Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally could afford a third car so we can properly take care of our '08 GXP and keep it forever. I have never stored a car over the winter. I need good solid step step advice on what to do and perhaps what not to do to store the car correctly. We got the car in '08 and have driven it thru the winters. It has done pretty well and has less than 25,000 miles on it. So - here we go - anyone want to help a guy out with some advice?

·
Registered
702 Posts
We finally could afford a third car so we can properly take care of our '08 GXP and keep it forever. I have never stored a car over the winter. I need good solid step step advice on what to do and perhaps what not to do to store the car correctly. We got the car in '08 and have driven it thru the winters. It has done pretty well and has less than 25,000 miles on it. So - here we go - anyone want to help a guy out with some advice?
Well, let me list the usual suspects. :devil:

1) Top off the fuel tank.

2) Add fuel stabilizer.

3) Add "dry gas". (May not be necessary depending on how much alcohol is in your local gas.)

4) Leave battery (in the car) on an "intelligent" trickle charger. Very important and extends the life of a battery that is not particularly easy to change.

5) Going out on a limb here, but either increase the tire pressure -- or put the car on jack stands ????

6) This may be an urban legend, but put a few (clothes) "dryer sheets" under the hood to keep the mice and chipmunks out of your wiring harnesses. Or get a cat.

7) Put large wads of steel wool into the exhaust pipe(s) to discourage critters.

8) If stored in a garage, an inexpensive car cover is a nice touch. If stored outdoors, a better car cover is mandatory.

The above is from your neighbor to the north (Michigan) who has been storing his '09 GXP over the winter since, well, '09.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I'd submit a few to add to Doc's excellent list:

Of course, you want to wash and clean before storage.

After adding the fuel stabilizer, take a short drive or at least run the engine for a while to get the treated gas through the system.

The intelligent charger is a must - you can get them for 30-40 bucks. I bought one made by Schumaker that is designed to be attached right to the batter terminals and mounted underhood. I have NOT mounted it as I switch it between the Sol and my generator. (Now that I think of it, why the heck don't I just pop the $ for another one? lol)

Doc's suggestion of jack stands is a good one as your tires can develop flat spots. You can also get tire "cradles" to park on that help prevent that, though they are a bit pricey.

The car cover advice is also excellent as it will protect the car and keep you from seeing it and reminding you of how much fun you're not having because the thing is asleep for the winter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll second that list. I don't use a cover, but will throw an old (clean) bed sheet over the car if I'm working in the garage kicking up dust / debris. I'm not sure how much merit there is to this, but someone mentioned it to me, and I've been doing it for the last year or so. When you latch the top, hook it, but don't fully latch it shut. Supposedly puts less tension on the fabric and less wear and tear on the rubber seal. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
I'll second that list. I don't use a cover, but will throw an old (clean) bed sheet over the car if I'm working in the garage kicking up dust / debris. I'm not sure how much merit there is to this, but someone mentioned it to me, and I've been doing it for the last year or so. When you latch the top, hook it, but don't fully latch it shut. Supposedly puts less tension on the fabric and less wear and tear on the rubber seal. Thoughts?
the key to maintaining the seals is treating them regularly so they dont dry out.

The top does not have a problem being in tension and my opinion, not based on any actually knowledge :willy: is that having the mechanism in its fixed position is better on the various moving parts . . which are not moving.

Mostly I keep the top up because it cuts down on dust filtering into the car.

The longest time that our cars sit is about 14 days so I dont take any special precautions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
the key to maintaining the seals is treating them regularly so they dont dry out.

The top does not have a problem being in tension and my opinion, not based on any actually knowledge :willy: is that having the mechanism in its fixed position is better on the various moving parts . . which are not moving.

Mostly I keep the top up because it cuts down on dust filtering into the car.

The longest time that our cars sit is about 14 days so I dont take any special precautions.
speaking of treating the seals. This is what I use. Gummi-Pflege.

einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
848 Posts
One thing that was mentioned was garage storage vs. outside. Outside you've got much more added to do's with the prospect of vermin trying to make hay of all sorts of things on your car. If you can store in a garage this is a huge benefit. The battery of course and tires off the ground to avoid flat spotting, but the bed sheet is nice to keep dust from accumulating all over the car, avoiding paint scratches. We do this generally as we don't "store" the car over winter, but it can sit in the garage for up to 10days or so, so a sheet goes over it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts