Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started hearing what could be described as a low-note horn in the distance, like a P/U truck 1/4 mile away, and the DIC showed 'CHECK FUEL CAP'. It seems the two are related, and I'm guessing something in the EVAP test control system is leaking. I just can't determine the source, as the sound doesn't seem to have a source. Could it be a leaking gas cap seal, the purge valve, or ???

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
could be the evap canister up on top of the tank and below the floor of the hump in the trunk... Do you have a habit of trying to shove all the gas you can into the tank? This is a HUGE no-no on any fuel injected vehicle!!! Just take the gas pump up to the first shut off and don't do anymore...ever.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
That code is associated with a vacuum leak, and not a clogged evap canister, and the sound is symptomatic of a loose fitting, split hose, or failed solenoid.

When do you hear the noise? If you hear it at idle you can use it to track the leak.

It will either be in the area of the intake, the fuel tank, or the hose that connects them.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sound comes when driving at a low enough speed I can hear it, not at idle. The manual says it is tested withing 10 minutes of a cold start, and I do hear the sound after a few minutes of leaving my garage, or after the car sits on a cool lot long enough to cool off. The test is run by applying a vacuum to the evap system through the purge valve at the back of the engine. The vacuum relief valve in the fuel cap could be opening early, which would be why it says to check the cap on the DIC. I put the original fuel cap back on, to see if it goes away, as I was using a Stant lockable type. I'm just trying to find out what else can make that sound, so I don't uncover the Temple without cause.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Anything that prvents the tank from holding vacuum will cause that message, a loose gas cap is the simplest to fix and the most common culprit, so it gets the most attention.

You may have to time things so that you can be standing next to the car when it happens to get a better idea of the source.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
You might try the old screwdriver trick. Start the car cold and stick a screwdriver against the mayan temple while the car is still in fast idle, put your ear to the screwdriver handle and see if you can hear anything unusual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts