terminals on the battery and touch the ends of the terminal clamps together to discharge the electrical system in the car. Then use a brass wire brush and give the pins a good cleaning. You can use what is called "Tuner Cleaner" to help clean the oxidation and corrosion off. The put a dollop of dielectric grease on the female side of each pin.

If for some reason you need to know what the terminal pin part numbers are let me know I have them. I actually have enough pins to recrimp all of the pins on 3 sets of those 2 connectors so if you need new pins and seals I can send em to ya if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing gets connected there is that is taped to the wiring harness that runs to the DLC (Data Link Connector) (OBDII port) that connector is I believe the terminator resistor pack.

I had the exact same problem. where everything in the car was functioning as it should be but an OBD Scan tool would not connect, not even the GM Tech2 tool. I traced the problem down to one of the connectors that are beneath the under hood fuse box. There are 2 inline connectors there and when I would move the large connector the OBDII scan tool would start to work again.

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about fretting corrosion forming on the pins of the connectors. This corrosion can only be seen using a high powered magnifying glass. There is an app you can use on an android cell phone called Cozy Magnifier that will allow you to see the corrosion. I cleaned the pins and used dielectric grease on them to keep the corrosion from forming again. It has been fine since.

That is where I would start you investigation. It's a mess below that fuse box and it is easier to get to the clips if you pull the fender on the passenger side and also the wheelhouse liner. Then you can pull the rats nest of harnesses under there out far enough to allow you to get to the clips. the clips ate pinned to the bracket that holds the fuse box. I think the corrosion forms because of it proximity to the turbo ad the heating up and cooling down combined with humidity is what eventually causes it. My car is also a 2008 GXP. Disconnect both terminals on the battery and touch the ends of the terminal clamps together to discharge the electrical system in the car. Then use a brass wire brush and give the pins a good cleaning. You can use what is called "Tuner Cleaner" to help clean the oxidation and corrosion off. The put a dollop of dielectric grease on the female side of each pin.

If for some reason you need to know what the terminal pin part numbers are let me know I have them. I actually have enough pins to recrimp all of the pins on 3 sets of those 2 connectors so if you need new pins and seals I can send em to ya if needed.
Thank you so much for your time on this and generosity in this. I really appreciate this and will check it out, letting you know what I come up with.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,319 Posts
no worries m8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts