Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a good, separate oil cooler for the LNF? The stock "cooler/heater" seems impossible to access to remove while the engine is in the car. DDM has a remote filter kit for a Polaris Slingshot (and also a remote sender to fit in the filter cavity), that maybe could kind of work to also add a cooler into. But where to put a cooler (ie the plate part).

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Well...the o-rings on the factory oil cooler fail. If you look at almost any GXP/Redline, I can almost guarantee with certainty, that the o-rings are leaking.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Without an oil temperature gauge, it would be a sheer assumption to suggest that there is any oil temperature issue that needs solving. Maybe one of the racers that have fitted a gauge can speak up...?

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
I have the DDM Remote oil filter kit on my car it's a great upgrade adds a quart of oil to the capacity and allows the use of a standard car filter . I have close to $400.00 in my setup ,adapter ,braided steel lines and fittings ,billet filter housing ,and the mount for the remote filter set up just to give you an idea of the cost with everything but the adapter and mount (custom made )purchased from Summit Racing . The only issue is mounting the remote filter set up I had a mount made but am not happy with it so my winter project is having a new one made .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Depending on if it's got it's own fan you can mount it anywhere. If no fan you obviously gotta put it somewhere where there's good airflow. Can you slap it in front of the radiator?

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Sting Ya do you have a photo of where it's mounted? I'd love to see it.

So no, I've barely driven the car since I got it, but it's going to autocross, and sit between runs just heak soaking, even with the engine running and hood up. So I want to do everything proactive I can to keep it all cool. It's my first turbo car but I've heard about TurboTimers and oil caking... anything to cool it all down would help I imagine. Very few factory cars come with enough race-type technology to really withstand track days or racing (Corvettes, latest 1LE Camaro, and maybe GT350/500 Mustangs are about it). The car won't see a lot of winter driving, if any aside from moving around on my driveway, so over-cooling is really not a worry of mine. I consider the cost of parts less important than reliability and ability to drive it home on its own after a hard day, withough worrying that I've cooked the turbo or burnt the oil or need to call a tow truck or friend with a trailer.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
You should be aware that the oil ashing issue was big when running dino oil but not nearly the problem with cars running synthetic oils like the GXP. If you are worried about heat, by all means borrow an infrared gun and tabulate sump temps after runs - I'm sure many here would be interested in that data including me, but I doubt a normal slalom run with cool off (even in hot weather) between is going to cause a problem. If I am incorrect, I'd sure like to know about it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts