Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my car will be possible arriving in the next week or soooooo! I have a question and hopefully someone could assist me on this.

With the weather in Ohio my Sol is a pleasure type vehicle and I will be storing it for the winter and will not really get a good brake in period with the original factory oil. Should I change the oil in the spring or should I wait and get everything broken in and after the first 1000 change the oil? I will not get many miles on her before the snow flies and she will not see that S**T! :lol:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I sure dont blame you for wanting to keep it out of the salt. I like to go about 2k on a new engine before changing the break in oil out, and I would feel better if I could manage that before I put her away for the season. If you get the car next week, hopefully you can get enough miles on it before the snow flies to get that done. Personally, I never really store my car in the winter ( Im in Ohio too), there are always a few days when the roads are clean enough to take a drive. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I really would like to get a good answer to this question. I am not sure if I should change the oil after the winter has passed. I will not have many miles on the brake in oil and would like to no if I should change this oil in the spring.

PS. by the way we have snow coming in tomorrow!!!!!!!! :willy:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You will be fine leaving the factory oil in the vehicle through the snow season.

·
Registered
819 Posts
buckeyewilky said:
I really would like to get a good answer to this question. I am not sure if I should change the oil after the winter has passed. I will not have many miles on the brake in oil and would like to no if I should change this oil in the spring.

Buckey,

The snow is here today. In Central Illinois, they are predicting only flurries, and that is what it has been to this point. I just hope it is the same when it gets to you. Congrats on your new ride. Mine should be here next week, according weo my dealer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crawdad, I don't have my ride yet, it is at event code 4150 since 10/28. I am just trying to preplan when it comes in ect. The only problem about maybe where you live is that we do get at times lake effect snow off of Lake Erie!!!!!
I believe that the snow they are calling for will be in the typical lake effect area of Lake county,ect.

·
Registered
518 Posts
buckeyewilky said:

OK, when you get the 1k on it (assuming that is when you want the break in oil out), no matter if its this year or next spring, change the oil and filter. Go by the miles not the time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
buckeyewilky said:
Crawdad, I don't have my ride yet, it is at event code 4150 since 10/28. I am just trying to preplan when it comes in ect. The only problem about maybe where you live is that we do get at times lake effect snow off of Lake Erie!!!!!
I believe that the snow they are calling for will be in the typical lake effect area of Lake county,ect.
I am glad I am far enough away from the lakes not to have that problem. I know what it is like, though. I spent two weeks, several years ago, in the Cleveland area. My company sent me for training in Cleveland in December, of all times to go to Cleveland. It snowed while we were there. 6" in the area where I was staying, 12 " toward Pittsburgh and only a dusting where my aunt and uncle live on the west side of Cleveland.

At least I have an idea how to drive in the snow. There were a couple of people in our class from Florida and Texas. The guy from Florida had never even seen snow.

·
Registered
518 Posts
buckeyewilky said:
Thanks windface, I understand what you mean.
Your welcome sir. I am a little further down south in Ohio, but I sure know what trouble that old lake can stir up in the snow belt. Hope that new ride shows up for you next week.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Merlin has asked to stay home tomorrow if the 1 inch of snow comes as expected ...but as soon as the sun (??? :willy: ) comes back he'll ask to be let out again.

Maybe we'll go visit Marisol

·
Registered
667 Posts
You will be fine by leaving low mileage oil in your car. The worst thing you can do though is to go out and let it idle from time to time over the winter without it getting up to normal operation temps. If you do this you will generate a fair amount of water vapor (condensate) that will become acidic and will do your engine / exhaust no good at all. You might find that the weather God's will smile on you from time to time over the winter and allow you to get your car out for an extended drive. If you get this opportunity make sure you operate your AC (to keep the compressor seals conditioned )and use all the systems / switchware to keep the contact surfaces clean. Check your owners manual and see if it OK to take the ground wire off the battery. If so, buy yourself a good trickle charger and use it from time to time rather then starting the car for that purpose. Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
buckeyewilky said:
Look outside it's snowing right now!!! :brentil:

·
Registered
166 Posts
heheheh, snow?? snowing in the US and not in Canada?? I'm in Toronto and winters are fairly light here. (from what i'm used to anyway). I just find it amusing that it's apparently snowing in Ohio right now and i'm in the apparent "great white north" and i saw some dude mowing his lawn a couple days ago...not having to enduring hectic winters is one of the many reasons i moved here. This will be my 2nd winter here and i'm sure it'll be as easy as last winter (not too bad at all) :)

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
druid-2 said:
Maybe we'll go visit Marisol
I HEARD that!

Yes, come on down. She would LOVE to see y'all. Obviously I have plenty of time to show y'all around Houston, NASA, etc, etc (oops, only one etc in Houston).

A little chilly today, so I had to put my jacket on. But MARiSOL is still topless (and SUCH a flirt!). Tell Merlin that MARiSOL wants to meet him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts