Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some dick head smacked his #%+> door into my passenger door below the mirror. So I'm going to the body shop tomorrow and see what the cost is going to be to fix. It just amazes me how people just do not give a sh$&t about other people's property.:cuss::cryin:

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Sorry to learn of yet another case of idiots in the parking lot.

We had a similar event with my wife's Sky. They did PDR and the small dent came out nicely. I have to buff the paint to make it totally disappear however.

Your challenge is that the silver paint will be a bitch to match perfectly.

Best of luck.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I haven't had that problem yet with my SKY, but did with the family sedan. I paid $175 to have door dings taken out (paintless dent repair), and a month later there was a new one in the same spot.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Exactly why I invested in these magnetic door guards.

Also some magnetic that appear to look more OEM (scroll down to blue vehicle).
Accessories for the Porsche Boxster and Carrera by Roadster Solutions

This product is super anal retentive but it appears to be marketed toward folks who fear dings happening while in their own garage.

The pessimist in me says any product you use that may bring unwanted attention the more chances someone will intentionally damage your vehicle, the optimist in me says $hit happens.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Those look pretty interesting.

I could never get my wife to use one when she goes shopping which is the time of greatest risk.

I would love a pair to use in the garage to prevent the two cars hitting each other when in close proximity.

I am fortunate in that I have my own parking place at work between a Merc and a Porsche. They are worried about me LOL.

I seldom take the Punisher to a public parking lot but when I must, I try to get into a space that has one side closed by a curb or wall and then move it as close as possible to the outside. I also park at a slight angle, with the rear of the car pointing slightly to the left, away from the curb. When people do drive into a parking space they will try to stay a "safe" distance away from the adjacent car. If the car is at a slight angle, I can buy another 3-4 inches of safe space should someone park next to me. Most of the time I get no one parking next to me at all.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I used to have something like that (used suction cups instead of magnets), but some @#[email protected]# stole it in a parking lot. Now I just automatically go for the farthest parking space out that I can. Beside, the extra exercise is good for my old fat a$$.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
One thing I don't care for on Door Shox is there is a theft deterrent strap, however I could see it causing damage by some AH trying to pull it out.

Anyway, here's hoping the OP gets his vehicle repaired, any chance for paintless dent repair? Been told by a few painters (read; not the person attempting to get your business) that silver is one of the hardest colors to color match.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
One thing I don't care for on Door Shox is there is a theft deterrent strap, however I could see it causing damage by some AH trying to pull it out.

Anyway, here's hoping the OP gets his vehicle repaired, any chance for paintless dent repair? Been told by a few painters (read; not the person attempting to get your business) that silver is one of the hardest colors to color match.
:agree::agree::agree:

Sadly I have seen more bad matches than good ones . .. :willy:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Last time I drove my Solstice over to Shreveport it got backed into. Don't have much luck with my car in that town.

Thanks to underground parking, mine still has a handful of door dings that need to be pulled. Seems every time I pick the most out of the way space, there is someone parked next to me when I come back. :cuss:

Hope you get it all fixed up and back on the road.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have a dental appointment today. Will go after I finished. Will let everyone know how much I be forking out.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I know, but when I got rear ended 2 years ago. They did a awesome job fixing and matching the color.
I wish I could, but they knocked it hard enought to expose the primer and metal surface.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
I know, but when I got rear ended 2 years ago. They did a awesome job fixing and matching the color.
I wish I could, but they knocked it hard enought to expose the primer and metal surface.
If you are taking it back to the same shop, then you are in good shape. If they matched it before, they can use the same paint code to match it again. Good news!

Metalics are very challenging to match. I took a set of wheels to be dipped and my painter gave the Punisher custom red to the graphics place. They could not match the color even using the same paint.

The rule of thumb is $500 a panel for removal, prep, paint, clear, polish and reinstall.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Twice, I've seen idiots smack my car with their doors. One of those times it was a guy with a family, and I could see his absolute remorse when he didn't get around to the rear passenger side before his kid did it. It made a mark, but I didn't bother to stop him and discuss it. The other time, I was parked a mile away from anywhere, and this guy opened his door and the wind caught it and smacked hard against mine. Another accident, but the guy didn't have to park right beside me. In this case, I chased him down ( as he saw it happened and tried to get away before anyone noticed), took all his insurance info and promised to make a claim. Once home, I buffed it out, and let it go. I was truly tempted to carry through though, as the guy was a true dick.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well folks, the total cost 1009.00. The dang dent is in the upper corner near the hood. They have to blend the door, hood and fender. Ugh my poor car.:cryin::(

·
Registered
731 Posts
Wow this has wanderd a little. Dropping off Monday.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts