Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Definitely. I don't believe excess oil would be any good to the engine, in fact a more extreme case might be bad. Plus they overcharged you probably since they sold you an extra quart of oil.

I would get on the phone with them in a heartbeat and have them fix it. They should put it on the ramp or pit and let you have a look. Check the drain plug for seepage, drips and for signs of wear (as in too much wrench marking on the drain plug head). If you feel the plug has been reused or overtightened, you should ask them to install a new one. Factory torque for the plug is 25Nm or 18.4 lb.ft. You can get it from Rock Auto or AutoZone if the Valvoline place doesn't stock them. And last of all, have they drain that extra quart of oil and refund you for overselling!

PS. This time around it would be ideal if you could stay with the car and watch them do the service. If you have a mechanically savvy friend it's time he/she did you a solid and came along to the oil shop to watch the guys as they drain your oil/replace the plug and fix the screwups they did.
Thanks for the help! Last time I tried to get in the pit with them, they said they couldn't for liability. I will certainly check out the plug though and have them drail out some oil.

·
Administrator
11,005 Posts
Definitely check the plug and the filter cap. Also have them remove the extra oil immediately.

Reactions: agent008

·
Administrator
11,005 Posts
Over here in Brazil they would easily accomodate to such a request. Unless they have something to hide...

But I understand things in the US might/will be different.
Some places will and some won't. Most are concerned about injury liability. Or at least, that's what their signs say.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Some places will and some won't. Most are concerned about injury liability. Or at least, that's what their signs say.
Well risk of liability is greatly mitigated if you go down there just for a looksee, while nobody is working on the vehicle. I would insist on that. Last case scenario I'd go somewhere else to look and take photos, then if there's a problem, would go back to the Valvoline place and show them the photos.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well risk of liability is greatly mitigated if you go down there just for a looksee, while nobody is working on the vehicle. I would insist on that. Last case scenario I'd go somewhere else to look and take photos, then if there's a problem, would go back to the Valvoline place and show them the photos.
the liability issue trumps all, if you bump your head they're liable...

Bill

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,769 Posts
Well, at least the courts system is much faster (less slow?) than over here.
well the Depp/Heard thing was filed at the beginning of 2019 and it just finished last month. 3 1/2 years is faster than in Brazil? COVID didn't slow things down. that time is typical even before COVID.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,769 Posts
Oh wow. that is crazy slow.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
283 Posts
Manual says to use Mobil 1. I do it myself and that's what I use. I drive her up on low profile ramps. Good place to do it right and save money. Bought the special socket thing for the filter.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts