Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on cleaning up my motor and trans combo, and noticed something I haven't ran across before...

My 2006 2.4 has an oil cooler on the back side of the block. Appears to be a water to oil cooler...

Is there anyway to remove it, or just have an air to oil cooler?

I haven't tried fitting yet, but its location may be an interference....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Question ...... from your Avatar I believe I see what might be a Cutlass automobile. I won't have an answer for you. And I suspect on this Kappa car forum involving Pontiac Solstice and Saturn SKY two seat sports cars equipped with EcoTec four cylinder engines, you may be hard pressed to get an answer here. Maybe yours has an EcoTec engine? :willy:

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Working on cleaning up my motor and trans combo, and noticed something I haven't ran across before...

My 2006 2.4 has an oil cooler on the back side of the block. Appears to be a water to oil cooler...

2006 is the only year that the service manuals that I have reference an oil cooler for the 2.4, so my guess is that it was determined to be unnecessary. The '07 and '08 manuals only reference one for the 2.0.

You can probably eliminate it if it is in the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question ...... from your Avatar I believe I see what might be a Cutlass automobile. I won't have an answer for you. And I suspect on this Kappa car forum involving Pontiac Solstice and Saturn SKY two seat sports cars equipped with EcoTec four cylinder engines, you may be hard pressed to get an answer here. Maybe yours has an EcoTec engine? :willy:
HAHA, That is actually my '82 BMW that is getting a complete Solstice swap...
More or less by the time I am done it will be a hardtop 2 door solstice with a trunk and back seat....

Cutlassboy68 comes from years of restoring classic cars, I used to specialize in GM A bodies, and my favorite was a 68 cutlass that was in multiple magazines...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My 2006 does not have an oil cooler; seems it was eliminated early in the production year. The connection ports for the cooler are plugged, as far as I can tell - that part of the engine is very hard to see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2006 does not have an oil cooler; seems it was eliminated early in the production year. The connection ports for the cooler are plugged, as far as I can tell - that part of the engine is very hard to see.
Awesome, so I should be able to put plugs/plates in the ports and still be fine with no flow issues?

It's not an aesthetic issue, but it takes up a good 3" that MAY be needed for proper fitment... I have not test fitted yet... Will probably be a week or so... It seems like an odd place to put an oil cooler IMO, and a water cooled oil cooler just seems weird, and not very efficient...

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
The oil cooler serves two purposes, one to cool the oil but the other to warm it.

The normal desire is to have the oil at 230-260, so cooling it with water at 190-200 F actually makes sense.

It is also desirable to get the engine to operating temperature as soon as possible, so heating the oil makes sense too.

Clearly, GM decided that the benefits were not worth the cost for the 2.4.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's my opinion that having an oil cooler is always better than not having an oil cooler. I'd keep it if you can. If you do have to delete it, I'd do some research on how GM deleted it. There is an oil inlet and outlet to the cooler that is straight out of the block. Given the location of the cooler, the inlet may be coming from the oil pump. Plugging the inlet may starve some part of the motor from oil pressure. Just a guess, but I'd be sure GM didn't make any internal changes so it could delete the cooler.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think GM deleted it because the oil may not get hot enough in such a small engine; not hot enough = oil/water emulsion, because the water doesn't boil out of the water fast enough.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts

The later 2.4L did not have the oil cooler, so you should be fine to remove it from the engine. In order to remove it though, there is some work that has to be done, which is not going to be easy to do if the engine is installed. There is a tube that is pressed into the oil filter housing that you have to remove from the back of the engine. That tube routes oil through the oil filter housing into the cooler. The oil enters back into the oil filter housing through another hole, which will need to be plugged. We have done this a couple times here when doing very specific builds, but only while the engine is out of the vehicle. Also, the coolant hose on the back of the engine will need to be modified if the cooler is removed.

Honestly, not sure why you would want to remove the oil cooler though. It is a lot of work to remove something taht works pretty well and actually helps warm the oil up to operating temperature faster than without it.

Hope that helps though,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
......Honestly, not sure why you would want to remove the oil cooler though. It is a lot of work to remove something that works pretty well and actually helps warm the oil up to operating temperature faster than without it.......
Great information as always, Dave. Thank you.

Since you missed this in the dialog:
.........It's not an aesthetic issue, but it takes up a good 3" that MAY be needed for proper fitment... ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The later 2.4L did not have the oil cooler, so you should be fine to remove it from the engine. In order to remove it though, there is some work that has to be done, which is not going to be easy to do if the engine is installed. There is a tube that is pressed into the oil filter housing that you have to remove from the back of the engine. That tube routes oil through the oil filter housing into the cooler. The oil enters back into the oil filter housing through another hole, which will need to be plugged. We have done this a couple times here when doing very specific builds, but only while the engine is out of the vehicle. Also, the coolant hose on the back of the engine will need to be modified if the cooler is removed.

Honestly, not sure why you would want to remove the oil cooler though. It is a lot of work to remove something taht works pretty well and actually helps warm the oil up to operating temperature faster than without it.

Hope that helps though,
Dave

Thank you Dave,

I read about a now discontinued GM parts kit to do this, but haven't been able to find one available.

I'm hoping to "test fit" the drive train this week. (slide it into the engine compartment and see what fitment issues I have).

-Lee

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Cutlassboy68 comes from years of restoring classic cars, I used to specialize in GM A bodies, and my favorite was a 68 cutlass that was in multiple magazines...
Neat - we had an F85 1965 Cutlass with 330 ci engine that was fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Here is the removal of the tube in the race car's motor. I had a tap that was nearly perfect for the outside hole. To seal the tube side, I cut the tube down, welded it close, and made a plate that was jb welded/bolted on the outside.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
That's odd. I would have thought you'd have to make a pipe to connect the two ports to complete the circuit rather than blocking it off.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
unless things have change, typically the oil cooler on an oem vehicle is not a full flow circuit, instead it is a partial flow just like the relief valve is on or around the oil filter; so blocking off should have no effect

Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
That's odd. I would have thought you'd have to make a pipe to connect the two ports to complete the circuit rather than blocking it off.
Read this post from Dave, and look at the picture in post #15.

Hope that helps though,
Dave
By removing the tube you short-circuit the oil that would have gone through the cooler. So you don't just block anything off.

Because of the way the cooler works, it very likely is full-flow. It is trying to heat the oil at start-up, and it is using hot water to cool hotter oil. Full-flow is good in both cases.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You could make something that connected one hole to the other but that area is already pretty packed on the race car. The non-cooler Ecotec's don't machine those holes into the block. So blocking them off is easy (after removing the tube obviously).

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Yeap, just remove the tube and plug the 2 holes. We actually used one of the plugs with the 10mm socket head in it from the front of the cylinder head to plug the hole in the back. The fit was just about perfect for the size of hole once the tube is removed and we have a bunch of them here from all the engine we tear down. To remove the tube, we did almost the exact same thing that you did mcfandango, we tapped the tube internally and used a slide hammer to get it out. It came out much easier than we actually thought it would.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts