Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions concerning an oil catch can. I have read a lot of stuff on this forum concerning the necessity of a can, but whether you need one or not is not an issue for me. I am the type who likes to add shiny bits to my engine bay. I have seen DDM's catch can on other cars and for me, although they look very functional, they don't have enough of that bling value. I have found several on e-bay that are cylindrical aluminum, either polished or anodized. My question is when I enter the year and make of my car, 08 GXP, they all say that this device is not compatible with my car. Is this just because they don't have a mounting bracket that can be used on the Solstice or what? I mean you can mount the thing almost anywhere, can you not? Also some of them have a little breather on the top. What type of application needs this breather?

Don from Nanaimo

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
First, read this: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/why-where-you-should-shouldnt-run-oil-catch-can-occ-lnf-kappa-71640/

Then... there's no reason the ones on eBay can't be made "compatible" with the kappas EXCEPT when I went looking once I found that many are just too big to fit in our engine bay (check the sizes yourself and remember you have to route thick rubber tubes into and out of them too!)

Secondly, the majority on eBay are just empty cans with a couple of pipe-holes. No internal baffling or even internal extension tubes that will make the oil vapor condense inside rather than just flow on through. There's a reason they're cheap!

DDM's is expensive (comparatively) BUT it has internal mesh and tubes and is designed to fit in our cars. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
834 Posts
First, read this: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/why-where-you-should-shouldnt-run-oil-catch-can-occ-lnf-kappa-71640/

Secondly, the majority on eBay are just empty cans with a couple of pipe-holes. No internal baffling or even internal extension tubes that will make the oil vapor condense inside rather than just flow on through. There's a reason they're cheap!

DDM's is expensive (comparatively) BUT it has internal mesh and tubes and is designed to fit in our cars. You get what you pay for.
Was about to post the same thread link.

And while doing some shopping for a catch can recently, with all the catch cans that are empty on the inside, DDMs looks like the front runner for my choice of catch can.

If all you want is more "bling", why not just chrome the DDM one, or paint it, or vinyl wrap it however you like? At least that way you know you're getting a quality product, at a fair price, custom made for your car.

And just to be clear, no I do not work for, or benefit/gain in any way by promoting DDM. I do so because their customer service is second to none (just search the boards for all the positive reviews compared to many other vendors, even sponsoring ones), and they only sell quality products with a lot of thought behind their design and implementation, which cannot be said for many parts for the kappa.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. Don't get me wrong, I too am a fan of DDM and I have and still am considering their OCC. It is just that looks count for me and I love the look of the polished aluminum cans I have seen on e-bay.
Thanks again, Don

·
Registered
834 Posts
Not sure what it's made out of since I don't actually have one, but I'm assuming stainless steel or aluminium, both of which can be chromed and/or polished.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Was about to post the same thread link.

And while doing some shopping for a catch can recently, with all the catch cans that are empty on the inside, DDMs looks like the front runner for my choice of catch can.

If all you want is more "bling", why not just chrome the DDM one, or paint it, or vinyl wrap it however you like? At least that way you know you're getting a quality product, at a fair price, custom made for your car.

And just to be clear, no I do not work for, or benefit/gain in any way by promoting DDM. I do so because their customer service is second to none (just search the boards for all the positive reviews compared to many other vendors, even sponsoring ones), and they only sell quality products with a lot of thought behind their design and implementation, which cannot be said for many parts for the kappa.
:agree: I have my DDM one painted yellow. I love the look of it!:thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts