Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
from looking at the photos...it appears the OEM tires are Goodyear Eagle RS-A's

taking a look at the tire reviews on tirerack.....many are complaining of hydroplaning and give the tire an average (good) overall rating....on the tire rack site....most stated they would not purchase this tire again....the tire receives an excellent rating for dry handling, cornering, steering, and ride comfort, but only good ratings....for all other characteristics.......overall rating 6.3 out of 10...highest tire rating in the category is 8.4 over all for high performance all season tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=35#Survey

so with that said...anyone going to replace the OEM tires when they get their solstice?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I probably am when the snow hits, which will probably be right when I get mine.

We'll see though, I have all-season BF Goodrich 15"s on my FWD Sunfire and I've never had any problems.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Replacing? You Bet! ASAP

Tire snob? I may be, but I loved the way my Grand Prix felt after I replaced orig. tires with the NASCAR tires (turned backwards - black car, didn't want to drive a bumble bee), I liked my Aerostar van with tiger paws, and it was good in all weather conditions. Maybe I'm not seeing it on the technical side of things, but I know when my firebird's (V-6) back end came around me on a wet day, I now compare the traction, handling and how it feels more than looks. A firend of a friend is looking into the best tire for me. He's a regional rep for GY, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WannaSolstice said:
Tire snob? I may be, but I loved the way my Grand Prix felt after I replaced orig. tires with the NASCAR tires (turned backwards - black car, didn't want to drive a bumble bee), I liked my Aerostar van with tiger paws, and it was good in all weather conditions. Maybe I'm not seeing it on the technical side of things, but I know when my firebird's (V-6) back end came around me on a wet day, I now compare the traction, handling and how it feels more than looks. A firend of a friend is looking into the best tire for me. He's a regional rep for GY, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.
let us know what he comes up with...I remember the same hydroplaning issue with my 99 Mustang GT, with OEM GY Eagles as well....Im currently riding on 17 inch Avon Tech 550 A/S....and am quite happy with them...abeit on a Malibu Maxx!!!! the tire is made in England...and is a sub of Cooper Tire here in the US......if my old memory serves me correct...they make them in a size to fit the solstice......sooooooooo

·
5,641 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd recommend the tires that were on the pre-production Solstice, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3. I replaced the Miata's OEMs with these from the TireRack based on their wet performance. While they gave up a small bit to the competitors in the dry, they were almost as good in the wet. All the competitor's tires didn't fare so well in the wet.

Now, the OEM tires I had to compare to were horrible all-season Bridgestones. Needless to say, going from all-seasons to summer tires was like night and day. The car stopped squealing when making sharp turns at 50 mph. The rain performance was as advertised, less than dry, but better than the OEMs were dry.

Long treadlife rating, too, even when compared to the OEMs (better than the competition in the test on TireRack too).

No doubt, I will buy these tires again. One thing to note for all you northern staters, summer tires don't work in snow. AT ALL. Nada. I've been stuck on fairly well treated snow with no traction (freak snow storms both times). You'll need spare rims and winter tires for the snow months if this is to be a daily driver.

Tony

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd recommend waiting to see how you like these tires on this car before shelling out big money for another set. These big 18's are not going to be cheap to replace, and if the OEM tires are satisfactory (even if not the best choice) it still may be worth sticking with them for a while.

What has GM been saying for a lateral grip figure, .90g? That is pretty darn good for an all-season performance. I can only imagine what it would be with a stickier tire! I bet the car is amazing on those Goodyear F1 GS-D3's!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Michelin PS2

PAO said:
from looking at the photos...it appears the OEM tires are Goodyear Eagle RS-A's

taking a look at the tire reviews on tirerack.....many are complaining of hydroplaning and give the tire an average (good) overall rating....on the tire rack site....most stated they would not purchase this tire again....the tire receives an excellent rating for dry handling, cornering, steering, and ride comfort, but only good ratings....for all other characteristics.......overall rating 6.3 out of 10...highest tire rating in the category is 8.4 over all for high performance all season tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=35#Survey

so with that said...anyone going to replace the OEM tires when they get their solstice?
While I'll loose about 0.45 inches of ground clearance, I would consider the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 in the 245/40R18 97Y. They are great for the track and the street.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tnum=44YR8SPORTPS2XL&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

I have a set now (different size, obviously), and while they are not cheap, they work very well. Their wet traction is also very good because of the wide and deep groves in the tread and the softer compound on the inside edges.

They are NOT going to work at all in snow, but how often are you going to take the Solstice out on snow anyway? The low ground clearance means you have to wait for the plow to scrape it down to the pavement anyway, and if you really must, get a set of snow tires for the winter and be sure to wash the salt out of your fender wells frequently.

The PS2's are not directional, so when you go to rotate them, you can use (and Michelin recommends) a cross pattern: back tires straight up to the front, front tires crossed to the back. To do this with my Pilot Exalto's, I had to have them remounted and rebalanced (not a bad thing, but not something you can do in your car port ;)). Michelin also recommends rotating them every 3000 miles, so when you change your oil, get out the torque wrench.

I've been using the PS2's up at the track--they are very competitive and are holding up well with 4 track days so far on my current set and about 2/3 of the tread depth left. The previous set had about 6 track days on them and still had about 1/2 of the tread depth.

Interesting story, the Road hazard warranty is well worth it. There's a full coverage replacement for the first 12 months. I never imagined I'd need it, but I had 3 replaced at 100% road hazard coverage (including shipping) due to a pot hole (bruised front and rear on right side) and some metal debris on the fwy (left rear while on the FWY about 1 week later while I was waiting for the shipment of the replacement tires).

For the street, they are quiet. And run smoothly.

When you have them mounted, ask the tire guy to "dry mount" them. It's more work for them, but the soap that they use tends to encourage the tire to rotate around the rim under the extreme grip conditions of braking that are possible with this tire on the track. (The grip is sufficient to move the tire relative to the rim while on the track, and this will make them slightly out of balance by the end of the weekend)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Just an FYI for first time sportscar buyers. Choose your replacement tires carefully. Be sure they fit you needs and wallet.

Max performance tires are great fun but that grip comes at the expense of wear. Tires with a wear rating of 200 and below can be worn out in as little as 12K-15K miles. At around $200 a pop in Solstice sizes, that can be expensive driving.

I've got a little over 25K on my Miata and I've gone through a set of Azenis Sports and finishing up a set of Kumho MX's now. :thumbs:

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 have a better wear rating at 280 and I expect they will last in the 20-23K mile range.

Just don't expect performance tires to last 40K miles. Budget accordingly.

·
Registered
905 Posts
What's the point of having a car like this if you're not going to experience it to the fullest? Like someone said a while back, you can take your Solstice with you when you go.

I'm not saying go buy $500 McLaren F1 tires, but buy what you want based on what you want from the car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Experiencing the car to it's fullest is great, but if your on a budget and don't want to spend $1500 on new super sticky Z rated rubber every 15K miles (which for me would be about every 9 months) it may simply be more practical to keep the stock tires from a monetary standpoint.

Plus, who is to say anyone would even feel the car was in need of stickier tires anyway. People have been blown away with the initial drives, the car supposedly gets .90g ont he skidpad, and all that on the RS-A's. For 95% of buyers, the RS-A's are probably more tire than they will ever really need on the street.

One other point, GM engineers have spent at least the better part of the last 15 months (since the test mule articles from England) fine tuning the suspension of this car to work with the RS-A tires to achieve a great balance of ride and handling. A stickier tire would increase lateral acceleration, and may provide other benefits, but chances are there would be a trade-off in the ride quality too.

The RS-A's probably won't be for everyone. Especially people who want to use their Sol in competition. For everyone else, it may be just fine.

In the end, everyone has to make their own call based on how they use the car, how they expect it to perform, and how deep their wallett goes.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. GM should have offered an optional summer-only tire for these cars. On the G6 GTP, stepping up from 18 inch all seasons to 18 inch summer-only performance tires is only a $150 option. The Sol could have (and should have) been offered with the same choice.

I bet the GXP has performance tires! :devil:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yup, tread wear numbers are there to help you budget!

LBJay said:
Just an FYI for first time sportscar buyers. Choose your replacement tires carefully. Be sure they fit you needs and wallet.

Max performance tires are great fun but that grip comes at the expense of wear. Tires with a wear rating of 200 and below can be worn out in as little as 12K-15K miles. At around $200 a pop in Solstice sizes, that can be expensive driving.

I've got a little over 25K on my Miata and I've gone through a set of Azenis Sports and finishing up a set of Kumho MX's now. :thumbs:

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 have a better wear rating at 280 and I expect they will last in the 20-23K mile range.

:agree: Precisely! Also, if you keep your tire pressures up to spec, you can get very close to the tread wear numbers. The PS2's are a tread wear 220. "Long life" tires can have tread wear numbers up in the 400 range, but you get what you pay for. That harder compound used to resist wear means substantially less grip. While the relationship is not one to one, the 500 tread wear tire will probably have about 60% of the grip of sticky softer compound tires. (Your cornering force could be as low as 0.7 g).

All engineering systems are a set of compromises. It's like that old triangle inequality (to mangle a phrase from mathematics): You can optimize for:
  • Cost
  • Speed of production
  • Quality and performance
pick any two.

In the case of tires, as LBJay says, replacement intervals MUST figure in your budgeting. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
In the case of tires, as LBJay says, replacement intervals MUST figure in your budgeting. :yesnod:
I just wanted to give a heads up to new people to be careful who they take advice from.

From time to time a club member will comment that they read Brand X is the best tire on a Miata. But they're complaining to me that it only lasted 25 K miles. They think all tires should last 40-50K miles. :rolleyes:

My tires run $80-$100 ea, at $200 ea I might have different thoughts on what's the best tire (or at least my wife would ;) )

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Also pay attention to what kiljoy said some of these high-perf tires and snow. Trade-offs might be fine if you are south or stow your car for the winter but in the snow they can't go :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
LBJay said:

LBJay has some made great points.

Some of the feedback on Tirerack about the F1 GS-D3's had been very negative when in comes to the sidewall being mushy on cornering. Im concerned about that issue as I think much of my performance will be related to cornering rather then standing starts (traction) or prolonged romps at speed (like needing a Z speed rating) in the non-track driving I'll be doing mostly.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think I'm going to pick up a set of the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires. This car will be my daily driver all year round. With Superior ratings on most items, and Excellent on Snow Traction and Tread Wear, this looks like a good investment for me. Especially at $210 per tire.

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S

·
Registered
292 Posts
All you people getting rid of perfectly good NEW tires, I'll gladly pay the shipping if you would like to send them to me. :lol: At $200 dolars a tire mine will look like racing slicks before I replace them. :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.