Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM recommends oil change intervals of 5K miles. Typically, I change mine every 3K. I only put about 6K miles on my car every year.

So the question is do I use GM's, 3K miles, or the DIC to determine oil change intervals?

Also, what is the benefit of changing the oil after the first 100 or so miles?

Let me know some thoughts :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
FloridaSol said:
GM recommends oil change intervals of 5K miles. Typically, I change mine every 3K. I only put about 6K miles on my car every year.

So the question is do I use GM's, 3K miles, or the DIC to determine oil change intervals?

Also, what is the benefit of changing the oil after the first 100 or so miles?

Let me know some thoughts :)
We change it every three or at least twice a year.We usually only put 4000 miles if that on our cars that we put away for the winter.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They recommend 5000 miles in the event that you do not have the DIC. If the DIC is there then use it.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/27507284319.jpg&s=x1

Oddly, if you reset the engine oil life monitor accidentally before it is time they suggest changing at 3000 miles

Do a search for chaging the oil after the break in period. There has been discussion about this, but it might not answer your question exactly. In a nutshell, you want to change the oil because the engine is not operating at its best performance yet. It is burning a little oil and parts are wearing so that the fit to each other exactly.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've read over the entire manual now. It states to follow the DIC for when to change oil, OR to change the oil at least once a year.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I grew up with a Dad and Brother pounding into me to change oil every 3000 miles. I only have 2200+ miles on my car and have changed the oil already. Some habits are hard to break. Please have pity on us die hards! :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn't change the oil after 100 miles but I would change it after 1000, when the motor should be broken in. During break-in, the parts are fitting together and you may end up with more than usual metal debris in the oil. I realize motor break-in is one of those controversial topics but I figure the worst you're doing is using more motor oil with a change at the 1000 mile mark. Better safe than sorry. I've always done my first oil change after the first 1000 miles and have never had any major engine problems. After the break-in oil change, I change somewhere between 3k and 5k, depending on how I've been driving and the time since the last change. I've never had a car that turned into an "oil burner" and that includes a rotary RX-7. :)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'm going to do the change after first 1000 miles too. Manual does not mention it so it could be overkill but what the heck.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Will change oil after 500 miles,because,it's hit the high road,no look'in back,get-a-way time.Want fresh blood pumping through her veins,might be gone awhile,want the peace of mind. :cool:The way tolerances are now in the engine,the breakin period is necessary but not as critical as it used to be.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"I wouldn't change the oil after 100 miles but I would change it after 1000, when the motor should be broken in. "
Oil is one of those things that no one really can know about thru personal experience, I'm convinced of that. That doesn't mean there aren't strong opinions out there. Ignorance never got in the way of forming strong opinions
amongst some people. The only things I've heard from oil companies that I remember are that 1) if you're using a synthetic oil, wait until break in
before switching over. I forget the mileage they recommend, but as I recall it was quite high (way beyond a few thousand miles). I also know that some engines take along while to break in - one authority claimed that small block Chevys (this claim made during the 1980's) sometimes needed 12,000 miles
before the rings were finally seated, which is, by and large, what breakin is all about. In the old days, cars sometimes came with breakin oil (my 63 MGB was one). Apparently this was an oil whose characteristics facilitated wear.
I was told to NOT drive the car for over 500 miles and bring it back for a
regular oil change before then. GM at one time published a chart which showed wear (in terms of weight of metal shavings in the oil) according
to oil weight classes. That was when GM recommended 5W30 oil, I believe,
for all their cars. Of course, climate would make a difference, I suppose, but I can't remember what,if anything, they said about that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
go with synthetic, 5000 is fine, and if you forget and go past that it really doesnt matter, synthetic doesnt break down like regular oil. it can get dirty, but it never loses its viscosity or lubricating properties (well almost never, 25K miles or so).

·
Registered
119 Posts
You may want to check out an interesting book called "Drive It Forever." It has a number of break-in tips. I believe it's still in print. Take the recommendations for what they're worth but I believe most of them err on the conservative side and are simple enough to follow. The whole point is to minimize any future engine problems and I've just never had any major ones. Was I just lucky? Maybe, maybe not. You decide. ;)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Cooler King said:
You may want to check out an interesting book called "Drive It Forever." It has a number of break-in tips. I believe it's still in print. Take the recommendations for what they're worth but I believe most of them err on the conservative side and are simple enough to follow. The whole point is to minimize any future engine problems and I've just never had any major ones. Was I just lucky? Maybe, maybe not. You decide. ;)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965757706/104-6162336-0026359?v=glance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts