Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 965 Posts

·
Vendor
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say hello now that we are official (thanks brentil!). We would first like to say thank you to everyone that we have talked with on the phone or through emails, everyone has been very friendly and great to deal with, we definitely look forward to working with the Solstice/Sky community, and we thank everyone for their hospitality.

I have attached a FAQ since we keep getting a lot of the same questions, hopefully this will help everyone out:

What exactly does this kit entail?
The kit includes everything you need to install a M62 supercharger onto a Solstice/Sky. The supercharger, brackets, belt, hardware, filter, tubing, and ECM reflash. It is a complete bolt on kit, nothing else is needed to get the car up and running with more power.

How much power does the kit add?
The base non-intercooled kit is running a very safe 4.5psi and adds 45-50 HP and 45-50 Ft/lbs of torque. We will be developing an intercooler and anticipate 7-8psi and 240-250HP to the wheels intercooled.

How much does the kit cost?
The non-intercooled kits are $3295.

Can I install this at home?
Absolutely! The kit has been designed to be as easy as possible to install and really is a bolt on power solution.

What is the ET on installation if done by yourself?
If you have average mechanical skills it should take you between 6-8 hours. We have taken the kit off and put it back on in just a couple hours.

Will it come with detailed instructions?
We take pride in our instructions and the kit will include detailed instructions with lots of color pictures.

When will directions be available for viewing
They are available now here: http://www.ddmworks.com/instructions/supercharger_sol_sky_instructions.pdf

Will it work with an Automatic?
Yes

How long is the expected delivery time?
Delivery time is usually 4-6 weeks depending on options

Will this affect my factory warranty?
There is the Moss/Magnusson act that I would suggest looking up and reading concerning this. Basically it states that the burden of proof is on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part that you installed caused the factory part to fail. Here is a copy of the full act:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

another brief description:
http://elantragtclub.tripod.com/elantra/id177.html

I live in California and the highest gas I can get is 91, would my tuned be a problem?
Your tune will not be a problem, we can tune it for 91 and will have that tune available for California cars

Instead of powder coating my kit black can it be done in red?
Not a problem, we can have them powder coated what ever color you want. There would be a small fee, the cost is $75 for the color change, since our powder coater would have to do them separately.

Will these work with the clear image shorty headers?
The supercharger kit will not work with the clear image shorty headers; there are other headers in the works that will work with the supercharger from other manufacturers, including DDMWorks 4-1.

Is it 100% guaranteed to fit with the Clear Image long tube headers?
Yes, we have test fit on a car with the Clear image long tube headers and it fit, it will not fit with the clear image shorty headers.

Do I need to let you know what exhaust mods I have for configuring the air:fuel?
No, our reflash will adapt to the exhaust mods that you have on the car.

Does it come with a new computer or how does the computer get retuned?
There are a couple options here. Right now you can either send us your ECM, we will reflash it and send it back to you, or a couple of the first 10 are buying an extra ECM, having us reflash it and send it out with their kit.

Is the only color of the air filter that comes with it blue?
No, the kit will ship with a red K&N filter.

Is the supercharger a MP62?
Yes the supercharger is a MP62, not the older M62.

Does the kit include upgraded fuel injectors?
Yes, the kit does include upgraded fuel injectors and wiring harnesses. It is a very easy job to swap the injectors, just a couple bolts and there will be no splicing of wires, it will all be plug and play.

Can I have my runners powdercoated, chromed, polished, etc.?
Yes, we will be happy to do whatever you would like to customize your kit. Although there will be a charge for different colors, chroming, etc, and there may be a slight delay in shipping for the color change. Just contact us and we will let you know about pricing.

My ECM is locked by Vector, or some other tuner, what should I do?
We need to be supplied with a working, unlocked ECM to be able to reflash it for you. There are a couple of options. You can send your ECM to Vector and have them unlock it and then send it to us. We can send you a new ECM with our tune in it, and you can sell the Vector. Or you could buy an extra ECM and send it to us and we can send it back reflashed. We also found out that the Werks ECM is locked and needs to be sent to them for them to unlock it, before we can reprogram it.

Does the reflash for the supercharger have the same enhancements as the Vector?
This is a tricky question, the tunes are for 2 different set-ups. One is for a Naturally aspirated car and one is for a supercharged car, so it really is like comparing apples and oranges. There has been A LOT of work, time and money put into getting the tuning right on this setup and we have learned a lot about how to make forced induction work with the stock ECM, so I hope you understand that we are going to be a little quiet about what exactly we changed in the ECU programming. Needless to say the test car has great drivability and we expect that the production kits will have that same great drivability.

Will DDMWorks be offering a heat shield for the headers/ Will the factory heat shield work?
Yes, we will be offering a heat shield for aftermarket headers. If you are using the stock exhaust manifold, the stock heat shield can be modified to fit.

Will the supercharger cause me to use more gas?
During cruise and light throttle the supercharger has an internal bypass that allows the supercharger to use almost no horsepower, so during cruise and light throttle your fuel milege will be almost the same as stock. However, once you start doing lots of full throttle pulls, your gas mileage will go down. However we have found a direct inverse relationship between miles per gallon and smiles per gallon ;).

What headers fit with the DDMWorks DDM62 Supercharger?
The clear image long tube headers have been confirmed to fit the supercharger kit. The shorty headers from clear image will not fit. We have a prototype set of headers being shipped to us this week and will have some more information on those shortly. There is also another set of headers we know in the works that may or may not fit. We will keep everyone up to date on this as we learn what fits.We will get the dyno sheets up shortly for everyone that has been asking about them. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask them to us through email, or here on this thread and we will do our best to answer them and include them in the above questions.

Take Care,
Dave

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

All my questions were just answered and this makes me feel even better about deciding to go with your company. I will wait on the header and cat until I know for sure they work. I'm sure I could sell them for some decent money if they don't work. Who would I contact about getting the powdercoating done in red instead of black?? Should I call you or can you just change my order to red instead?? I love that it's coming with the red K&N too. When should I ship my ECM to you for the retune?? I can probably keep my car down for as much as 2 to maybe 3 weeks to get this all done :yesnod:

I CAN'T WAIT!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Welcome Dave!

As one of the first ten I think this thread is a great idea. It certainly will make it easier to have one source for information.

Jackknife

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hey Dave,

Welcome to the forum :grouphug:. A couple of questions....

1) In a post on the Sky forum, someone said the kit includes new injectors. I haven't seen any reference to that here or in any of our corespondence. Curious if new injectors are part of the kit or not.

2) If not, do they become necessary for the intercooled 7-8psi version.

3) I'm one of the ones that talked to you about the second ECM. I've had varying thoughts about that aspect. I have a Vector re-tune right now and love how the car is running. I'm wondering what exactly the kit re-tune touches. Would your flash be a complete overwrite. In another words, all of Vector's changes are wiped. If so, is that even an issue? Does your flash encompass essentially all of the goodies that are found in the Vector flash? Just curious if there's any advantage to having you flash my current ECM vs a new ECM. Hope this question makes sense.... kinda tough to explain.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Wow, lots of up-front information. Great introduction.:yesnod:

I don't know if there are aftermarket pullies available for the Sol...but it may need to be noted that any changes in pulley diameters may affect the amount of boost that the SC produces, and that the pulleys should most likely be returned to OEM before installing the SC.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Polished or chrome runners??

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
if you have a locked ECM

OK, I understand. But the question remains, what is DDM going to do?

Jackknife
if you have a locked ecm

there is NOT much ddm or ANYONE can do with a locked ecm !
only the person "locking it " can unlock it................

chris has said before contact him at his place of business - he doesn't read or keep up with every post or forum everyday !....YOU WOULD THINK HE READS HIS EMAILS ??? AND WILL BE HELPFUL ...LETS GIVE HIM BENEFIT OF DOUBT AND ASSUME ALL THE SUPPORTING VENDORS WILL. cooperate with everyone needing their ecm UNLOCKED !!!!!!!!
......i would think he just hasn't seen randy's email yet ....?.... i would hope he support randy !!!!!!!!!! and everyone here that chooses to go with a different tune !...... AND DIFFERENT VENDOR PROJECT ! ........ whether he or any other vendor charges to UNLOCK and return ecms to stock - thats the question ?

MY GUESS - and just guessing if not :brentil:

you will no doubt have to provide another "unlocked ecm" for the s/c tune to be programed onto, or any other products that may come out in the future !.........

A HARDSHIP AND EXPENSE THAT IS REALLY NOT FAIR OR NECESSARY considering how easy it is to UNLOCK -
making people buy another ecm or go thru the PITA doesn't make sense
( IE swap out your ecm with someone willing to trade or buy your "locked" ecm )

i really don't know the specific PIA of case relearning on both ends ?? that may or may not be an issue .......?????? the issue is simply unlocking a customers ecm leaves the other person willing to swap or buy the used one as a potential customer !.......not to mention a lil free good will to another vendors and old customers !!!!!!!!!

if you can NOT provide an unlocked ecm ? you won't have a choice other than
buy another ecm that is not locked -.... yuh might want to keep the locked tune anyway ....instead of throwing it away - erasing it !........ something to think about ??
i saved all kind of stuff i know i'll never need again ! and as long as i have it "saved " ...hahahaha i won't need it !.........but that ought to be the owners CHOICE!!!

common sense would lead one to believe just send your ecm back to where ever it was locked and have it UNLOCKED - put back to stock - SIMPLE !!! >>> NO HARM _ NO FOUL _ NO PROBLEM

if lifetime reflash for upgrades WAS INCLUDED - then returning it to stock SHOULD be included - you are upgrading right ?...lol..
if its NOT included - guess you'll pay a FEE to return it to stock - reflash back to original would still / should not be a problem

after all it was ONLY locked for THEIR benefit and protection -

( they did it to maintain secrecy of the specifics on their reflash - nobody can answer questions relative the DIFFERENCES ).........from the new flash or any tune !!! and the locked secret tune ...hahahaha ....its a secret !!...lol... they can only tell you what they choose to inform you about on the new tune / their tune......
good news is ----- the intent of the lock was never to hold you hostage - just to keep the receipe secret !!!
- no biggie can't be much of a charge involved !!!!!!!! shouldn't be ANY OTHER THAN MAYBE SHIPPING ?

choosing to UPGRADE AGAIN -purchase another VENDORS product is no reflection on the earlier flash or vendor - simply more and more options are and will be available as time goes on !

theres no reason for the initial tuner NOT to be willing to "unflash" or unlock it... a lil cooperration allowing you the freedom to "move on " should not be a big deal :lurk:

...contact YOUR TUNER ! >>>>>> once you get locked up - its HIS ecm.. :devil: .ask if you can have it back ...lol...:grouphug: ...

.. thats the great thing about sticking with "SUPPORTING VENDORS ".....
..... they are ((((((( HERE ))))) to support our goals and love for the car....... no reason NOT to expect them to support your decisions to move on - and go with another product now - they have their $$$$$....
.. its not like you are asking for a REFUND NOW !!! :lol: and for sure if you EVER want it back - ask NOW how much or if thats an option ...hahahaha.......... if lifetime is lifetime .....

its a 2 minute process i don't have a dog in this fight - simply sharing the fact that i have reflashed more times than i can count and it really is just 3o seconds to plug in and a TWO minute wait for the flash to finish............:yawn:
NUTSHELL
you shouldn't be forced to buy a new ecm if you WANT or NEED a different tune

BIG CONGRATS ON THE NEW KIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........... YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.......

.... WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST ON THIS NEW EXCITING OPTION !!! ITS EXCITING TO SEE MORE AND MORE PRODUCTS .....YAYYYYYYYYY SINCERE CONGRATULATIONS AND APPRECIATION FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK

AWESOME NEWS !................

·
Registered
501 Posts
Can you post some pic's of the componants (seperate and installed)...

Thanks....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Vector reflash

I just spoke to Chris at Vector (Thurs 7/12 9AM) about reflashing my ECM back to stock so DDM can work with it.

He said no problem, just send it in.

Jackknife

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Which is what you would expect to hear from him if you called him.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I just spoke to Chris at Vector (Thurs 7/12 9AM) about reflashing my ECM back to stock so DDM can work with it.

He said no problem, just send it in.

Jackknife
That is good news indeed, Jackknife. :yesnod:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Hello Everyone,
Will these work with the clear image shorty headers?
The supercharger kit will not work with the clear image shorty headers; there are other headers in the works that will work with the supercharger from other manufacturers, including DDMWorks.
Take Care,
Dave
Dave,

Can you give us an idea on a time frame and cost for these headers from DDM? Thanks!

--Chemist

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I have read that once you exceed about a 45rwhp gain on the 2.4 with the SC the injectors are at near a 100% duty cycle. How will you be addressing this as you increase boost to make more HP.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
OK, so I thought there were four injectors and four spark plugs. Is that right?? I thought the black things on the top of the engine were spark coils and the plugs were under them. Am I way off on this??

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
There are four injectors that are located on a fuel rail.....this fuel rail holds the injectors in the engine...it is bolted to the engine via two bolts. this system is located on the driver side of the engine just below the top valve cover. It is generally overlooked b/c of the wiring harnesses that run there.

The black things on top of the engine in the center of the valve covers are the coil pack/ plugs
Exactly what I was thinking. When you said top of the engine I thought you meant on top where the coils are.

·
Vendor
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello everyone,

I think SolGTP has been doing a good job of keeping everyone updated but here are some answers for everyone:

Is the supercharger a MP62?
Yes the supercharger is a MP62, not the older M62.

Does the kit include upgraded fuel injectors?
Yes, the kit does include upgraded fuel injectors and wiring harnesses. It is a very easy job to swap the injectors, just a couple bolts and there will be no splicing of wires, it will all be plug and play.

Can I have my runners powdercoated, chromed, polished, painted pink ;), etc.?
Yes, we will be happy to do whatever you would like to customize your kit. Although there will be a charge for different colors, chroming, etc, and there may be a slight delay in shipping for the color change. Just contact us and we will let you know about pricing.

My ECM is locked by Vector, or some other tuner, what should I do?
We need to be supplied with a working, unlocked ECM to be able to reflash it for you. There are a couple of options. You can send your ECM to Vector and have them unlock it and then send it to us. We can send you a new ECM with our tune in it, and you can sell the Vector. Or you could buy an extra ECM and send it to us and we can send it back reflashed.

Does the reflash for the supercharger have the same enhancements as the Vector?
This is a tricky question, the tunes are for 2 different set-ups. One is for a Naturally aspirated car and one is for a supercharged car, so it really is like comparing apples and oranges. There has been A LOT of work, time and money put into getting the tuning right on this setup and we have learned a lot about how to make forced induction work with the stock ECM, so I hope you understand that we are going to be a little quiet about what exactly we changed in the ECU programming. Needless to say the test car has great drivability and we expect that the production kits will have that same great drivability.

Hopefully that will catch up everyones questions. We are really busy right now getting everything up and rolling with this kit, but I will check in the morning and answer any other questions.

Thanks again for everyone's support on this.

Take Care,
Dave

·
Registered
691 Posts
Very nice response, Dave. I, for one, appreciate the effort.

Jackknife

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Very nice response, Dave. I, for one, appreciate the effort.

Jackknife
:agree: Thanks Dave, you have answered all my current questions ;). My questions about the re-tune vs Vector really became a moot point once I found out the Vector can't be re-tuned. I suspect I will get a new ECM from you depending on cost. That way, if for any reason, I want to pull the SC off, I will still have the Vector ECM and could sell the SC kit as a complete kit. Also, something to think about for any CA guys that may have to pull it off for smog tests/inspection :yesnod:.

Thanks for answering the injector question. I guess I'll be "breaking" into that sealed system huh :lol:. Sounds pretty simple though.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Dave,

When you get a moment, can you give us some idea as to time frame/cost on these new headers? I know I'll get a new ECM from you and will need the headers as well.

Thanks!

--Chemist

1 - 20 of 965 Posts