Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would share some great results form some products on my car, I drive a very twisty 12 miles through a Federal Forest on my way to and from work, it is a fantastic drive but it has it's issue's one is no place to pass if you get behind some nimrod in a mini van going under the speed limit and the other is DEER.

The other night on the way home it was dark and raining and I crested a hill at about 45 and dead in front of me was a damn deer just standing there. I hit the brakes and had no problems coming to a very controlled complete stop.

About a year ago I put Porterfield pads and SP slotted rotors on my car, I have very good Nitto 555 tires and light weight SSR wheels, the combo just works. I was so happy as this was the first time my life may have depended on them. The brakes are much better than stock and an easy upgrade, you can get them from DDM. These are my third set of tires, hated the stock GoodYears, I didn't like the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01's that were supposed to be so good in the rain, they sucked. I love the Nitto's they are all season tires and are great in wet and dry and not expensive. Thanks Discount Tire. I saw more deer the other day in the dry and the system worked flawlessly again in the dry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know the feeling! I saw several going to work this morning.The cool weather has them moving everywhere.I got almost to work and a doe was in the road in front of Brandsmart of all places.Poor girl had no where to go,and not sure how she ended up in town :(
Several mooshed in the road around my house

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I can identify. Deer, turkey, turtles and all kinds of creatures in my neighborhood. Feel a little more secure in the 3/4 ton pickup than the Sol if I'm driving to/from work, especially in the dark. Had the Sol on the road in the rain this past weekend (a definite rarity) and caught myself before getting too agressive in the turns due to A. - wet leaves everywhere on the pavement and B. - wildlife on the move.

Is it just me or does everyone encountering road kill lift their butts off the seat when they drive over it?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ironic

The You-tube phone call was too absurd.

Here's a picture I took that I labeled "IRONIC".

AND I'd hate to hit one in the Solstice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I came upon a deer in the Sol last fall. Was 4:30 PM, but overcast. We were on twisty hilly road. Deer came out of a right side gully on an uphill left hand turn, small deer, but it came across at an angle so I had time to react. Stomped on the brakes, swerved to the left. We matched speeds with the deer about a fraction of an inch in front of the car. Dam, I could see every muscle bulge on the deer as it accelerated across the road. We were so close we could not see the feet in front of the car. ESC helped a bit too! :) It had two ticks on its left rear leg too! They had orange spots on them!! Their eyes were as big as mine at the time... :)

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Hey king of the twisties! :cheers:

I was driving the other night with my daughter back from Charlottesville on 20. Great road btw. I kept telling her that I was watching for deer when all of a sudden this slow-a s s ed possum was crossing the road. Nobody was around so I did a quick swerve and missed him. I must have ESPN :)D) cuz I knew something was going to come out in the road. Smooth sailing after that. :)

Glad you were able to avoid the deer. :thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts