Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2008 GXP from a private party. Looking over the service records I noticed some dumb mechanic at the dealer put regular GM oil
(GM6019M) in the engine on the most current oil change. The previous owner has 4,500 miles on that oil. The oil calculator said the oil still had 22% left. I have not driven the car as of yet, but I changed the oil to Mobile 1. Does anyone think running regular GM6019M 10W-30 for 4,500 miles did damage to the engine?

Also I have never owned a car with an oil change calculator. Is it wise to let the oil changes be dictated by the car? I am use to changing my oil and filter every 2,000 miles. I use 20W-50 Castrol in my Fiero. My Fiero now has 250,000 miles on it and the engine has never been rebuilt or even smoke.

·
Registered
269 Posts
its too bad they didn't run synthetic. it probably didn't hurt. but more importantly was how the car was driven. if it wasn't driven hard i wouldn't worry too much.....however its the turbo bearings i would be worried about. if the owner drove the car hard and didn't let the car/turbo cool down by idling for 5 minutes or so before shut down, the turbo bearing(bushings in our case i think) take a beating.....regular oil can cook inside the housing and restrict oil flow and the bushings like good oil......thats what i generally hear about regular oil in turbos. I say mobil1 will probably clean out anything that may have cooked on in there and if the engine purrs and the turbo whistles normal, then i would assume everything is normal......even conventional oils are dam good these days, just not preferable.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It probably did have Mobil1 put in it. There currently is an offer in place where Pontiac and Saturn owners get free oil changes for a year from the GM facility designated on a coupon that was mailed.
The service manager where I took my car was kinda pissed because under this program, they only get reimbursed for a regular oil change even though the coupon states that the oil included is that recommended for the car (Mobil1).
The only numbers that the dealer can submit under this program are the ones for the regular oil change and that is why all invoices including those that had the synthetic replaced reflect this.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just bought my 2008 GXP from a private party. Looking over the service records I noticed some dumb mechanic at the dealer put regular GM oil
(GM6019M) in the engine on the most current oil change. The previous owner has 4,500 miles on that oil. The oil calculator said the oil still had 22% left. I have not driven the car as of yet, but I changed the oil to Mobile 1. Does anyone think running regular GM6019M 10W-30 for 4,500 miles did damage to the engine?
It's hard to answer that question without knowing how hard it was driven. In any event, you are covered by the General's five year, 100,000 mile drive train warranty.

Also I have never owned a car with an oil change calculator. Is it wise to let the oil changes be dictated by the car?
Well, a friend of mine is a retired GM engineer that helped develop that system and he swears it is effective and to be believed. No system is perfect, but the remaining oil life system takes advantage of all the sensor data available, the on board computer and some pretty sophisticated software. However, if you are a "belt and suspenders" conservative kind of a guy, feel free to change the oil every 3000 miles like they tell you at the oil change shops. :devil:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Follow the oil life monitor and change it no more than 12 months with synthetic. Such as the case for all turbo gas engines.

Norm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts