Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone believe this or do you think GM is just saying that as a worst case senario? I believe late June....if it is Oct, thats just stupid on GM's part because half the US cant drive it in the winter, Canada as well....O well, I just garage it if this is true.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It could be true. Based on the article in the news section of the forum, it sounds like GM is having a few last minute hickups they want to work the kinks out of before letting the cars get away.

I'd definately rather them get the cars right before releasing them then having a lot of lemons sitting in service bays.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Fformula88 said:
It could be true. Based on the article in the news section of the forum, it sounds like GM is having a few last minute hickups they want to work the kinks out of before letting the cars get away.

I'd definately rather them get the cars right before releasing them then having a lot of lemons sitting in service bays.
Same here, although it will kill me to wait till then especially since I told everyone at work I'd be driving one this summer, I'd rather have it perfected.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Adrenaline said:
Same here, although it will kill me to wait till then especially since I told everyone at work I'd be driving one this summer, I'd rather have it perfected.
It will kill me too! I was hoping to order one as soon as the initial rush died down so it was a little easier to get one. With the hoped for June release, I was hoping I could have it by late this year. However, this could push me off until next spring since it is just going to delay that rush, and dealers will gouge later. In a way that is ok, but the suspense will drive me insane!

On a good note, if these delays push my purchase into next year, maybe I will have better information on when the F/I car will be available.

:willy:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Could be a long hot summer for me if this is the case, gave my car with AC to my wife
so I could trade her's in on the solstice, I will be driving an AC-less truck till it comes in.

So I am hoping for July ( being a confirmed first 1000 person).

Think optimistically!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Not unlike BMW M1

Fformula88 said:

I'd definitely rather them get the cars right before releasing them then having a lot of lemons sitting in service bays.
In the 1970's, BMW wanted to build a small low volume production car to qualify for racing in certain production classes. That machine was the M1. They farmed out the construction to a smaller manufacturer, and when the finished products came back to Stuttgart, the BMW motto (translated partially into English) "We don't build any sheize" kicked in. They extensively reworked each car to meet quality standards and took a loss on every one sold.

I think that Pontiac is wise to delay the release--it is far easier to recover from a public impatient for the release of the product than to have it be denigrated by the press with headlines like "Solstice: Sunset on GM Quality".

They are smart not to follow the software industry trend of shipping a known faulty product early and patching it afterwards.

Me? I've waited this long, waiting a bit longer won't hurt that much. Even if I weren't in a State where the top could be put down right away, the car looks good with the top up too. With the top up, it looks like the sketches I made as a kid of the type of car I wanted to drive.:cool:

So, wait? YEAH! YOU BET! :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm waiting for the forced induction version, so the delay doesn't directly affect me. However, I have to confess that if GM is faced with the choice of delaying the release or sending out cars with quality control issues, I think they're better off delaying the release. It's not a good thing to happen, but it's the lesser of two evils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Worth the wait ...

since there is "no telling" when the solstice will arrive, and it was such a good buy, we are opting to purchase a Piaggio scooter for the summer. Less than 5k and goes 75+mph. Not the same thing, but not confining either.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The winter thing doesnt really bother me much in florida but I need the car by august because of college, unless I can find a cheap car to drive around. My car is selling this week so ill be carless for 4 months as is, but theres no way to be carless during college classes.

So GM, if you wait till after that you lost me as a customer and id imagine 1000's more because of relasing a car in the dead of winter.

Note: The car has been a go for awhile now I see no reason to run into delays now but who knows. If they do hit delays it just goes to show gm is not going to get out of the hole there in anytime soon. It also gives the new miata time to beat the solstice to the market which is not good for gm.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
By the time the cars are actually out SEMA will be here, and we'll get to hopefully see all kinds of new toys and such. I'm really disapointed though because I wante dto have the car for a while before SEMA and any toher GM F/I stuff was out. Get the chance to feel kinda special for a while. Now I fear I'll get the car in Oct maybe and right around the corner the Solstice GT will come, and I'll be like, well should I have waited?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
To quote a friend....

OINOIMD14U said:
Even if the new miata beets the solstice to delivery, its still ugly.
As another member observed, it's styled a bit like a bar of soap. [from the thread: Why a roadster? post by mceb] :leaving:

There was some follow-on discussion about the hood styling also. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I estimate that they will begin shipping towards the end of June. They can whip out cars quickly in those plants. Being a Michigander - I've see them produce cars quickly. I'm guessing that I'll be cruising around in mine by the beginning of July.

·
Registered
936 Posts
OINOIMD14U said:
Even if the new miata beets the solstice to delivery, its still ugly.
I was never in the market for the Miata. I have never liked it and thought it was way over priced. The roadster has never been my thing, I do like fast and sporty cars but the roadster was always too small. Pontiac has won me to that market because the Solstice is one awsome looking car and has to be fun.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Maybe they'll release a limited edition burnt orange with a green top and back lit grill in honor of when they finially make it to the showroom. :D Anyone feel like doing a chop? I'm still hoping for atleast an August release though.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
In the 1970's, BMW wanted to build a small low volume production car to qualify for racing in certain production classes. That machine was the M1. They farmed out the construction to a smaller manufacturer, and when the finished products came back to Stuttgart, the BMW motto (translated partially into English) "We don't build any sheize" kicked in. They extensively reworked each car to meet quality standards and took a loss on every one sold.

I think that Pontiac is wise to delay the release--it is far easier to recover from a public impatient for the release of the product than to have it be denigrated by the press with headlines like "Solstice: Sunset on GM Quality".

They are smart not to follow the software industry trend of shipping a known faulty product early and patching it afterwards.

Me? I've waited this long, waiting a bit longer won't hurt that much. Even if I weren't in a State where the top could be put down right away, the car looks good with the top up too. With the top up, it looks like the sketches I made as a kid of the type of car I wanted to drive.:cool:

So, wait? YEAH! YOU BET! :)
Its good that BMW went over them to make sure the quality was up to standard, but it must have been tough to stomach the losses.

I am not sure anything would haunt GM more than the fear of a quality problem with the Solstice that ruins its reputation. The headline would read "Solstice: the next Fiero" :brentil: (I can say that, I am a Fiero adict!) ;) The Fiero is a good example of how they let the product hit the streets before working the bugs out, and the resulting teething problems ruined the cars reputation for good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts