Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I know many will say to go with an aftermarket radio, but I want to stay with the stock/OEM looking radio. I want to add a USB radio to be able to play music (and charge) an iPhone/iPod. I have done a lot of searching on this site, other kappa sites, and general googling. I have one last question, and can't find the answer -- so I'm hoping someone here might know.

I have a 2009 Solstice GXP with Monsoon. My wife has a 2012 Chevy Captiva CUV. The OEM Captiva radio has a USB port, as well as what appears to be a similar audio system with separate factory subwoofer. The Captiva radio has the "right" gray face plate to match the waterfall in my GXP. I know I'll have to mount the USB port somewhere (glovebox), but is there any reason that a new Captiva radio won't work in my GXP? I know the backlighting is green/blue at night and not Pontiac's red/orange.

I've looked at G6 USB radios, but they've all had black faceplates. I'm not as daring or creative as some of you who have disassembled your radios to change the faceplates! ?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hi everyone,
I know many will say to go with an aftermarket radio, but I want to stay with the stock/OEM looking radio. I want to add a USB radio to be able to play music (and charge) an iPhone/iPod. I have done a lot of searching on this site, other kappa sites, and general googling. I have one last question, and can't find the answer -- so I'm hoping someone here might know.

I have a 2009 Solstice GXP with Monsoon. My wife has a 2012 Chevy Captiva CUV. The OEM Captiva radio has a USB port, as well as what appears to be a similar audio system with separate factory subwoofer. The Captiva radio has the "right" gray face plate to match the waterfall in my GXP. I know I'll have to mount the USB port somewhere (glovebox), but is there any reason that a new Captiva radio won't work in my GXP? I know the backlighting is green/blue at night and not Pontiac's red/orange.

I've looked at G6 USB radios, but they've all had black faceplates. I'm not as daring or creative as some of you who have disassembled your radios to change the faceplates! ?

Thank you!
Well, it might well work. I would even go far as to say probably will, provided the faceplates look the same and the connectors on the back are the same. Of course, a used radio will have to be programmed at a dealer to reset the anti-theft from the donor car.

As for replacing the faceplate, if you can replace the radio, then you can replace the faceplate. It's only a couple of screws and then clips off/on. Then you have that matching button color as well as screen.

(I presume you've seen my faceplate replacement thread.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi TS,
Thanks for the response! Yes, I have seen your thread, and it's great. The Captiva radios are so plentiful (and relatively cheap), that I might have to give this a shot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RedOne, good link.

I also read somewhere that I should avoid the GM truck radios...so I was wondering if there is a technical reason for that, or just for esthetic or cost reasons? If it is due to a technical reason, then I wonder if the Captiva radio will suffer the same issue?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just checking to see how adding the USB turned out for you. I'm fine with the sound of my monsoon system I just miss having a USB for all of my music.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
67 Posts
I dont think this will work. GM since 2004 started using canbus controlled radios. What this means is that a radio does not turn on with accessory power anymore, it now looks for a specific data signal that the cars BCM outputs. If the data signal in the solstice is different from that in the Captiva, then that radio may not even power on. Whats worse, the pinouts in the captiva may be completely different. It is very much a possibilty it will feed back voltage to the BCM and damage it. I would not try this myself but its up to you. If you are looking for a radio with features that still looks pretty close to factory, kenwood makes one that looks close, pioneer has one as well.

Kenwood
DPX501BT | Receivers | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA
Pioneer
FH-X720BT - 2-DIN CD Receiver with MIXTRAX®, Bluetooth®, Siri® Eyes Free, USB Playback, Pandora®, Android™ Music Support, and Color Customization | Pioneer Electronics USA

Generally the dash kits are black so even though you have a gray dash, the color works pretty well.

My radio installed, Better photo soon
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pontiac offered a USB AM/FM/SAT/CD radio w/ Aux input as an option on the Solstice in 2009.

I bought one through a Buick/GMC dealer who services my Coupe for ~ $350 and had them replace my original AM/FM/SAT/MULTI CD CHGR radio with it. Well worth having it done and keeping everything stock.

I am finishing the sound system off this winter with an all Infinity Reference Speaker Upgrade that includes replacing the 8" Subwoofer with an Infinity shallow mount 10" sub. Also investigating sound deadening the doors and back panel since I have to remove them in order to upgrade the speakers.

Lar Bear on the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" 5 spd GXP Coupe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts