Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one install an oil catch can on a 2.4L Solstice. If so, please let me know how the install went.

Heath

·
Registered
384 Posts
Any one install an oil catch can on a 2.4L Solstice. If so, please let me know how the install went.

Heath
I put one on my 2.4, it has a werks turbo kit though. I noted some slight oily build up on the lower pressure pipe intake side of the turbo inlet. I assumed it must be this breather hose. I installed a $16 cheapo ebay special catch can. After running it for just over 1k miles this year, I have not noted any collection of oil, in the can or the transparent tubes. The can isn't filled with wool or baffles, so it may not be great at catching oil too.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
A catch can is only neseccary on a boosted car...

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Speaking of catch can's, it seems like majority of them are junk. They don't separate the oil properly from the vapor, there's a good discussion about them and gdi here Carbon issues with direct injection engines - AnandTech Forums
The fun starts at post #81 when a gdi tech jumps into the thread.

If you can's internal's don't look like this then its not going to work properly.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Speaking of catch can's, it seems like majority of them are junk. They don't separate the oil properly from the vapor, there's a good discussion about them and gdi here Carbon issues with direct injection engines - AnandTech Forums
The fun starts at post #81 when a gdi tech jumps into the thread.

If you can's internal's don't look like this then its not going to work properly.
Now that is a catch can.

Since you pointed it out, we should confidently say that the $15 ebay can is a replica, non-functional, it's just for looks. I have also just realized that I have a legitimate Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement on my Sols, this is disturbing to me.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Just an update on my new rx catch can, had it installed for a week and did some autocross over the weekend, it caught around a table spoon of oil.
My $20 ebay catch can barely had any oil in it, and i can't remember the last time i took it apart.
Do you have a link to the specific one you bought?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Shabby,

Your post about the oil catch can is very eye opening. I recently installed the DDM CC and oil does get past it. Wish I had come across your post prior to ordering it.

The link you provided to the anandtech forum is appreciated.

As for the CC you installed, the link goes to the Web site but does not identify a specific can. Do you have a part number?

And which ports on the engine did you connect to?

And now that it has been installed for a while, how is it working?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
TEAM RXP SINGLE VALVE 4 CHAMBER CATCH CAN | RX CATCH CAN DEVELOPERS AND MANUFACTURERS
RX SINGLE VALVE CATCH CAN, RX CATCH CAN | RX CATCH CAN DEVELOPERS AND MANUFACTURERS

Either one of these will work, although i'd email them and ask what the difference is because they look identical except for the price, unless these are built differently than the $400 cans? Not sure.
There's a steel braided line that goes from the front of the valve cover to the side of the turbo, that's where you tap into, the inlet of the catch can goes to the valve cover port and the outlet goes to the turbo's port.
The catch can that has 3 ports can also be made to work on our cars but it needs a retune because one port is connected to the intake manifold and the engine looses vacuum and makes the ecm go bonkers. You can possibly tune this out but i didn't bother with it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
TEAM RXP SINGLE VALVE 4 CHAMBER CATCH CAN | RX CATCH CAN DEVELOPERS AND MANUFACTURERS
RX SINGLE VALVE CATCH CAN, RX CATCH CAN | RX CATCH CAN DEVELOPERS AND MANUFACTURERS

Either one of these will work, although i'd email them and ask what the difference is because they look identical except for the price, unless these are built differently than the $400 cans? Not sure.
There's a steel braided line that goes from the front of the valve cover to the side of the turbo, that's where you tap into, the inlet of the catch can goes to the valve cover port and the outlet goes to the turbo's port.
The catch can that has 3 ports can also be made to work on our cars but it needs a retune because one port is connected to the intake manifold and the engine looses vacuum and makes the ecm go bonkers. You can possibly tune this out but i didn't bother with it.
shabby
I got from the other forum that the function of the third port, which is a second outlet, is to reduce the velocity of the vapors going through the CC so that the vapor can turn liquid prior to exiting the CC.

I emailed the vendor the question and will post the answer.

I started another thread in the GXP section regarding CC's. The CC manufacturer would like a Solstice in their shop in Florida so they can design a system for it. They will do the install for free, but the CC will have to be purchased. I'm also putting together a group buy to get $50 off the purchase price.

·
Registered
371 Posts
shabby,

Here is the answer from manufacturer regarding the third port and vacuum loss:

This is a closed system and there isn’t a vacuum leak.. that’s why we run the check valves.. if you have a turbo you would benefit from the 3 port ( dual check valve) can..

The check valve going to manifold vacuum closes under boost so it doesn’t blow into the can..

Then at idle the check valve going to the turbo inlet will close so you are pulling manifold vacuum.. this way you are always evacuating and this is what you want.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I talked to them 2 years ago when i bought it and the third port isn't for our cars, our pcv setup is built differently than other cars. Other cars have the pcv hooked up to the intake manifold, ours isn't and this would create a vacuum leak. Pull the vacuum booster/bpv hose from the intake manifold and see how the car idles, that's how it idled when i installed the third port, the check valve is to prevent boost going into the can only.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I talked to them 2 years ago when i bought it and the third port isn't for our cars, our pcv setup is built differently than other cars. Other cars have the pcv hooked up to the intake manifold, ours isn't and this would create a vacuum leak. Pull the vacuum booster/bpv hose from the intake manifold and see how the car idles, that's how it idled when i installed the third port, the check valve is to prevent boost going into the can only.
Catch can manufacturers reply:

The LNF needs a dual check valve setup with a turbo. You always want the crankcase under vacuum if possible.. This is a sealed system.. you can evacuate from the pcv or the valve cover .. you just need to keep a vacuum on the interior of the engine.. imagine it as a box with moving parts and you want to suck the crap out.. ( blow by) entering constantly

Since we are discussing catch cans on a LNF, I will start a new thread in the proper discussion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
They would like to have a LNF Solstice in their shop to design, install and test their catch can system.
They would do the install for free. Only cost to the car owner is the catch can itself - $399 minus $50
They are located in Florida.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I contacted them a few weeks ago to get their recommendation and I am still waiting...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts