Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like you all had a great day on Sunday, hope to join you next year! I was just wondering if those who have driven without the front plates have run into any trouble so far? (I don't think I'll have the heart to put one on but just wondering how risky it is...)

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
none so far....

check the Z3's Z4's S2K's you'll see A LOT without plates on the front

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
At one point yesterday, we all drove by a Sheriff's car parked on the side.

He could have knocked off 5 of us in one swoop.

I met up with an owner of a new vette on saturday. The penalty is about $85 and its a non moving violation so it won't affect your insurance

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! Good to know. Meanwhile I'm patiently waiting and dreaming!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I haven't had a front plate on my cars in Ohio for 15 years. I've only been pulled over once and got a warning. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have friends and family that are Sheriffs and City Police, they said it would usually be State Police Officer that would pull you over for a front plate and usually that would be in addition to speed or used for a seat belt violation.

·
Registered
202 Posts
front plate

2900 miles and haven't been stopped yet-jen went for 5 years without a front plate on her grand prix and had no problems

·
Registered
316 Posts
1300 and no cops have seemed to even give me a second look.
I think the car is new enough the "waiting on the bracket" excuse would fly.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I have a GREAT excuse

of the two items in the trunk upon shipping (antenna & front plate bracket)
only 1 shipped

My plate bracket has been ordered (B/O'd ??) and no promise given

If needed I can get a note from my teacher (dealer ;) ) proving this

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wonder if there is any hope of changing the law here in NJ? We live near the PA border, so there is a mix of NJ & PA registered cars on the streets. PA does not require a front radar reflector, I mean license plate, and as far as I can tell, law enforcement doesn't seem to have a problem giving them their proportion of tickets. Nor have I heard of any problem with PA folks getting away with crimes because of the lack of a front license plate.

I was thinking of sending a picture of the Solstice to my State Assemblyman and Senator and asking them if they would put a front plate on such a car...

·
Registered
41 Posts
T-man said:
I wonder if there is any hope of changing the law here in NJ? We live near the PA border, so there is a mix of NJ & PA registered cars on the streets. PA does not require a front radar reflector, I mean license plate, and as far as I can tell, law enforcement doesn't seem to have a problem giving them their proportion of tickets. Nor have I heard of any problem with PA folks getting away with crimes because of the lack of a front license plate.

I was thinking of sending a picture of the Solstice to my State Assemblyman and Senator and asking them if they would put a front plate on such a car...
I've contacted my representative with the NJ Legislature, Senator Bob Smith. I spoke with someone in his office and wrote an e-mail. In my e-mail I used a similar law in Illinois as an example. The Illinois bill titled HB1053 is pending approval that would exempt Corvette's from the mandatory front license plate requirement. Using this example, I asked that Senator Smith introduce similar legislation in NJ for all roadsters.

Why break the law when we can change it? Remember, these representatives work for us. This is something that those of us in NJ should band together to achieve. I've already contacted Senator Smith, but he's easy to reach and e-mail. Just Google his name and his web page will pop up, or put in your address, find your representative and do the same thing. He's already sent me a copy of a letter he sent to the department of motor vehicles seeking an exemption. The more of us that demand an exemption for roadsters from the dreaded front license plate the better the likelihood that we will get this legislation passed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts