Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If someone is stupid enough to want to buy one of these, there is a way to save a lot of money. I have seen things like this done before by individuals. All you have to do is buy a new 26,000lb gvw crew cab chassis with short frame rails, that should cost you about $40 to $50k, and put a discard 8' pickup bed on it. The pickup beds are easy to come by at truck body companies because people come in to get service bodies put on their trucks and leave the pickup bed behind. Those beds are an annoyance to the body companies, and so I would bet they would sell them cheap. The whole cost of the project, including time in the body shop, should be no more than $55k. A whole lot cheaper than the $98k Navistar is asking. If you start with a used chassis, you could build one for less than $20k.

The used option would be very good choice because once you find out that it won't fit in your garage, it cracks your driveway, you can't legally drive it on numurous streets and highways without a trip permit, you have to go through weight stations, you'll need a intrastate motor carrier permit, a interstate motor carrier permit and a interstate fuel tax agreement permit if you plan to leave your state, it's actually useless for hauling anything, your friends have all seen it, and the novellty of not being able to park it any where near where you want to be wears off, you'll be looking to sell it quick.

You'll take a beating when you go to sell it because a short frame crew cab isn't very useful to anyone, but at least it won't be the beating that the folks who buy one from Navistar will be. Navistar says they're only looking for about 50 rich fools to buy these, and in a country of 260 million, I would say that's a safe bet.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree Add to that, the bed looks too tall to be used to haul a fifth wheel (about the only rationalization you might use convince the wife). Went to high school with a kid that had his dad's old mobile home hauler with a pickup bed he'd mounted in back. It did stand out in the parking lot! But most of us wouldn't want to repeat the judgement calls we made in high school.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I just want to point out you posted this in the wrong off topic area. This is the off topic section dedicated to Solstice off topic discussions. The Off Topic:
General Off Topic would have been more appropriate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts