Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Who are you rooting for in the playoffs?

• Go Yankees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go Red Sox

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Go Cardinals

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Go Astros

• Whoever represents the AL in the series

• Whoever represents the NL in the series

• I am interested but have no rooting interest in any of these teams

• I do not care who wins

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would do a baseball playoff thread after Yellatec decided to show his allegiance to the Cards in his Avatar.

I love baseball, but as a die hard Cubs fan I am left suffering this October once again. They sure know how to fall apart at the worst times. :mad

I did a poll just for the fun of seeing who people are rooting for, if anyone. I don’t really have much of a rooting interest as I do not find any of the 4 remaining teams all that likeable. If I had to chose, I’d probably say Boston only because they are the AL equivalent to the Cubs, having suffered for as long as anyone can remember. I am just not crazy about them, and without Schilling I doubt they could come back in the ALCS much less win it all. But who knows.

Carlos Beltran for the Astros has been the most impressive player so far IMO. He hits everything out of the park. For someone with ok but not great career numbers, he sure looks like a terrific money player who shows up in big games. He’s going to get a huge contract this off season.

So does anyone thing Clemens and Oswalt can lead a Houston comeback (Yellatec hopes not! :smile )? Does Boston have a chance?

:lurk

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only thing Clemens and Oswalt can do is win their two games. Then Houston gets to throw the same crappy rotation at us again. Also Clemens hasn't been having very long starts, and unless I'm mistaken, the Cards have simply Blown up on Houston's Bullpen.

I must say that I think Beltran is impressive. he would be in the MVP balloting if he hadn't been a Half & Halfer. He missed the All-Star Game for the same reason this year. But like in the case of Sosa and Bonds, One man can't carry a team to or through the playoffs.

There isn't a team out there right now that is as Locked in or Fully Stacked as the Cardinals. 28 RBI's with 2 outs in the postseason says a lot. They are here to play and Here to Win. :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll certainly admit the Cards lineup is stocked, and they are hot right now too! Its going to be hard to slow them down, and nobody who is left in the playoffs has the kind of deep starting rotation I would expect is needed to keep the Cards bats quiet! I'd say they are the favorite to win it all right now (and I was saying it two weeks ago, a month ago, probably since the All-Star break). They have been virtually unbeatable.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Cards really have put their backs up against the wall now! Houston has been very tough at home down the stretch but the Cards needed to find a way to win one of those games. Can they pull the series out back in St Louis?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I will always think that they can. They broke out big time after Lima shut them out. I can only imagine that the same will be true today.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We’ll see this evening. Houston is starting one of their second tier starters, so the Cards certainly have a chance to jump on top early. However, I think they really need to get out to a lead early too. Houston’s offense has been going too well to let the game remain tied or even within a run or two for too many innings. My only disappointment with this series is that I have missed a couple games because Fox broadcasts the Yankees games instead in this area when they are both on at the same time, and we do not have an FSN station on our cable network to pick up the Cards/Stros games.

I am disappointed we haven’t turned up any Yankees or Red Sox fans. What an interesting series that turned into. The Red Sox go down 3-0. Schilling looks to hurt to pitch. The Yanks drive home their wins with a 19-8 pounding. Then all of a sudden the Yankee bats go silent and the Red Sox win two 5+ hour extra inning marathons, topped yesterday by an extremely gutsy performance by Schilling to win and force game 7. I think it’s the first time a team has forced a game 7 after going down 3-0 in baseball, and nobody has yet won a series in baseball after falling behind 3-0!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Too many Yankees fans around these parts...I'm pulling for the Sox to reverse the curse. Amazing come back being 3 down.

Looks like another night of reduced sleep as these games go past midnight :rolleyes but maybe history will unfold.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All I can say after last night's games, THE BEST two teams in Baseball will be in the World Series this year. No matter who wins of the Cards / Astros tonight. Both LCS going to 7 games? When did that happen last?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yellatec said:
All I can say after last night's games, THE BEST two teams in Baseball will be in the World Series this year. No matter who wins of the Cards / Astros tonight. Both LCS going to 7 games? When did that happen last?
Both LCS went 7 last year too! :thumbs

The Red Sox are in. Now, depending on how you look at it, they either pulled off the greatest comeback in baseball playoff history, or the Yankees managed the worst collapse in baseball playoff history. I am not sure which one feels better!

Yet, the Red Sox are 4 games away from reversing the curse. This comeback is great, but the real prize is still winning the series. With the way they have used their pitching staff it will be an uphill battle, but I wouldn’t count them out yet.

Jim Edmonds was a hero last night. I cannot figure out why Phil Garner didn’t bring in Oswalt right away instead of Miceli. Miceli had imploded in game 2 against the same batters in the Cardinals lineup he was brought in to face last night, and he managed the same result. A loss. Game 7 tonight, very exciting! I must say my money would be on Houston in this pitching matchup (Clemens vs Suppan) but I cannot count out St Louis. They have tons of bats, and they are tough to beat at home.

The only thing I am certain about is that it would be very painful for Boston to lose the series to Houston, and see Roger Clemens beat them in game 7! On the other hand, it would feel great if they could knock Clemens off in the series!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yellatec said:
YEEEEE Freakin' HAAAW!!!! :cheers
Congrats to you that the Cards made it to the series! They played a good series and hung in there after going down 2-0. Now its on to Boston! Can the Cardinals benefit from the curse? :smile

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I notice there are no Yankee fans here, oh wait, there's no point in owning a car if you live in New York City, so that makes sense.

My Dad, who passed away last year, was a lifetime Cardinal fan and LSU fan. First LSU gets a national title, now the Cardinals are looking good. I wonder if he is helping them somehow?

Anyway, I'll be pulling for the Cards. The curse is good for baseball. It would be boring without it.

Of course, there's always the Cubs I guess...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry your Cards lost Yelltec, but for me anyway its nice to see the Red Sox fans finally pull in a championship.

Since the Red Sox have finally beaten their curse, I have renewed hope that my Cubbies may someday beat their curse too! :smile In my lifetime hopefully! :thumbs

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am sorry that thr real 2004 Cards didn't show up for the World Series. THe national Media paid no attention to the Cards until this series, so you might not have seen too much of them all year, but they were soooo much better than that.

I take my hat of to Boston for being the better team in this series. Glad to have the Curse out of their excuse book too. :crazy

I look forward to next season when we can argue more about the Cubs / Cards rivalry. :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yellatec said:
I am sorry that thr real 2004 Cards didn't show up for the World Series. THe national Media paid no attention to the Cards until this series, so you might not have seen too much of them all year, but they were soooo much better than that.

I take my hat of to Boston for being the better team in this series. Glad to have the Curse out of their excuse book too. :crazy

I look forward to next season when we can argue more about the Cubs / Cards rivalry. :thumbs
Oh, I saw more of the Cardinals this year than I cared to! I subscribe to MLB extra innings on my cable system so I get as many Cubs games as possible. Otherwise I wouldn’t see hardly any Cubs games. Since I am in New York, we always get the Mets or Yankees on Fox during the season, and the Cubs only get a few ESPN games a year.

I totally agree that wasn’t the real Cardinals, but I don’t want to take away from Boston either. They shut down one of the best offenses in baseball for 4 games, and ripped apart what has been a very good pitching staff. It didn’t help the Cardinals that Carpenter wasn’t available, and I think it was a bad idea to use Morris in game two on short rest. He didn’t pitch well on the road this year either. But that’s 20-20 hindsight.

Now on to next year! What are the Cardinals chances of resigning some of their free agents? Renteria and Morris come to mind. I have heard some rumors they are interested in the Cubs Matt Clement. Not sure if that would be to replace Morris or not. The Cubs are not expected to resign Clement so St. Louis could easily be in the running.

It’ll be another fun year next year! I just hope the off season goes well!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah no one in STL wants Morris back. We have Harren, Ankiel, & Calero who could all easily fill Morris' spot. As far as Clement coming here, it would be fine with me as long as it doesn't take away from the money we need to get Renteria to come back. Hopefully we sign Matheny too. I think we have most everyone else locked up for at least one more year. Tis going to be fun for sure!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm betting the next time the Sox win a world series will be the next time a lunar eclipse coincides with the final game.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6309920/

Maybe that's just one little caveat or loophole in the curse. I'm happy for the Sox, but it's too bad that had to come at the cards' expense. Are the cards still getting a new ball park to replace Busch Stadium?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts